Jump to content

Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Michael S. Rogers

Publishing And Book Trailer

Recommended Posts

I'm currently exploring how to run my own publishing house, A2G Media, but before I offer opportunities to other writers I want to learn how to make great book trailers.  Does anyone know of any free or low-cost ways to make it great? I believe in doing a ministry of excellence with duct tape and paper clips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael S. Rogers said:

I believe in doing a ministry of excellence with duct tape and paper clips!

This sounds interesting!  I've got the duct tape, but sadly not paper clips. 

 

I don't know how to make them.  However, I found some stuff for you to look at.  Some of it is tech stuff; some are examples.  

Here is a tech one.  

http://jenbetton.blogspot.com/2018/06/making-simple-book-trailer-with-imovie.html

 

And another,

http://kidlitartists.blogspot.com/2018/07/making-book-trailer-in-imovie.html

 

Here's one for kids, so they use understandable language.  

https://imaginationsoup.net/how-to-make-your-own-book-trailer-kids/

 

What a book trailer should accomplish;

http://lindaksienkiewicz.com/in-the-context-of-love-book-trailer/

 

Plus here are some examples of different kinds of book trailers.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Warning!  The following link is not a Christian site!  

This is a stupidly simple trailer, and the most well-received trailer I have seen yet.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-wR7VUa1EY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 7:33 PM, Michael S. Rogers said:

I'm currently exploring how to run my own publishing house

 

Congratulations on your new venture!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o_O   I too have missed the opportunity to congratulate you.  Let's try this again.  

 

Congratulations!  Quick, happy dance!  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 5:33 PM, Michael S. Rogers said:

I want to learn how to make great book trailers. 

I'm not sure we have offered much help here, but ... to celebrate your efforts, may I offer you some ...

 

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 11.04.22 AM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the best with your publishing house and I hope your efforts to learn how to make book trailers pay off. 

May I have one or two of your cookies?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 5:33 PM, Michael S. Rogers said:

I'm currently exploring how to run my own publishing house, A2G Media,

We authors are always interested in new publishers!  Please keep us up to date! 

I agree that video trailers are powerful aids to marketing.  You will need actors and props when you don't do the static quote thing.  Do you think you will be able to interview readers giving endorsements?  Readers like to see the author in their home stomping grounds.  

What are your thoughts on what a trailer looks like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before you start soliciting authors, suggest you line up a few specialists: editors, artists, IT, marketing. You might have some of these skills yourself, but few people can do them all at the professional level that you'll need.

Edited by Steven Hutson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 2:03 PM, Coolscribe said:

All the best with your publishing house and I hope your efforts to learn how to make book trailers pay off. 

May I have one or two of your cookies?

 

I'm usually stingy with my cookies, but you asked so nicely...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 2:45 PM, Steven Hutson said:

Before you start soliciting authors, suggest you line up a few specialists: editors, artists, IT, marketing. You might have some of these skills yourself, but few people can do them all at the professional level that you'll need.

 

Thanks, Steve!  I actually do have a marketing person and my daughter is going to school for digital animation.  Their addition to my team is part of the reason for my decision to jump in. More time is needed, though, before we solicit authors. We will let people know here when we are ready!. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 12:05 AM, Alley said:

This sounds interesting!  I've got the duct tape, but sadly not paper clips. 

 

I don't know how to make them.  However, I found some stuff for you to look at.  Some of it is tech stuff; some are examples.  

Here is a tech one.  

http://jenbetton.blogspot.com/2018/06/making-simple-book-trailer-with-imovie.html

 

And another,

http://kidlitartists.blogspot.com/2018/07/making-book-trailer-in-imovie.html

 

Here's one for kids, so they use understandable language.  

https://imaginationsoup.net/how-to-make-your-own-book-trailer-kids/

 

What a book trailer should accomplish;

http://lindaksienkiewicz.com/in-the-context-of-love-book-trailer/

 

Plus here are some examples of different kinds of book trailers.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Warning!  The following link is not a Christian site!  

This is a stupidly simple trailer, and the most well-received trailer I have seen yet.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-wR7VUa1EY

Thanks, Alley!  It's going to take me some time to get through all the resources you offered!  You rock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Michael S. Rogers said:

You rock!

Can you tell my kids that?  😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, carolinamtne said:

(like another 20 years or so),

That's a long test of patience!  xD  At least I will be able to rock for small moments of time.  Like when the cookies come out of the oven.  I've got about three minutes until they are all eaten, then it's back to mom.  ¬¬  😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2018 at 7:46 PM, Alley said:

That's a long test of patience!  xD  At least I will be able to rock for small moments of time.  Like when the cookies come out of the oven.  I've got about three minutes until they are all eaten, then it's back to mom.  ¬¬  😊

See? Just like a rock star.  Three minutes while the song is playing, then back on the road to the next gig....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2018 at 8:02 PM, Nicola said:

We authors are always interested in new publishers!  Please keep us up to date! 

I agree that video trailers are powerful aids to marketing.  You will need actors and props when you don't do the static quote thing.  Do you think you will be able to interview readers giving endorsements?  Readers like to see the author in their home stomping grounds.  

What are your thoughts on what a trailer looks like?

Thanks, I will!  I actually hadn't thought of interviewing readers giving endorsements--what a great idea!  Trailers can be as diverse as the books they represent.  I've seen good ones that have the static quotes, good ones that have someone reading part of the text, and good ones that have actors and props.  I'm guessing I would have to start with the first two to keep the cost down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Michael S. Rogers said:

I'm guessing I would have to start with the first two to keep the cost down.

We've got a few film people on this site.  If they stop in, I'm sure they'll let you know!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nicola said:

New resource?

Love it!  I have it saved.  Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your endeavor!

 

As Christian authors/entrepreneurs it is important not to be discouraged to use what resources you have available - no matter how humble. Everyone would love a creative team with the newest technology, but for new authors the expense is often behind their reach,...yet quality work is not. 

 

Book trailers are a completely different medium than literature, and what writing is needed is marketing/screenwriting, which is VASTLY different skill set from authoring a book. Yet with research and study anyone can learn to edit audio and video clips. It's totally doable, but not easy, nor quick. For professional results, you have to learn professional standards. For my book trailer, my oldest son helped me, we used iTunes movie because that was all we had available. You have to start somewhere,...and as believers - we should believe the Lord can take the resources we do have and use them in extraordinary ways. 

 

Do do your best and let God do the rest! 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.