Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lynnmosher

Let's Practice Writing Your Bio

Okay. Let's practice.

I've written for so many blogs, online magazines, etc., that I have several. Some sites require a very short bio written in the third person. Some like them a little longer and more personal and written in first person. If your bio will go on the back cover of your book or on your site, it may be written differently. Read mine and then do yours. I'm posting them separately. Might be easier to read. Here's from my about me page on my site: Something is wrong. I can't make a new paragraph. Now I can't paste. I'll try a new window.

Raised in Kentucky, Lynn Mosher became a believer at the tender age of eleven. Years later, after making many mistakes and experiencing the trials of life, she fully committed her life to the Lord.

At a time of physical upheaval in 2000, the Lord whispered His desire for Lynn take up her pen and write for Him. God sheltered His gift in her and cultivated it, turning her life towards her one, true ministry calling in her later years.

In obedience, Lynn crafts all types of inspirational works. With this new passion, Lynn embraced her mission to reach others through Christ-honoring literature, encouraging them in their walk and offering comfort through the written word.

Through the years, Lynn has learned this: In trusting Him, we find that each Jordan barrier can be converted to an open portal, every pit offers golden nuggets, and every valley of despair becomes a mountaintop of joy, when we trust in Him.

Married since 1966, Lynn is a wife, mother of three, sister, grandmother, and writer seeking to follow God’s will.

“Now, go, write it before them on a tablet and inscribe it in a book,

that it may be as a witness for the time to come forevermore.”

*This is written this way because I write devotionals. They say it's good to change it occasionally. I might do that soon. Oh, and I use that last line (not the quote) as a blurb about me on social media

Alley is a wife and a mother.  That's all Alley can think of to say.  ☹️

Aww, come one! Add a couple of your interests. People want to know the person. I'll post another one. Maybe it will ignite a spark. ;) Pretend like you're introducing yourself to a women's group you've just joined on Facebook.

I don't remember where I used this one. It's pretty old. And all use pretty much the same facts, just rearranged.

At a time of physical upheaval in 2000, Lynn Mosher felt led of the Lord to take up her pen and write. With this new passion, she has embraced her mission to reach others through Christ-honoring literature, encouraging them in their walk and offering comfort through the written word. Lynn lives with her hubby (since 1966) in their Kentucky nest, emptied of three chicklets, and expanded by two giggly grand-chicklets, and an inherited dog. You can find out more about Lynn by visiting her website, Heading Home. http://lynnmosher.com

I'm not trying to be contrary, but it would seem that you want to make yourself appealing to the market you are selling to.  Yours clearly leads into you writing Christian devotionals.  I'm writing romance.  I can't say as an official tomboy that I hold a market on things most women find romantic.  I'm more of a, roll up your sleeves we're get'in dirty, kind of girl.  I'm well acquainted with mud.  :D  Most romance readers are women.  I know so am I, but anything in my head that I think they'd like to know about I'd be making up.  I doubt that they care that I've been shingling houses sent I was ten, or that I like to hunt and fish.  In fact, the hunting and fishing part would likely cause me to lose some readers.  My interests don't really translate to romance readers.  ?

I don't know if this is what you're looking for.  It's a copy of the bio I wrote when I first began writing on the internet, back in 2006,  That's when I posted this on the website fanfiction.net.

Please let me know if you'd like me to add an update.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Writer's Profile

I am posting this on December 18, 2006.

I am 61 years old. I live in Huntington Station, New York, which is on Long Island. I am unmarried and content to be that way. If a woman should come into my life, that would be fine, but if nobody ever does, that will be even better.

I am a committed, born again Christian. I attend the First Presbyterian Church of Greenlawn, New York, which is also on Long Island. We have a Spirit filled Congregation. I operate the sound system during Sunday Morning Worship Services. During Adult Bible Studies, I am the guy who keeps the Pastor on his toes, but in a friendly, respectful way.

I graduated from Harborfields High School in Greenlawn, New York, in 1963. My formal education ended there, but I have a curiosity about everything, that has never ended, and I have never stopped learning. My mind is an infinite reservoir of useless knowledge, which I have never been able to share, until I started writing on the Internet.

I have been writing for nearly 40 years. Before the advent of the word processor and the Internet, I used typewriters, and sent my stories to publishers through the mail. In all that time, I sold only 1 short story, for which I was paid $5.20. I did not frame the check. I invested the payment, in a breakfast at I-Hop; from which received a satisfying return.

So the only advice I'd give to any aspiring writer is this. No matter how good your writing is, don't quit your day job.

On the other hand, writing has always been my means of escaping the daily frustration. It has not however, been my only means of escape.

