Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebecca

New Forum Look & Software

So you may have noticed, we have a new forum look and software. To be honest, I wasn't ready to release it quite yet -- still needs a bit of polish -- but some technical issues forced me to launch early.

I'll be plenty busy over the next few days bringing things up to snuff, implementing features, and putting some much-needed polish on things. So please stay tuned as we sort it all out.

All that said, I need to hear from you! What do you like, what do you want to see improved, and how can we make the site easier to use? Please post your feedback and suggestions here. :)

It's still too new to make specific suggestions, but it has a sleeker look. It also looks like all the reply functionality is there, but I'm going to have to get used to the new smileys. ;)

Great work! (but missing the "thumbs-up" smiley).

PS: I do miss the old "New Posts" button. I can't seem to find it here.

Very appealing to the eye. Thank you for all your hard work!! For a moment, I thought my slapstick comment on the "Your are banned" discussion caught up with me! :)

Maybe it's my setting, but the windows for typing my password and this reply are too bright. Would be great if they were just a shade darker.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

It's still too new to make specific suggestions, but it has a sleeker look. It also looks like all the reply functionality is there, but I'm going to have to get used to the new smileys. ;)

Yeah, I may change them up a bit. I haven't decided yet.

PS: I do miss the old "New Posts" button. I can't seem to find it here.

It's in the "Forums" drop-down menu in the navigation bar. I think it's the last item in the menu.

Maybe it's my setting, but the windows for typing my password and this reply are too bright. Would be great if they were just a shade darker.

Will take that into consideration. There's definitely a whole lot more white space than we're used to. Adding some contrast here and there is on my list.

Love the new look! Its very proffestional looking.

I'm still pretty new to this sight and haven't had much of a chance to really use it, sadly (Due to internet problems, I've only been using your sight at places with public wi-fi, which is sad cause I really like it...) :(

But I was wondering what the "Showcase" tab was for. I tried checking it out for myself and couldn't really figure out it's purpose.

Alright, gotta go... I'll be back ASAP (hopefully in a day or two)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :) I'll see what I can do to make the "new posts" option more prominent.

When I comment on a thread, it disappears from the new posts list.

This is because the "new posts" list is tailored just to you. Since you just commented on the post, it's no longer new to you, and so it drops on the list. Once someone else comments, you should see it again. Other members who haven't commented will still see it in their new posts.

But I was wondering what the "Showcase" tab was for. I tried checking it out for myself and couldn't really figure out it's purpose.

Yes, it's a bit ambiguous as-is. I just posted a story there to help encourage other submissions.

Basically, the showcase is a spot where writers can post their stories, articles, devotionals, poetry, and/or other written material that they'd like to share with others. It's not for advertising or book promos, although I may consider a section for those once things have calmed down here a bit.

Hope this helps! :)

Question on the comment/thread disappearing: suppose I wanted to edit or add another comment. How could I find the thread?

I noticed on the Home page, in the "Members Online" box at the side, it counts members, guests, and robots.... Robots?? There were seven total at the time I looked. I'm thinking that's not a good thing.

Robots are an excellent thing -- we want to see them online! :) Basically, bots are search engines indexing our site. The more the index, the more links we have, the more ability for folks to find us.

I expect we'll see a lot of bots for at least the next week as they re-index our site.

In the navbar, click the the "FORUMS" link. That will take you to the forum list.

I'm also planning to replace the "Recent Topics" with a list and description of forums (just like we had on the previous site version). So hopefully that will be helpful.

As for starting a new thread, just click the green "Post New Thread" button in the forum where you'd like to start the thread. It's to the right of the breadcrumb (directly below the navbar).

Hope this helps! :)

Hmmm...there is no list of writers' forum, workshop, open forum, etc., listed under Forums. I must not be seeing what you are seeing.

Those are not listed in the drop down menu. Which I would think you would want to see. I have to click on Forums to get to the forums. Is there a way to list them in the drop down menu? It's rather confusing.

I can't get rid of this comment to start over.

Also, I'm not getting emails of comments or threads. I had everything set to receive all emails. I guess I need to reset everything???

Guess whoooooo? I found that my avatar is not showing up on all the threads I've commented on. I hate to be a pest but I know you want to know what we all find. :rolleyes:

very lovely, Rebecca.

I miss the days when the thread that you had ever commented on turned a different color. But whatever you do with this version--we'll just figure it out and get used to it. So my vote is to make it easiest for you. We're so grateful for doing this so we can all connect.

@Carol Peterson - Glad you like it, and thanks for your feedback and support! :D

@lynnmosher:

I

Also, I'm not getting emails of comments or threads. I had everything set to receive all emails. I guess I need to reset everything???

The new system sends out one email per thread, until you visit back. So you'll receive an email when someone replies to a topic you've subscribed to -- but you won't receive new emails for each reply (unless that reply happened after your last visit to the thread).

Me again! Where are the moderator buttons for moving posts, etc.?

In the thread list for each forum, there's a small check box to the left of the topic titl

Uh..hmmm! Sor-ry! Me again! Where is the calendar?

Doesn't exist yet. It's on my to-do list.

Ummm...where's search? :confused:

There's a blue search button (looks like a magnifying glass) directly to the right of the top breadcrumb on every page (except the home page).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.