Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
RLHicks

I Am Looking For A Critique Partner

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to this site and am looking for a critique partner and possible co-collaborator for my new Christian fiction, suspense/romance novel. I am in the early stages of the process and would like someone to bounce character development and plot ideas off of, if that is something that can be done through this site.  I am willing to provide similar services in return. Then once I nail down the rest of my characters and begin writing my first draft, I would like to exchange writings with my critique partner to better my work (and theirs). I'm looking for someone (or a few someones) that I can build a relationship with for future projects as well. It is my understanding that this is one of the best forums and sites to accomplish this.

Thanks!

RL, I removed your email address as bots roam the site and love to gobble up email addresses. If you'd like for others to contact you, you can use the site's messaging system. :)

Hi, RL!

I saw your message and thought, what a great idea. I've got a lovely accountability partner through this site and it definitely makes a difference. My biggest constraint is time, and I'm not sure whether I could commit to walking with you all the way from outlining through to final draft. But I'm happy to talk about plots, genre tropes, outlines and character arcs and generally encourage and be encouraged to keep my nose to the grindstone.

This site has a great private messaging tool which, I think, could be a good way to collaborate.

Edit: And I see Lynn beat me to the punch about the messaging system.

Edited by EBraten
Cross-posted

Hi L, thanks for that. I had no idea about bots.  Yikes!  I'm such a rookie. 🙄  Was the rest of the post okay?

Hi EB, yeah I didn't know about the messaging system. I'll try using that from now on.  I appreciate your offer and understand about time constraints.

In the message system, am I able to post questions or is it for message specific people only?

You can select who you want to message and I think it can either be a one-to-one or a group chat.

Hi RL,

You might consider using the critique forums a few times.  This will give others a chance to see some of your work, and how you critique.  It will also give you a chance to see their work, and how they critique.  This will help you find the best possible critique partner for you.  It takes a few more post than you have, and a little time for the system to catch up, but you're not far from having access to it.  You could join us in the other forums for a nice chat! 

I believe post count is also applied to the private messages.  

Ahh! I guess I didn't remember there being a limit to comments. You probably need 10 comments and wait until the system catches up. Sorry about that. 

Hi Alley,

I haven't posted anything to the critique board yet because I don't have anything to critique. I'm still in the outlining stages and haven't started my first draft.  I've been struggling with some of my character and plot developments and was looking for help with that.  I guess I thought the critique section was only if you had a manuscript or parts of a manuscript ready to be critiqued... am I wrong or can it be used for my purposed as well?

Thanks.

Sorry, RL,

I thought that you had some written and was not sure where to go from there.  EB is a good one for idea bouncing!  It seems like you are on the right track!  Wishing you all the best on your writing!