Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

A Resource To Enhance Setting Description

This sounded interesting to me. If I wanted to enhance the surroundings of an area with wildlife, grasses, trees, wildflowers, etc., I'd get the book mentioned in this article. :D

My wife reads all this books about flora and fauna, so when I use a new setting, I ask her advice.  She tells me to go read books on the topic.  I then write the book, and she asks me why I didn't ask her.  It's good to have a good system in a marriage. 

Almost a necessity to know about edible plants when writing about survival situations too. Plants in my state in the pacific northwest are not the same as where I grew up in the Ozarks.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 5:39 PM, suspensewriter said:

My wife reads all this books about flora and fauna, so when I use a new setting, I ask her advice.  She tells me to go read books on the topic.  I then write the book, and she asks me why I didn't ask her.  It's good to have a good system in a marriage. 

I married your sister. :):)

Then there's those of us who write about worlds that don't exist.  We can invent all manner of details with happy freedom.  

SuspenceWriter?  Does your wife correct you when you do that?  

Feral chickens and happy little trees that look like they belong in a Dr.Seuss book. Barefoot Pilgerbruder in the rice paddies. Airplant pollen with psychotropic properties. A sky of twinkling LEDs where croops fly with gossamer wings.

Not nearly as hard to research as Northern Iraq in the 1st century A.D.

15 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

Not nearly as hard to research as Northern Iraq in the 1st century A.D.

Ah, yes. That could be a problem.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, Nicola said:

SuspenceWriter?  Does your wife correct you when you do that?  

Oh, yeah!

On 4/15/2018 at 6:32 PM, lynnmosher said:

There are biblical sites that offer that. :D

Thanks. I got my protagonist elbow deep in the birth canal of a camel. I'll market that one as YA.??

On 4/21/2018 at 9:45 AM, EClayRowe said:

Thanks. I got my protagonist elbow deep in the birth canal of a camel. I'll market that one as YA.??

Today I realised this is the only community where I laugh. I am deeply grateful for protagonists who sacrifice their dignity for YA.

On 4/14/2018 at 12:19 PM, Darrel Bird said:

Almost a necessity to know about edible plants when writing about survival situations too. Plants in my state in the pacific northwest are not the same as where I grew up in the Ozarks.

Don't forget about the non-edible plants.  Also, some domestic animals act differently in the wild.  Chickens without a chicken coop will roost in trees.  Hearing a rooster crow from the tree is still strange to me.