From 1969 until 1987, I spent my vacations as a world traveler. As a tourist, I visited Puerto Rico and most often Mexico. I also once visited Portugal and Spain. I was in Guadalajara, Mexico in February 1979, when the newly elected Pope John Paul II was visiting. I was also in Guatemala, in 1976 when the Country was struck with a massive earthquake.

I've also been to Panama, the Dominican Republic and Caracas, Venezuela, which was the only place I disliked. The City was obliterating itself, with urban renewal. In this Country, I've visited Washington D.C., Miami, Florida, Disneyworld, and Scranton, Pennsylvania. That's where my father came from, and where some of my relatives live.

I am now disabled. I was injured in a traffic accident in 1994, and have been unable to work, since then. I now live on monthly disability payments and food stamp credits. However, I am not an invalid. I can get around on my own, and can take care of myself. It's just that my physical movements are restricted, so that I can not do a full day's work.

However, the Lord has blessed me. I no longer have to take jobs I do not want, or do work I do not like. I'm now writing just for recreation, and to keep my mind alert. I have never felt more blessed than I am now, especially since people are finally reading what I've written, and appreciating my efforts.

As for my reading, first there is the Bible. As a committed, born again Christian, I read it for guidance.

I started reading books seriously when I was in the 7th Grade. “ Treasure Island” was my first favorite book. As I grew older, so did my tastes. In High School I read “The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde”, which is very different from the movies. I read “Mutiny on the Bounty”, and two Dickens novels, “Oliver Twist” and “A Tale of Two Cities.” I also liked the Revolutionary War Novel, “Arundel”, by Kenneth Roberts.

During High School, I had so much studying, that I was unable to take the time to read as much as I wanted. Once my education was completed, I was finally able to read much of what was recommended. I read Shakespeare’s plays, and much that was good.

Unfortunately, I’ve also read a lot of mediocre writing, but that’s part of learning the craft.

As for my TV favorites, I've been watching for more than 50 years; and I've had many.

From the beginning, and I mean the very beginning, it started with Howdy Doodie and the Mickey Mouse Club. There was also Roy Rodgers, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, and the Lone Ranger.

There were the Comedy Shows: Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Jackie Gleason, Sid Caesar, Red Skelton, and Milton Berle (I didn't care for him.) Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, Steve Allen, and "The one, the only, Groucho Marx". There were also old Laurel and Hardy Movies, along with Abbot and Costello. I know that with all the names that I've just given, I'm showing my age, but I am a natural comedian, and when I write comedy, I learned from watching the best.

Then there were the Sit-coms like I Love Lucy, Father Knows Best, The Donna Reed Show, and Leave it to Beaver, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

I also liked Crime Shows like Dragnet, The Untouchables, and 77 Sunset Strip.

As time went by TV changed. We had All in the Family, M.A.S.H., Happy Days, Barney Miller, One Day at Time, Columbo, Married With Children, and many more too numerous to mention.

As for contemporary TV, I have basic cable, which offers 75 channels, with nothing I want to watch, on any of them. The History Channel is good, but like History itself, the Channel tends to repeat itself. I usually have my evening meal while watching the News. I often have dinner with Wolf Blitzer. (I’ve got to get a life!) The only Show I really would miss if it went off the air is Veronica Mars.

Out of those more than 50 years of TV viewing, my favorite show of all time was Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

That's a very brief profile. I don't want to write more. I feel very uncomfortable, telling people anything personal about myself. I'd prefer that you read my stories in the following anthology.

Here they are Ladies and Gentlemen:

So read them and enjoy; and if you do enjoy them, please let me know

Well, William, this is way more than is necessary. Sites usually want short, around 200-250 words. Also, it needs to be even shorter for the back cover of a book. Think of it in professional terms. High school, church, and TV show preferences are not included. Think of it, too, as what you might put on your business card. ;)

8 hours ago, Alley said:

I'm not trying to be contrary, but it would seem that you want to make yourself appealing to the market you are selling to.  Yours clearly leads into you writing Christian devotionals.  I'm writing romance.  I can't say as an official tomboy that I hold a market on things most women find romantic.  I'm more of a, roll up your sleeves we're get'in dirty, kind of girl.  I'm well acquainted with mud.  :D  Most romance readers are women.  I know so am I, but anything in my head that I think they'd like to know about I'd be making up.  I doubt that they care that I've been shingling houses sent I was ten, or that I like to hunt and fish.  In fact, the hunting and fishing part would likely cause me to lose some readers.  My interests don't really translate to romance readers.  ?

Oops! I missed your comment. Forgive me, Alley. I thought I had added that each would be different depending on genre. And as I mentioned to William, think of it in terms of a business card blurb. ;)

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

Well, William, this is way more than is necessary. Sites usually want short, around 200-250 words. Also, it needs to be even shorter for the back cover of a book. Think of it in professional terms. High school, church, and TV show preferences are not included. Think of it, too, as what you might put on your business card. ;)

Thank you.  Like I said, I really wasn't sure what you're looking for.  I apologize for taking up so much space.  Would you want me to delete it?

