Query Letter Help

TDDracken

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that God is guiding this process, but don't be surprised if your first two ... twenty efforts come back at you. That will give you the opportunity to see what they say and make changes accordingly. And don't be discouraged by the process. You know it's good. We know it's good. God has called you to do this. But not all agents/editors are tuned into the same channel.

Find what you hope to be the best fit and start sending. Then keep sending. You're looking for a needle in a haystack, and you have to sort through the straws one at a time.

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

The Christian Writer's Market Guide will have a section for children.

At the moment, the cost of the book is a more than the disposable income than I have at the moment so I'll continue going through the free listing you linked to.

My hope is to find a single agent or agent group that can handle both children's books, Young Adult Novels.  They would be a mixture of Christian and Non Christian books.  It would be nice if I found someone that also handled things like development of books into movies/televisions.  The ideal thing would be if I found someone who could also handle adaptation into video games.

Guest Steven Hutson
On 9/17/2018 at 2:46 PM, paulchernoch said:

The most important thing about query letters is that you follow the guidelines that the agent or publisher sets forth on their website.

Except that most don't. They expect you to know, which is not unreasonable.

Guest Steven Hutson

Someone mentioned that a query should be 1-2 pages.. I highly recommend you limit it to one. Most of the people you send this letter to, get hundreds of them per month. Don't make them work for it.

Comp titles don't belong here. It makes the whole letter too long.

DId someone mention target audience? 

Guest Steven Hutson

If the cost of a book is beyond your means, then now might not be a good time to build your publishing business. It will only get harder and more expensive from here.

Guest Steven Hutson
7 minutes ago, TDDracken said:

Publishing business?

Of course. The process you've been describing, is starting a business. Now would be a good time to count the cost as to whether you're prepared to go the distance. (Luke 14:25-33)

To buy a single book (currently $17 on Amazon) is surely the smallest expense you will encounter in that process. If you have other sources for this information, that's great! But for most writers, it takes many years to build up that kind of network.

3 hours ago, TDDracken said:

Publishing business?

Td, you're also a Christian.  The only real question that matters is, did God call you to do this?  If the answer is yes, then through prayer, you will know when He calls you to publish, and He will make way for you.  The point here is being in the will of God.  That my friend is a question that is between only you and God, and the only one that really matters.  

In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths  Proverbs 3:6

Guest Steven Hutson
21 minutes ago, Alley said:

That my friend is a question that is between only you and God, and the only one that really matters.  

The other relevant question, is whether TD conducts his business in a professional manner. He might be called by God, and yet defeat his own efforts. 

1 minute ago, Steven Hutson said:

The other relevant question, is whether TD conducts his business in a professional manner. He might be called by God, and yet defeat his own efforts. 

If he is being led by God, and submitting to God's will, God won't lead him astray.  

Guest Steven Hutson
Just now, Alley said:

If he is being led by God, and submitting to God's will, God won't lead him astray.  

I don't question God here. Not in the least.

But the burden is on him, to learn the craft and the business. 

8 hours ago, Steven Hutson said:

Of course. The process you've been describing, is starting a business. Now would be a good time to count the cost as to whether you're prepared to go the distance. (Luke 14:25-33)

I'm not starting a business.  I founded and ran a business.  I could, in terms of predicting market trends in my previous field, run circles around professional analysts, and pick apart game elements.  I could 'test' gameplay mechanics and balance them to precise amounts with nothing but my imagination.  I had a list of no less than 20 plot synopsis ready to go at a moments notice.  I had three or four game documents that were nearly completed that could be finished out quickly waiting in the wings.  I could take simple game concepts into full documents in a matter of days including research, micro transaction plans, marketing strategies, and more.

Had God blessed me in that field I would have risen to the top of the industry and I had 'my own' plans to expand the business into multiple fields and industries.

BUT God did not bless.  Something always came up to stall progress on game development...  Up to and including my programmer for the last project I worked on ending up in the hospital because of a severe car accident.  Whenever I thought I was making strides, something happened (typically to a member of the team).

That is what led me to consider changing to writing as a primary focus.  I was greatly qualified for where I was.  But He didn't call me to be where I was qualified.  He called me to be where I wasn't.  Just about a years time ago my writing resembled something of a child with poor grammar with broken lines of thought, awkward sentences, and plot threads that got forgotten.  I felt completely and utterly unqualified and was so shaken by the feeling of inadequacy that I was ready to quit and flee back to what was familiar, and for a time I did.

He has blessed my work and I know he will continue to do so.  I will not say who but one of the people in the forum that has read my current WIP novel and been giving feedback called me a "master storyteller".  If he was privy to my previous draft, or especially the handwritten first draft, he would have been more likely to laugh or shake his head in pity.

And God does lead the unqualified and provide for their inadequacies.  He has taken it upon Himself to teach and provide the way.  He is the giver or fortunes.  He is the ultimate author of creativity and all things good.  He grants his wisdom to whom he chooses and confounds the wisdom of the world.

This is where he has called me to be and this is where I will blindly follow in the faith that he can see the path ahead even when I can't.

Archived