Query Letter Help

TDDracken

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, TDDracken said:

This is where he has called me to be and this is where I will blindly follow in the faith that he can see the path ahead even when I can't.

Amen!  I can't clap loud enough for you to hear, but I am!  ?

Thank you Alley!

And all I'm doing is writing.  I don't know where the idea came from that I'm staring a business.

I've written a children's picture book.  This topic was about writing the query letter for it.

Then I'm also eight chapters into writing a sci-fi novel.  (An older version of the first chapter can be found in the critique forum.)

While I'm not a game developer anymore I know how my current novel could easily be adapted into a successful video game title in the esport/tournament arena and would like to find an agent who would be able to help facilitate that happening.

Writing is not my intuitive profession.  I just do my best to learn and work through things as I go.

Guest Steven Hutson

I don't know where the idea came from that I'm staring a business.

That idea came from you.

From what I understand, you're working on a product that you want to sell to the public. That's business.

Or perhaps you expect to pitch this product to agents and publishers. Which means that you will sign contracts and make commitments to them. You're asking them to invest in your product which will in turn be offered for sale to the public. That's business.

If you license your product to a video game company, that will be another contract and a commitment to do certain things at certain times. Business.

Everyone that you pull into this vortex to bring your product to market (agent, publisher, printer, retailer, game developer) will be under the impression that you're running a business..

If a book looks good and has enough to go with it, like comprehensive lore, spreadsheets containing comprehensive details of everything in the book, and such.  They will pay money for the right to make a game, movie, or show out of it.  It is the responsibility of a good agent to see potential for things like that.  Many agent houses proudly proclaim how they have done that for their clients and brag on the properties that they have facilitated being made into movies or TV shows.  One in particular brags on their website how at least two have been made into children's shows and that they have a handful of movies under their belts.

The issue is just finding inroads into these multi-focus agent houses who look beyond the focus of only getting books published.

Guest Steven Hutson
2 minutes ago, TDDracken said:

It is the responsibility of a good agent to see potential for things like that. 

No agent can make that kind of promise up front. And not every book is a good candidate for that kind of licensing. The single most important factor in determining that kind of potential, is the book itself.

3 minutes ago, TDDracken said:

The issue is just finding inroads into these multi-focus agent houses who look beyond the focus of only getting books published

You should ask @DrRita or @Nicholas Reicher.  They are involved with things similar to this.  They might have a good idea where to find them.  

However, Steven is right.  No agent can promise this up front.  If you find one that does, I would be very cautious, and ask lots of questions here.  We'll help you check them out!  

4 minutes ago, Alley said:

However, Steven is right.  No agent can promise this up front.  If you find one that does, I would be very cautious, and ask lots of questions here.  We'll help you check them out!  

True.  I"m just aware of the potential in what originated as a plan for a video game to make it into a game or movie.  I'd like to find someone/someones who has demonstrated that they have a history of looking for that potential in books.

Guest Steven Hutson
1 minute ago, TDDracken said:

I'd like to find someone/someones who has demonstrated that they have a history of looking for that potential in books.

I might be wrong about this, but I think it's safe to say that every agent likes money. It's in his interest to exploit your work, every which way he can. He doesn't need to be reminded.

4 minutes ago, TDDracken said:

True.  I"m just aware of the potential in what originated as a plan for a video game to make it into a game or movie.  I'd like to find someone/someones who has demonstrated that they have a history of looking for that potential in books.

I love your idea!  I think it is a very good one.  I've kind of wondered why you did not want to make the game yourself?  When you get that far let me know.  I'm not a Syfy person, but I do know a few places to get eyes on your work.  At least the game part.  

Guest Steven Hutson
Just now, Nicholas Reicher said:

If they're a reputable agent, they don't need to brag. 

Precisely. And yet, I get calls and email every week, from writers who want me to prove myself before they will agree to sign with me.

We can certainly have a discussion, but I won't beg for anyone's business. I get about 500-600 submissions a month; so if your project is not a fit, another one will be.

2 hours ago, Alley said:

I love your idea!  I think it is a very good one.  I've kind of wondered why you did not want to make the game yourself?  When you get that far let me know.  I'm not a Syfy person, but I do know a few places to get eyes on your work.  At least the game part.  

When God directed me towards writing and away from the video game industry it came with the stipulation that I could come up with games as a hobby but not a career.  When I was pursuing games I was fulfilling the different full time jobs of a:

-Studio President (pursuing things like special deals on game hosting services and securing platforms for release. planning and pursuing any potential funding opportunities, pursue technology that would make the game easier to produce.  Handle contracts, screen and find applicants for open positions, file taxes, deal with finances)

-Project Manager (coordinating the varying schedules of people working on the games in their spare time and keeping them on task, manage company email permissions, manage file sharing and productivity services)

-Lead Game Designer (every facet of the game down to each vehicle, landscapes, DPS of weapons, speed, power ups, micro-transactions, and everything about the game)

-Concept Artist (All of the concept art for the entire project including 4 perspective drawings for most of the tanks and a lot of the weapons, landscape features, and this is just what I was able to get done.)

-Game Design Document Manager (It was a 70+ page document not including the spreadsheets that had to be updated continually to reflect any changes or improvements)

-Marketing (planning different publicity campaigns, story boarding videos to advertise the game, developing and maintaining the website, monitor game industry trends and ensure the game would still be competitive in an ever changing market)

-Level Designer (a variety of different levels and level features that could be used in a variety of game modes, special events, and competitions)

I was essentially doing everything but programming, music, modeling, sound effects, and animation.  It took an ENORMOUS amount of work.  Yet on top of that I wanted to write books on the side.  Pursue branching into a side industry for a secondary income for the studio.  And other endeavors.  This is beside the fact that I have a wife and daughter to give the attention and time they deserve.

Not too long ago the previous head of Blizzard Entertainment nearly had a breakdown from his workload and had to quit.  Eventually, I would have been in a similar situation and would have had to leave the things I love to do for a living because I would have been entirely burnt out.  Instead, God called me back to focus primarily on just one effort.  As an author I can develop stories that I want to share (which are numerous) and share the games I've developed if I can find someone who I can trust to facilitate it by finding studios that want to make them.

It's just not possible to handle actively making them myself, write, and still have any kind of home life.

It's just not possible to handle actively making them myself, write, and still have any kind of home life.

That's a very good reason!  It sounds like you have a high work ethic, and that is important in this industry.  Plus, I bet you have lots of marketing skills to share.  We may have to pick your brain.  ?

A little off topic.  If you ever want to earn a little side money, it sounds like you have the skills to help authors make book trailers.  Not saying it's something you want, or should do.  It's just a thought I had, to take as you will, with lots of prayers.  

Archived