Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Swimkick

Input Requested

Several of you self-publish, so maybe you can help me out. The Predators and Editors website is no longer available. I would like to know where I can check out self-publishing companies' ratings and any concerns. I am looking into this avenue to publish when I believe it needs to be published, but publishers and agents say the market may not support the topic. Tight deadlines are difficult for me, too. Suggestions or input would be helpful. Thank you!

Yeah, I miss the old one. Relied on it a lot. This is the only one I know of. Glad it will be useful. :D

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Swimkick said:

I would like to know where I can check out self-publishing companies' ratings and any concerns.

From another angle, why would you need a company to self-publish?  All the tools and support are there to accomplish this without using a self-publishing company.  They add nothing to the equation.

There a cover creators on this site who do wonderful work.  Joanna Alonzo does marvelous work as do many others on the site.  

What part of the self-publishing process would you need help with?

• Thanks 1

Just saw this. Thanks for the mention, @suspensewriter!

@Swimkick I'm not sure you're getting the gist of what self-publishing is. Either that or I'm not entirely sure what a self-publishing company is. I don't know if you still need this info, but here's my understanding of the publishing industry as it is now...

There are three ways you can go when you want to get your book out there. 

1.) Traditional Publishing - A publishing company publishes your book for you and you receive royalties (less than 10%, I hear). A reputable publisher would also give you an advance (though from what I hear, this rarely happens anymore). The publisher chooses your cover, provides your editor, etc. You may need an agent if you're going for The Big 5 publishers. Going for a small publishers is still trad. The rule of thumb is this: You don't pay the company anything to publish your book. Not a cent. You don't buy your own books to "help" them. You don't shell out money at all. The publisher shells out the money; in exchange, they get majority of your royalties. 

2.) Vanity Publishing - You go with a vanity press. You pay them to publish your book. They usually have "packages" for you to choose from when it comes to editing your work or designing your cover. Some of them don't ask for money upfront, but they do ask you to buy a certain number of your own book to "help" them. I haven't exactly met an author who was truly happy with their choice to go with a vanity publisher. My own encounter with one (Westbow) was very... irritating... because of their aggressive marketing strategies. I wouldn't go for this option. Ever.

3.) Self-Publishing (or as I prefer to call it, Indie Publishing) - This is what @suspensewriter is referring to. You have full control. You choose your cover from your choice of cover designers (there are some amazing ones out there, depending on your genre). You hire an editor. You have full control. It's a lot of work. Not gonna lie. I understand why some people would prefer to just go for a vanity publisher who will take care of everything for a price, but for me, self-publishing has been such a rewarding experience, even if I'm still in the trenches trying to figure out how to climb my way to success while helping others succeed as well. (We're better together. #ThisIsHowYouIndie)

Hope this somehow helps. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2018 at 9:42 PM, Swimkick said:

Several of you self-publish, so maybe you can help me out. The Predators and Editors website is no longer available. I would like to know where I can check out self-publishing companies' ratings and any concerns. I am looking into this avenue to publish when I believe it needs to be published, but publishers and agents say the market may not support the topic. Tight deadlines are difficult for me, too. Suggestions or input would be helpful. Thank you!

I'm not going to rehash it but read @Joanna Alonzo 's comment. It's spot on. What you're talking about is Vanity Publishing and I three words for that: don't do it. Keep your money and publish the book yourself. That's self-publishing.

Check out The Self-Publishing Formula. Listen to the podcasts, implement the podcasts, publish your books.

God bless.

On 4/14/2018 at 6:42 PM, Swimkick said:

The Predators and Editors website

You can blame me for crashing Pred-Ed. They went offline about a month after I pointed out a couple dozen mistakes.

Thank you for your kind reply. Since I posted that original question in April, my question has been answered.  Steve, I usually attend one conference per year. Sometimes I can ask questions and sometimes not. It depends on who I am able to speak with. Other times, I have other questions that are more pressing.

@lynnmosher There are a couple of conferences not outrageously priced, by the way. Taylor University Professional Writing Conference in Indiana is $99 for two full days with top Christian editors, agents, and authors. It isn't expensive to stay in the dorms. The Breathe Christian Writers' Conference in Grand Rapids is affordable, too. I think I paid $129 for two and a half days. It is in the midst of 5 Christian publishing houses. The greater expense would be travel, though.

Right now, I am in a writers' group with a writing coach since my book proposal is in the last edit soon to be sent to an agent. I've been able to ask a lot of questions there as well. I do appreciate the help all of you offer. You are such a blessing!

54 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Unfortunately, most of us can't afford to attend one unless it is close by.

Then your path will be much harder and take much longer.

15 minutes ago, Swimkick said:

@lynnmosher There are a couple of conferences not outrageously priced, by the way. Taylor University Professional Writing Conference in Indiana is $99 for two full days with top Christian editors, agents, and authors. It isn't expensive to stay in the dorms. The Breathe Christian Writers' Conference in Grand Rapids is affordable, too. I think I paid $129 for two and a half days. It is in the midst of 5 Christian publishing houses. The greater expense would be travel, though.

Hey, sweetie! Nice to see you. Thanks for the info. :D

2 minutes ago, Steven Hutson said:

Then your path will be much harder and take much longer.

Yes, for sure. But one cannot spend what one does not have. Attending any online conferences is then a big help.

Just now, lynnmosher said:

Attending any online conferences is then a big help.

Hard to have spontaneous private conversations that way.