Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

Predator Alert - Avoid Elm Hill Books

Katherine Coble wrote ":Elm Hill Books is a vanity press targeting Christian authors. Avoid avoid avoid. The anger I have at these men for doing this is...so much. They’re Christians taking advantage of the naïveté of other Christians. Expensive advantage."
http://davidgaughran.com/2018/08/24/elm-hill-books-harpercollins-vanity-press-pete-nikolai/

• Thanks 1

How is that is that in anyone budget?  $7,799 to publish with them, and another $9,499 to make your book available to their markets, making it $17,298 just to get your book to market.  Another $13,499 for a pre-launch campaign.  If those were the only things you paid for it comes to a grand total of $30,797.  o_O  My bank account feels strained just looking at those numbers.  

59 minutes ago, Alley said:

If those were the only things you paid for it comes to a grand total of $30,797.  o_O

But what a deal, right? Such a small price to pay to propel my masterpiece into best-seller territory. Just think of the millions to be made from book sales and movie rights! Well worth the second mortgage on my home. Where do I sign up? 

**End Sarcasm**

I looked, but there's no puking emoji. Too bad, so I dug this one up instead:  🐀

5 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

I looked, but there's no puking emoji

🤮   Found one.  Although, the mouse is nicer.  

Edited by Alley

21 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Rat, actually. 😏

xD  At least I did not call it an opossum.  

• Haha 1

Wise as serpents🐍, innocent as doves,🐔 (use your imagination) and well connected to christianwriters.com

12 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I'm writing them a check as we speak! Yes! I can't wait for my million seller!!!

That is, a million books in my cellar.

I don't have that kind of room in my house. I used to review books for Thomas Nelson Publishing. They merged with Zondervan and less than a month later they "merged" with Harper Collins. I only had one e-book from Westbow. It was a 'bonus' for me to review. It was not well done, I had to email them and let them know that I could not review that e-book. 

Guest Steven Hutson

If the authors are naive, it's not because Elm Hill (or anyone) made them so.

If you want to play at this level, educate yourself in advance. Then you don't filter out predators and get excited when something goes wrong. You just make informed choices according to what works for you.

And incidentally, ASI (parent of Author House and West Bow) has had at least two or three huge class action suits from thousands of unhappy customers. And they win every time. The judge asks to see the contract, and asks the plaintiffs whether the company did as the contract promised. And the answer was yes. 

High-pressure sales tactics (bothersome at best) are not a cause of action in any American court.

I am appalled...but not surprised. There are many reasons I won't get into it but David is as solid as they come and his article is fantastic. 

I remember ages ago when I was introduced to Westbow. I saw them coming at the horizon. I knew what they were about immediately. As Dionne Warwick suggested, I just walked on by.

It's simple really. The Bible is clear on these things:

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.  (Proverbs 14:15)

Or if you like a little more modern translation:

The simple believes everything, but the prudent gives thought to his steps. (Proverbs 14:15)

A writing friend went through Author House, here in Indiana, to get maybe two books published, This was several years ago.  Just this week, I saw where that publisher and another one were involved in a class action lawsuit.  I appreciate the scripture that Easton gave in his post. It gives us all something to ponder. We all need to be cautious.

Guest Steven Hutson
2 hours ago, quietspirit said:

I saw where that publisher and another one were involved in a class action lawsuit. 

Yup. ASI had at least two class action suits.
In both cases, the judge read the contract.
And she asked the plaintiffs whether the company fulfilled the terms of that contract.
And the plaintiffs had to concede that the company did as they promised.

I love Elm Hill. The professionalism and kindness is amazing! 

18 minutes ago, Enet said:

I love Elm Hill. The professionalism and kindness is amazing! 

Steve, is that you back under a new handle? 

Enet, glad you're a new member. I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :D

17 hours ago, Enet said:

love Elm Hill. The professionalism and kindness is amazing! 

I have a bridge to sell you in the San Francisco Bay Area. Slightly used, but is made out of pure gold. That's why we call it the Golden Gate Bridge. Cheap: only $30,000 , lol, then I can get my book published at Elm Hill 🙄

Having "updated" this thread, what do we know about Dorrance Publishing Company? They advertise on TV. I checked out their website, but there are no $ numbers mentioned. (No, I did not fill in my name and address.)

Dorrance is a VERY expensive vanity publisher and many say a scam.

Btw, Preditors & Editors is about to be resurrected. :D

• Like 1

It just didn't make sense to me that a reputable publisher would advertise on TV! That goes against everything I have read here (well, almost everything). There is, after all, S...