Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pprmint777

What Books Did You Read In 2013?

One of the best ways to improve your own writing is by reading, and reading widely. Reading in your own genre is important, but reading others broadens your scope. Since I was sick so much of 2013, I didn't get to read as much as I'd like, and much of what I did read was in my favorite genre (Mystery)--which is a genre I *don't* write in. I need to either start writing mysteries, or start reading more of my own genres. :D

Anyway, my list is here, if you're interested. I listed my top three faves, too.

What were your faves? Do you have them posted on your blog? Leave a link so I can see what you like.

That's a great list Linda and I see Terri Blackstock on it! I love her. :D

I haven't read as much fiction this year like I wanted. This has been an odd year so I've been devouring Joyce Meyer books.

Other books you can view in my goodreads library which isn't a lot...ehehe.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/22285498-victoria

I love that you have Peretti and Dekker on your list! I can't believe I forgot to add Peretti's Illusion on mine. I read it this year (2013). Love him. Love Tosca Lee, so I've wanted to read the books she writes with Dekker.

Also saw some terrific "how-to" writing books on your list. Good for you! Bill Brohaugh's Write Tight is one I recommend to most of my clients. The others you have from the Writer's Digest Write Great Fiction Series are wonderful too. I particularly liked Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint.

Terrific list, although I certainly understand why Joyce Meyer would get top billing!

That's hard to answer, I'm usually reading something all the time. I've reread some of my favorite author's work, Anne McAffrey. I also visited some of my other good friend: Star Trek. I spent a good part of the summer reading surprise reads from the library. All I knew when I checked them out was the genre and they were new releases. So I read some genres I hadn't read before as well as some authors I haven't read before as well as some I have. So I read the newest releases by Charlaine Harris, Stephen King, James Patterson, and others I don't recall.

I did some tutoring this fall and got re-aquainted with Flowers for Algernon, and Romeo and Juliet.

I mostly write non-fiction. The fiction I write is generally mainstream. Which i find unusual as I rarely read mainstream fiction.

As for non-fiction, I took several courses in adult education and online teaching. There were about 5 or 6 books on these topics.

I plan to read more writing-related nonfiction this year. I've been slack on that for the past couple of years. My first one is Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose. I learn so much by reading other authors, and I think this book will enhance that experience.

I forgot about Double Blind. That is a good book.

My list (not everything I've read, just some of the books I particularly enjoyed):

Stolen Legacy by David and Dianne Munson (suspense)

Gone to the Ground by Brandilyn Collins (suspense; published in 2012)

Trapped by Irene Hannon (suspense)

Because of Me by Fay Lamb (suspense; published in 2012; re-released in 2013 under the title Better than Revenge)

By the Waters of Kadesh (Second book in the Journey to Canaan Series) by Carole Towriss (Biblical fiction)

On Distant Shores by Sarah Sundin (historical fiction)

The Champion, The Protector, and The Gladiator by Carla Capshaw (historical fiction; published between 2009 to 2011)

I'd like to read Because of Me, and the series by Carla Capshaw--and of course, anything by Brandilyn Collins. She's a new fave. Mystery/suspense is my favorite genre--that's what I grab when I'm reading for entertainment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.