Copyright Vs. Registering Your Works

Johne

Guest Steven Hutson
Just now, zx1ninja said:

Then let me rephrase the question. Why do you want to reach as many people as possible?

Doesn't matter. Whether you're in it to get rich, or to serve God, I don't see a difference.

Either way, you want to put out only your best work.
And either way, you want the most people to read it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Steven Hutson
On 3/10/2018 at 6:26 PM, Nicola said:

That's terrific, Z!  You can say you are a registered author.  

I don't think I have ever heard anyone make that particular boast. Is that a thing?

Guest Steven Hutson
On 7/12/2018 at 11:06 AM, lynnmosher said:

I don't believe they can do that. I think the originator has to sign it up. 

Nope. Publishers (and other vendors) register copyrights in the names of authors, thousands of times each day.

On 9/28/2018 at 3:04 PM, Steven Hutson said:
On 7/12/2018 at 11:31 AM, William D'Andrea said:

all I've had to do is post my writings, and they've received automatic copyrights.   They haven't cost me a cent.

Huh?

Ummm...those sites will give you absolutely no legal protection. None. Zip.

This was in regards to the sites where he was posting his articles. Not a publisher.

1 hour ago, Steven Hutson said:

Nope. Publishers (and other vendors) register copyrights in the names of authors, thousands of times each day.

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

Z, I like your flaming Z! (I don't know how long you've been using it, but I just noticed this time.)

1 hour ago, Alley said:

It reminds me of Zorro.  :ph34r:  ?

Just started today. wasn't quite what I wanted, but it was time for something different and it fit in the display. Well almost.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really agree that getting the copyright registered is the only good choice, but registering will not prevent plagiarism. If someone does rip off your work, you have to be willing to take them to court. Further, even when you win, the judgment of the court has to be enforceable upon the guilty party; just imagine trying to enforce a judgment against a Russian national.

You can copyright blog posts, but I would not want the expense of registering each one.

Just some thoughts to consider. I register all my books.

-Barry Applewhite

• 1 month later...
Guest Steven Hutson
On 12/1/2018 at 12:48 PM, Barry_A said:

registering will not prevent plagiarism.

Of course it won't. But registration gives you legal rights that wouldn't have without it.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:48 PM, Barry_A said:

You can copyright blog posts, but I would not want the expense of registering each one.

I actually prefer that my blog posts go without. I've had my posts lifted at least a dozen times, and in every case they left my name on it. (I know this because Google Analytics tells me so.) Each instance brought hundreds of hits to my website, and tons of business referrals and paid gigs.

Your blog posts are copyrighted the moment you write them. And it's best to have some kind of copyright notice on your site, usually in the footer with the date. I've had mine shared on other sites (with my name and link) but that is not plagiarism. 

Guest Steven Hutson
8 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Your blog posts are copyrighted the moment you write them.

Of course they are. But an unregistered (c) gives you very little protection. You will need to prove that the infringer made money on it, and how much. 

Guest Steven Hutson
4 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Why would I spend that much money on registering each blog post?

Not suggesting you should. Only that an unregistered (c) doesn't do much for you.

Archived