Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

8 Lists Of Publishers

This is from an email from BookFox. John Fox is also an editor. I believe these are all traditional publishers. 

I'm giving you eight lists of publishers looking for the type of books you're writing.

What's more, most of these publishers don't require an agent (you can submit directly, right now).

If you've got a book ready to send out, this will jumpstart your submissions. And if you're finishing up a book, bookmark these pages.

30 Small and Indie Publishers. A great list of small, independent publishers of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.

30 YA Publishers. Most of these publishers accept non-agented submissions (which means you can start submitting today).

44 Publishers Looking for Short Story Collections. Everyone says publishers hate short story collections, but this list disproves the rumor.

30 Children's Book Publishers. All these children's books publishers accept submissions directly from authors.

40 Romance Publishers. If you've got lovestruck characters or a novel with sensual scenes, read this.

The Best Christian Publishers. Writers of faith, these publishers appreciate religion in fiction and nonfiction.

33 Publishers for Novellas. Have a piece of fiction too long for a short story and too short for a novel? Check this list out.

20 Independent Publishers who won Literary Awards. These are mostly scrappy publishers who manage to put out quality books that win awards.

Happy Submitting! And write on!

John Matthew Fox

• Thanks 1

Lynn,

Thanks for the extensive lists. Now I can spend all my time looking through them instead of writing. :)

Seriously, thank you for the great information.

Thanks Lynn! Now if you can find that great list of producers who are looking for fantastic unagented screenwriters . . .

Truly thanks, I have some stuff to submit and this list will help.  Been a long time since I tried traditional publishing.

Lynn I went to the link for "The best christian publishers",  scrolled down to Baker Books,  saw this link

https://christianmanuscriptsubmissions.com/

And wondered if anyone had ever tried this.  It seems similar to my songwritings...Pay to Play for Publisher concept.  You pay $94 dollars and for six months they upload a preview to your submission and respected publishers who don't accept unsolicited material go to look for stuff to publish??   

Most in the know turn their noses up at this. Agents and publishers have enough manuscripts piled up on their desks.  They don't have time to go out looking for manuscripts. Once in a great while, someone will get lucky. I wouldn't bother with it.

16 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Most in the know turn their noses up at this. Agents and publishers have enough manuscripts piled up on their desks.  They don't have time to go out looking for manuscripts. Once in a great while, someone will get lucky. I wouldn't bother with it.

Kind of what I figured.  

The best way to get attention is at writer's conferences for both agents and publishers.  It's a bit spendy but more that worth it. 

I clicked through Wipf and Stock.  They seem to do traditional publishing in a workable manner, but their fiction Imprint isn't taking unsolicited submissions.  

I know that Enclave started as Marcher Lord Press a very long time ago, and Steve Laube still has his hand in it.  

I went through the list of Children's Book Publishers, then Christian Book Publishers. I am looking for a Christian Children's book publisher for a picture book. I really need to pray about the decision to whom I will submit.

5 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

If you still have a bookstore near you, go check it out.

Strange you should say that. We really don't have any bookstore that I am aware of.  The closest place would be in the next county, twenty miles east of where we live.  I have learned to do online shopping. The closest thing to a bookstore would be the book section at Walmart.

Thank you for this list, Lynn! I checked it out and visited some of the publisher sites, and I'm curious about Faith Words. How does one submit a manuscript to them, as there is no submission link? It seems that the site only features established authors and their books (i.e. Joel Osteen, Bishop T.D. Jakes), but no info as to how aspiring authors can send in their work. Has anyone else noticed this?

You're welcome! I snooped around and found this:

Publishers in the Hachette Book Group (with the exception of Yen Press—see below) are not able to consider unsolicited manuscript submissions and unsolicited queries. Many major publishers have a similar policy. Unsolicited manuscripts, submissions, and queries will not be answered and the publisher will have the right to destroy any unsolicited material or mail without returning to the sender.

If you are interested in having a manuscript considered for publication, we recommend that you first enlist the services of an established literary agent. Many literary agencies can be located in Bowker’s Literary Market Place (commonly known as the “LMP”), an annual reference publication which can be found in most major libraries. These literary agencies, in turn, have guidelines for submitting manuscripts. You can find out more about the LMP at Literary Market Place.

Yen Press is interested in a broad spectrum of material and will happily review unsolicited graphic novel submissions. Please visit their website to learn more: YenPress.com

• Like 1

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for breaking it down. I actually submitted to lit agencies years ago, and I think I used the LMP. Maybe I'll try again. And I'll look into Yen Press. Thank you!