I really have no idea what I'd be expected to put into those 200-250 words.  Would a list of my self published works be enough?

I thought that the back cover was where the story's summary would be found.

I also have no business card, can't afford to have any printed, and have no idea what to have printed on one, if I did.

When it comes to publishing and marketing, I have only a vague understanding of what I'd be involved with.  I truly need to be led by the hand.

Thank you again.   

Oh, my, no William. I don't need to remove it. This was the point of doing this...to help each other figure out how to do this. It goes along with learning to write a blurb, a synopsis, back cover matter., and whatever else is necessary for a writer to learn.  And a business card is part of it, though very little goes on a business card. I meant that merely as an expression of shortness. Sorry for the confusion. Have you read the other thread where I gave a link to an article? Here's the link if you haven't read it. It should help you. :D

I've read the link.  I'm still not sure if I'd be able to satisfy any agent, publisher, critic or anyone else involved in the publishing industry.  I'm also not sure about what the difference is between a blurb, a synopsis, or what's written on a back cover.

Would the following be acceptable?  It's the summary I use, describing my novella "Sangreville", on the various writers websites, where it's posted.

"A high school girl reluctantly moves with her desperate mother to a "Vampire Town", where the living and undead have agreed to a truce.  Once she's enrolled in the local high school, she's told that she '...can get away with anything you want.'

"The 'New Girl' tries to fit in.

"This is a "Coming of Age" story, concerning a "Naughty" high school girl, who's doing things which she know that she shouldn't.  By the end she has become a responsible young woman, dealing with responsibilities she doesn't want, but cannot avoid."

Would that be acceptable as a blurb, or a synopsis, or whatever it's called?

I haven't included anything about myself.  I personally think that readers of fiction would be much more interested in the story itself, than in whoever wrote it.   

I also think that as a Christian, I should pray about this, and ask the Lord to be my agent, and have Him be the One who draws people to read the writings of mine, which have His approval, 

I ask for His mercy in this.  In Jesus Name.  Amen.

Thank you. 

5 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

I thought I had added that each would be different depending on genre.

What I meant was I'm not sure what to talk about for my genre.  Any ideas?  

*You could leave off the first paragraph and it would still be good. Just add the last name.

Courtney Milan is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of historical romance. Her books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, a medium-sized dog, and an attack cat. Before she started writing historical romance, she experimented with various occupations: computer programming, dog-training, scientificating… But her favorite job is the one she’s now doing full time — writing romance.

If you want to know when Courtney’s next book will come out, please visit her website at http://www.courtneymilan.com, where you can sign up to receive an email when she has her next release.

*A little inspiration here. However, depending on where this is listed, it needs to be broken into a couple of paragraphs.

Laurelin Paige is the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling Author of the Fixed Trilogy. She’s a sucker for a good romance and gets giddy anytime there’s kissing, much to the embarrassment of her three daughters. Her husband doesn’t seem to complain, however. When she isn’t reading or writing sexy stories, she’s probably singing, watching Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead, or dreaming of Michael Fassbender. She’s also a proud member of Mensa International though she doesn’t do anything with the organization except use it as material for her bio. You can connect with Laurelin on Facebook at facebook.com/LaurelinPaige or on twitter @laurelinpaige. You can also visit her website, laurelinpaige.com, to sign up for emails about new releases and a chance to win a $100 Amazon Gift Certificate in a monthly drawing.

*This one is a nice short one with where to connect plus website.

Michael Siemsen is the USA Today Bestselling author of 6 novels, including The Dig, A Warm Place to Call Home (a demon’s story), and Exigency. He lives in Northern California with “the wife,” “the kids,” “the dog,” “that cat,” and he occasionally wears pants. His latest release, RETURN, is the third book in his #1 bestselling Matt Turner series.

facebook.com/mcsiemsen
michaelsiemsen.com
twitter: @michaelsiemsen

*I love this one

New York Times bestselling author Angie Fox writes sweet, fun, action-packed mysteries. Her characters are clever and fearless, but in real life, Angie is afraid of basements, bees, and going up stairs when it is dark behind her. Let’s face it. Angie wouldn’t last five minutes in one of her books.

Angie is best known for her Southern Ghost Hunter mysteries and for her Accidental Demon Slayer books. Visit her at www.angiefox.com.

From my self- published devotional book,

Cecelia Lester has lived the majority of her life in central Indiana. As a young adult and again later, she wrote devotions which she gave at the women’s groups (missionary societies) in two of the churches to which she belonged.

During an emotionally difficult time in her life, she started writing down thoughts about her feelings. However, she ventured into other areas of interest. In the waning years of the 20th century, she sought God’s guidance for her life and returned to the craft of writing.

