Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
TDDracken

The Double Space Is Dead? Why?! D:

LOL No, you didn't, Alley. :D

I've said this before but I'll add to what Clay said. Spellcheck once told me to change I am to I are! Yeah, you do have to babysit it! ;)

I don't remember what it was that told me, but my favorite so far, was when I was told to change, the enemy is attacking, too, the economy is attacking.  LOL  xD

11 hours ago, Katherine Johnston said:

There is no other convenience like a computer for speed and accuracy, but,...I confess I miss writing on a typewriter,...there is something very satisfying about the click of the keys, the tug of the return carriage, and of course the muffled 'ding' - at the end of every line!

I do miss the satisfying sound of the double-blam at the end of a sentence but I fly faster without it.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:28 AM, Katherine Johnston said:

Styles and find and replace are your best friend when formatting your manuscript!!!  One click and everything is beautifully formatted! Sigh,...I learned the ol' do-not-use-tabs-EVER the hard way,... 

There is no other convenience like a computer for speed and accuracy, but,...I confess I miss writing on a typewriter,...there is something very satisfying about the click of the keys, the tug of the return carriage, and of course the muffled 'ding' - at the end of every line! 😀

At least as far as the sound of the keys is concerned you can get a good gaming keyboard that gives you the typing sound you're after.  My wife got one, Fire Dancing 1st Palayer Gaming Keyboard (Yes, that is Chinglish.  Try searching for it without the misspelling first,  :P ) and it gives a good audible sound with each key press.  It also has various back lit colors you can apply.  I don't know what you could do about the muffled ding though.

And moving back to the topic.  Is there a guide on how to configure Word for writing in general (not geared toward any one medium in particular)?  Word 2007 is of the era where they threw the easy to navigate menu out for the stupid limited giant icons for "Common Features" and buried the rest in poorly organized menus that have no proper descriptions.  No matter what I try, I can't get Word to stop shifting paragraphs between pages instead of just letting the text flow from one to the next.

TD, I'm not sure this will answer your problem, but I found this...

Right-click on the paragraph at the top of the second page and select Paragraph. On the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog, make sure that "Page break before" is not checked. If it is not, probably "Keep with next" is. If so, then very likely that box is also checked for the paragraph the photo is in and the one following. If all three can't fit on the page with the heading, then they will jump to the next page.

• Like 1

I've fiddled with both of those and am no closer to figuring out how get it to the point that a publisher wouldn't just boot it back to me.

Formatting the children's book was so simple compared to this...  Which I should work on finishing up here some time...

2 hours ago, TDDracken said:

No matter what I try, I can't get Word to stop shifting paragraphs between pages instead of just letting the text flow from one to the next.

It's a widows and orphans thing. Go to Format on top, select Paragraphs, select Line and Page Breaks, uncheck Widow/Orphan control. Apply, Close, and you should be good to go.

If you're already in a document, Select All first (CTRL+A). then change the control.

• Like 1

The Orphan control worked!

I could have sworn I tried it before but all that matters is that the document is one step closer to being what a publisher would want!

Thank you very much for the suggestions everyone!

Now I just have to finish writing the book.

Tabs? LOL, I haven't used tabs since I gave up my typewriter about 25 years ago. Computer word processors give me better options.

Such as, I can insert an Excel spreadsheet and hide the gridlines. Much more precise and useful.

Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2018 at 4:59 PM, Accord64 said:

A double space at the end of a sentence was always standard practice, but became unnecessary with the newer word processors.

At least that's what I was told. Not sure if that was the real reason.

This is precisely why CMOS changed their rules. The reason for the double-space, ceased to exist.

Sadly, I still meet writers today who will go to their graves defending the old practice. They learned one way in high school, 40 years ago, and refuse to change. Every editor and agent faces this attitude. Please, this is NOT the hill you want to die on.

Edited by Steven Hutson

On 8/27/2018 at 3:28 AM, Katherine Johnston said:

there is something very satisfying about the click of the keys

Esp on the IBM Selectric, the best typewriter ever. If someone made a keyboard today with the same feel, I would pay any price to get it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steven Hutson said:

If someone made a keyboard today with the same feel, I would pay any price to get it.

Not sure if it's the same as an IBM Selectric, but you might want to look at this.

• Like 1

Mine's not bad. But the problem I have when I buy a new computer is that I can't stand all those keys on the right. I need my hands and the keys to be centered like the typewriter. I don't like, no, I can't stand for them to be off-center. I have a notebook pro right now and the keys click and they're centered. Yay! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Hutson said:

Esp on the IBM Selectric, the best typewriter ever.

That's the typewriter on which I learned how to type. (At the time, I want to say I was the only male in the class but this was pre-computers.) I've been touch-typing since 1977 or '78.

3 hours ago, Steven Hutson said:

Esp on the IBM Selectric, the best typewriter ever. If someone made a keyboard today with the same feel, I would pay any price to get it.

Try an AlphaSmart Neo portable word processor!  I killed mine just before NaNoWriMo but I'm definitely going to buy another.

They made these things to teach typing and they're practically bulletproof, but they are not being made anymore. They run for years on 3 AA batteries. But mine had some corrosion inside and I fried a sensitive circuit while trying to solder the ground wire back on.

You can upload text to a computer for editing and formatting.

• Like 1

Just don't ask me to give up my laptop. What I really don't miss about typewritten pages is getting to the very bottom of a document that should have no mistakes and ... of course, after nearly a full page of perfect typing ... No, I don't miss that at all!