Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Easton_Livingston

Calling Independent Self-published Authors

On 6/4/2018 at 3:02 PM, Alley said:

Silly question, don't you use your platform to help grow your mailing list?  Not that it is the only way, just that it is helpful, or have I misunderstand?  

A mailing list is a part of your author platform (and I would argue the most important part) but by definition, they are two separate entities. See this for a good definition:

What Is An Author Platform?

Speaking of mailing lists: you remember how I said you should build a mailing list? Interesting research on whether it really matters:

Does Email Still Matter?

God bless.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Easton_Livingston said:

. See this for a good definition:

Wow, EL.  Thanks.  This is very informative and answered more than a few questions for me.  

1 hour ago, Easton_Livingston said:

Speaking of mailing lists: you remember how I said you should build a mailing list? Interesting research on whether it really matters:

Does Email Still Matter?

Looks familiar. I posted the same thing in a thread by itself. LOL :D

• Like 1

New here,  had a couple of articles/devotions published by Lifeway, but I'm pursuing self-publishing of a collection of devotions (thanks Lynn) in an illustrated book form.  

Looking at different writing/editing software choices as well as POD publishing options.  

Thanks for for the dedicated thread.

steve

On 6/16/2018 at 5:35 PM, SEHatfield said:

New here,  had a couple of articles/devotions published by Lifeway, but I'm pursuing self-publishing of a collection of devotions (thanks Lynn) in an illustrated book form.  

Looking at different writing/editing software choices as well as POD publishing options.  

Thanks for for the dedicated thread.

steve

Good to have you on board Steve.

Here are my  suggestions for you from what you've listed if I understand it correctly:

1. Writing Software - Scrivener . This is software specifically made for writers.

2. Editing Software - Pro Writing Aid. Mad affordable and good algorithm for the most part.

3. POD - This depends. You'll have to outline what you're looking to do here specifically and primarily. POD should be secondary, however. Ebooks should be primary. 

God bless.

8 minutes ago, Easton_Livingston said:

Good to have you on board Steve.

Here are my  suggestions for you from what you've listed if I understand it correctly:

1. Writing Software - Scrivener . This is software specifically made for writers.

2. Editing Software - Pro Writing Aid. Mad affordable and good algorithm for the most part.

3. POD - This depends. You'll have to outline what you're looking to do here specifically and primarily. POD should be secondary, however. Ebooks should be primary. 

God bless.

Thanks Easton, 

I'm going to have to try Scrivener,  will the free version give me a feeling of how it works? 

I'm trying ProWritingAid and like it so far. 

My primary goal is to speak encouragement in conference settings and churches, along with another ministry I'm working on, so I want an ebook,  but also the ability to offer print copies as well.  

Thanks

Steve 

13 minutes ago, SEHatfield said:

Thanks Easton, 

I'm going to have to try Scrivener,  will the free version give me a feeling of how it works? 

I'm trying ProWritingAid and like it so far. 

My primary goal is to speak encouragement in conference settings and churches, along with another ministry I'm working on, so I want an ebook,  but also the ability to offer print copies as well.  

Thanks

Steve 

You can try Scrivener for free for 30 days. No restrictions so I'd make sure I have a writing project to do and then do it all in Scrivener to get a feel for the program. Watch some tutorials and YouTube videos to maximize your use of it during your trial.

I have ProWriting Aid. Love it. 

So, you're looking at a platform more of your books supporting your speaking. Are you using a Mac or Windows?

18 minutes ago, Easton_Livingston said:

You can try Scrivener for free for 30 days. No restrictions so I'd make sure I have a writing project to do and then do it all in Scrivener to get a feel for the program. Watch some tutorials and YouTube videos to maximize your use of it during your trial.

I have ProWriting Aid. Love it. 

So, you're looking at a platform more of your books supporting your speaking. Are you using a Mac or Windows?

I have both,  haven't decided which I'll end up with.  Up till now, used MacBook laptop with powerpoint for presentations. 

Edited by SEHatfield

Indie author here,..my first book,...an inspiration young adult novel will be launching next week in paperback and ebook format.