When she is not writing or serving the Lord in other ways, she spends time reading or watching old movies, especially those of the Film Noir genre. She and her husband also love to travel.

She is married. She and her husband have one adult son. (Added information. this November we will be  married 50 years.)

How's this for a bio?

I, William D'Andrea am a writer of fiction.  That includes original fiction, fan fiction and occasional non-fiction articles.  When it comes to writing fiction, I see myself as an entertainer and my stories as my performances.  When it comes to being an entertainer, I am a natural comedian, and when I'm writing fiction, this joker is wild.

So here it (Book title) is Ladies and Gentlemen.  Whenever you're ready to start reading, the performance is about to begin.

"Another opening, another show!

In Philly, Boston or Baltimore!

I don't know how these lyrics go!

Another opening, another show!

(Apologies to Cole Porter) 

Would this be a good bio?

You could use this possibly as an announcement for a book. But you would need to work on it a little and write it in third person, depending on where you use it. If this would be a bio for a book back cover or on your site, you need to write it in third person and change it somewhat. A good way to practice is to think of someone you know or even a favorite writer and write it about them. That's how you write it in third person. You have to be detached from it.

Also, if you would want to remove the lyrics.

15 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

...write it in third person. You have to be detached from it.

Thank you.  That's all I need to know.

All I have to do is replace the word "I" with "He"? 

Is it really that simple?

And there's no problem for me deleting the lyrics, which "I, the natural comedian" was just having a little fun.  I don't know if I'd have any trouble with the estate of Cole Porter; but I'd prefer not to have any reason to worry about that.

Thank you again.

LOL I did like the lyrics but they don't work. And as I said, it does need a little work. Let's see what you come up with. ;)

3 hours ago, quietspirit said:

From my self- published devotional book,

Cecelia Lester has lived the majority of her life in central Indiana. As a young adult and again later, she wrote devotions which she gave at the women’s groups (missionary societies) in two of the churches to which she belonged.

During an emotionally difficult time in her life, she started writing down thoughts about her feelings. However, she ventured into other areas of interest. In the waning years of the 20th century, she sought God’s guidance for her life and returned to the craft of writing.

When she is not writing or serving the Lord in other ways, she spends time reading or watching old movies, especially those of the Film Noir genre. She and her husband also love to travel.

She is married. She and her husband have one adult son. (Added information. this November we will be  married 50 years.)

I'm sorry, QS. I missed your comment. Depending on where you use this, you could probably get rid of the film noir paragraph. But this is good. Nice job, QS! :D

Here's another one of mine: Like I said, how you write it depends on what entity it will be posted on.

Lynn Mosher lives with her hubby (since 1966) in their Kentucky nest, emptied now of three chicklets and embracing two giggly grand-chicklets. Lynn is the keeper of a secret recipe for barbecue sauce, which she may share if you bribe her with enough chocolate. She also hunts for God’s treasures on the road Home, though she does get muddy sometimes.

After being diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2000, the Lord whispered to her heart to write for Him. Now, her greatest passion is to fulfill God’s call on her life to encourage others and glorify the Lord with her devotionals and inspirational stories. She writes for several sites and bi-weekly on her site, Heading Home. http://lynnmosher.com

This is a longer one.

Lynn Mosher’s deepest passion is to share her devotionals and inspirational stories, fulfilling God’s call on her life, to encourage others and glorify the Lord.

She was a contributor to the books: Entering the God of Wholeness, Ya Know What I’m Say’n, and Overwhelmed: 31 Stories from M.O.M.; sites and magazines: Secret Place, Comfort Café, Internet Café, Novel Rocket, High Calling, CrossReads, AuthorCulture.

Lynn is a monthly columnist for: TheMOMInitiative.com, LivingBetterat50+, Ruby Magazine, Daily Signs of Hope, and Lift Up Your Day for Women. She is also a contributor to The Consilium and Grace&Faith4U and has guested for numerous other publications and sites.

Lynn’s first book is in the works to be published and she is working on her second book.

She also writes twice weekly on her site, Heading Home. http://lynnmosher.com

56 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

it does need a little work. Let's see what you come up with. ;)

How little is "a little"?

How about this:

xxxxxxxxxx

William D'Andrea is a writer of fiction.  That includes original fiction, fan fiction and occasional non-fiction articles.  When it comes to writing fiction, he sees himself as an entertainer and his stories as his performances.  When it comes to being an entertainer, he is a natural comedian, and when he's writing fiction, the joker is wild.

So here it (Book title) is Ladies and Gentlemen.  Whenever you're ready to start reading, the performance is about to begin.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Is this "a little" enough, or did you mean something else?                                            

That is pretty good, William. I think a tiny bit about you would add to it. Although, I wouldn't use the last paragraph.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.