Let's Practice Writing Your Bio

lynnmosher

Still feeling inadequate at this, but here's a shot.  

Meet Alley who married her high school sweetheart, and is now a homeschooling Mama to a full nest.  This fun loving country girl, with a unique personality, is always ready with her quick wit and a good joke.  She enjoys homesteading and swimming in the creek.  Whether it is writing books or telling stories around the campfire Alley loves a story that leaves you on the edge of your seat and keeps you guessing what will happen next.  

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a brilliant career as a sales associate at the world's largest retail store, Clayton Rowe decided to abandon his hobby of toenail collecting and invent a new subgenre of science fiction.

When he is not cobbling together an electronic hodgepodge to access the internet, he can be found doing battle with indigenous suburban flora assaulting the Missouri home he shares with his familiars.

10 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

After a brilliant career as a sales associate at the world's largest retail store, Clayton Rowe decided to abandon his hobby of toenail collecting and invent a new subgenre of science fiction.

When he is not cobbling together an electronic hodgepodge to access the internet, he can be found doing battle with indigenous suburban flora assaulting the Missouri home he shares with his familiars.

Love it!  

4 minutes ago, Alley said:

Still filling inadequate at this, but here's a shot.  

Meet Alley who married her high school sweetheart, and is now a homeschooling Mama to a full nest.  This fun loving country girl, with a unique personality, is always ready with her quick wit and a good joke.  She enjoys homesteading and swimming at the creek in the summer.  Whether it is writing books or telling stories around the campfire Alley loves a story that leaves you on the edge of your seat and keeps you guessing what will happen next.  

See, Alley? You CAN do it! Pretty good there, girl! You need to use your full real name unless you're never going to use your name. But you would still need a last name. Just a couple of suggestions: you need a comma after Alley and remove the one after sweetheart. And Mama is usually spelled momma and it is not capitalized unless used as a name. Comma needs to be after campfire, When you get a little farther along, you will need to add an area where you live. Good job! :D

14 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

Ooo...that's a really good one, ECR! :D

Ok, here goes nothing.....

Stephen E Hatfield is a published writer who lives in Western North Carolina with his wife of forty-one years, Mary. With a heart for Pastors, he has written for Lifeway's Deacon Magazine as well as their Stand Firm men's daily devotional. He enjoys fly fishing, drawing, woodcarving and is also a published Christian songwriter. His latest book, Random Encouragement (Finding God in the Everyday) will have you looking at your world just a little differently.  

12 minutes ago, SEHatfield said:

Stephen E Hatfield is a published writer who lives in Western North Carolina with his wife of forty-one years, Mary. With a heart for Pastors, he has written for Lifeway's Deacon Magazine as well as their Stand Firm men's daily devotional. He enjoys fly fishing, drawing, woodcarving and is also a published Christian songwriter. His latest book, Random Encouragement (Finding God in the Everyday) will have you looking at your world just a little differently.

Nice.

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

full real name

I will never be using my real name.  First, for safety reasons.  Second, there is a list of famous people with my real name.  Including a Hollywood actress, two international supermodels, and I have spent years being teased that there are at least three adult entertainers with the same name.  So I will not be using it.  

You got it, Steve! That's great! I made a couple of small tweaks.

Stephen E Hatfield is a published writer who lives in western North Carolina with his wife of forty-one years. With a heart for pastors, he has written for Lifeway's Deacon Magazine as well as their Stand Firm men's daily devotional, (comma).and is also a published Christian songwriter. He enjoys fly fishing, drawing, and woodcarving. His latest book, Random Encouragement: Finding God in the Everyday, will have you looking at your world just a little differently.

4 minutes ago, Alley said:

I will never be using my real name.  First, for safety reasons.  Second, there is a list of famous people with my real name.  Including a Hollywood actress, two international supermodels, and I have spent years being teased that there are at least three adult entertainers with the same name.  So I will not be using it.  

If you use Alley, be sure you have a last name to go with it. ;)

2 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

If you use Alley, be sure you have a last name to go with it. ;)

Hey, I have one of those picked out.  o_O  What a strange coincident?  :D

Hmmmmm, not all that great but here it is.

Rita Betti was born in Santa Ana, California in 1948, into a California family that traces its roots back to the 1700's. She has been writing for over 50 years, but has only recently began to publish. After the death of her husband of 36 years, Rita moved to Los Angeles to study screenwriting at Act One, a private institution for writers and film executives. She went on to study film and media arts at Los Angeles Valley College. She has written and produced several short films with a diverse group of filmmakers. In 2011 she moved to Arizona, where she reconnected with her novelist side and published, "The Martyr" in 2014. She is currently CEO of FishGate Productions and seeking funding for  "COPPER TOWN", a full-length feature film to be shot in Arizona. Her diverse background has enriched her writing and understanding of character and story.

14 minutes ago, DrRita said:

Hmmmmm, not all that great but here it is.

Pretty good.  The only thing I noticed, was that you said you moved back to Arizona, but you only said you lived in California.  

Just now, Alley said:

Pretty good.  The only thing I noticed, was that you said you moved back to Arizona, but you only said you lived in California.  

oops!! Guess people are supposed to just know that I once lived there.  Great catch Alley, Thanks!!

6 minutes ago, DrRita said:

Guess people are supposed to just know that I once lived there

I know.  Why can't they just know what I want them to know, when I want them to know it?  ?

9 hours ago, DrRita said:

but has only recently began to publish

That's a great one, Rita! That would be great for films but you'd probably want to change it a little and shorten it if it were for a book. Tells a lot about you. Good job! Glad to know what I didn't know. :D

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

That's a great one, Rita! That would be great for films but you'd probably want to change it a little and shorten it if it were for a book. Tells a lot about you. Good job! Glad to know what I didn't know. :D

I really shouldn't say that because I did publish in magazines back in the 80s and 90s.  And you are right about the author bio vs film bio.  I have this one on my Amazon Author page but should revise it.  Thanks for your input.

On 7/2/2018 at 7:22 AM, Alley said:

I'm not trying to be contrary, but it would seem that you want to make yourself appealing to the market you are selling to.  Yours clearly leads into you writing Christian devotionals.  I'm writing romance.  I can't say as an official tomboy that I hold a market on things most women find romantic.  I'm more of a, roll up your sleeves we're get'in dirty, kind of girl.  I'm well acquainted with mud.  :D  Most romance readers are women.  I know so am I, but anything in my head that I think they'd like to know about I'd be making up.  I doubt that they care that I've been shingling houses sent I was ten, or that I like to hunt and fish.  In fact, the hunting and fishing part would likely cause me to lose some readers.  My interests don't really translate to romance readers.  ?

My dear friend, some of the stuff here is actually incredibly endearing. 

"Alley is a romance author who is well-acquainted with mud. A roll-up-your sleeves, we're-get'in-dirty kind of girl, she's not afraid to write heroines who like to hunt and fish and may or may not have been shingling houses since they were ten. Still, in every woman is the divine desire to be sought after and romanced, and this is where her tomboyishness crosses paths with her feminine heart: that sacred crux between the strength and bravery of women and a God Who invites us to come, come away with Him..." 

Something like that. Sorry. I had to jump in with a random bio, because I really enjoyed reading your non-bio.

Archived