It's been a journey to learn industry standards for publishing, and all the legal mumbo-jumbo, but most necessary. I am thankful for the indie-author community who so generously offers insight and direction,...and I am hoping to pay the kindness forward. We're all in this together! 😀

5 minutes ago, Katherine Johnston said:

IndieI author here,..my first book,...an inspiration young adult novel will be launching next week in paperback and ebook format.

Hope it does well! :D

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 11:32 AM, Katherine Johnston said:

Indie author here,..my first book,...an inspiration young adult novel will be launching next week in paperback and ebook format.

It's been a journey to learn industry standards for publishing, and all the legal mumbo-jumbo, but most necessary. I am thankful for the indie-author community who so generously offers insight and direction,...and I am hoping to pay the kindness forward. We're all in this together! 😀

Welcome aboard Katherine. If you need any help or have questions, give a holler on this thread. Someone will get back to you.

God bless.

• Like 1

Easton,

Thank you for your very generous sharing of your knowledge and experience with respect to publishing and attracting customers. I have one self-published book, one in final review for publishing and one partially done. They are all a part of a series of six. I had read on kboards some time ago that most readers don't take a series seriously until there are at least three of them published. My intent was to start the author platform/marketing/email list/blogging as I send the third story to the editor. I probably should start sooner, but time is a scarce resource for me, so any time I spend on the marketing, etc. is less time I spend writing.

In any case, your "almost a blueprint" for how to work a mailing list is golden. Thanks again.

Oh, no problem. It takes a while to get used to the site. And our punishments are very light. Thirty whacks with a wet noodle. LOL :rolleyes: You are welcome to share it in the link I gave you. Oh, I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :D

On 5/8/2018 at 11:55 AM, Easton_Livingston said:

So just go ahead and just chime in if you are an independent self-published author

Late to the party (as usual). I'm a long-dormant member, so those who remember me may want to duck and run for cover. 😉

I've been independent since my first book in 2012. I have five published books (fiction) with more on the way... just as soon as I shake a rather nasty case of writer's block. 😩

I agree that writing is easy. However, I've learned that doing it right is hard.

My first novel was a disaster. The story was good, but I simply published it too soon. It needed much more editing and polish. While it's great that we can easily push out new versions to a retailer, I would highly recommend getting it right the first time. Or at least have new versions correct small issues.   

My biggest advice to those who want to self-publish: Before you hit the publish button, take your very best version and make it even better. You can't treat this like a hobby. You're up against traditionally published pros, and many excellent indies, so your work (writing, formatting, cover, and blurb) had better measure up. Otherwise don't bother, because the marketplace is already awash with half-baked (and worse) efforts.

Okay, that was rather harsh. But so is the marketplace. Readers have little patience paying for sub-par work. I'm not talking about not liking your story. That will happen. It's the bad grammar, misspelled words, incorrect punctuation, kludgy formatting, huge plot issues, and other sloppiness that will drive a reader crazy.

No book is perfect. If you look hard enough, you'll find a mistake somewhere. But most readers can tell within the first chapter that an author is bringing a professional effort. Let their criticism be about the story, not the sloppiness.   

Edited by Accord64

4 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Okay, that was rather harsh.

Harsh, but true.  I'd rather have the truth.  Thanks for sharing with us newbies.  :)

15 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Hey, Accord! Nice to see you back! :D

Thanks. Nice new format you have here. How does one get "warning points?"  😇

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lynnmosher said:

Don't be a bad boy! LOL ;):D

I can't run amok.  o_O  Noooooo!  :rolleyes:

OK... I've been trying to make my way through all the pages of this thread but will go back again - a lot of info! And thank you! What a nice community this is. And... Christian! I spent quite a bit of time on Writer's Beat and Quora, and both are good in their own way but this is like joining a team going the same direction (up!).  I wonder (and it is most likely answered elsewhere), when is ready, ready enough to publish. With a traditional publisher they determine that... I've read many an e-book that needed more work.  So self publishing makes for a vulnerability of not being ready for prime time but thinking you are.