Copyright Vs. Registering Your Works

Johne

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Is a work ever "considered to be in its final completed form"?

Horror story.

I ran across a free book on Amazon, one of the first I picked when I got a Kindle Fire. Robots Are Blue was the title. The blurb appealed to me as thematic emphasis seemed to be the freewill/determinism debate. Not a good book, but what do you expect for free?

Turns out it was originally released as Robots Are Red, also the title of another sci-fi book with a similar theme. (More of a sci-fi murder mystery, whether a machine could have "malice aforethought" in a homicide.) 

So the author of the book I read had to make "substantial changes" before re-launching the book under the new title.

I left a review which included commentary on the title, which seemed to fit better with the book I read since "blue" implies emotional distress while "red" connotes violent anger and rage.

I may start a correspondence with this author. It's one of those "I know just what this needs to make it better" stories.

This might help...

The vast majority of written books will use the single application, but the distinction of whether a work will require a single or standard application depends upon a few things. You can use the single application if your book was written by a single author who is also the only claimant to the work, and that work was not made for hire. Any work that is a compilation of multiple works, was created for hire, or was written by multiple authors (or artists, performers, photographers) will use the standard application. If you are unsure about whether you should use the single or standard application, check out this page.

Paying $35.00 for one piece of writing wouldn't be any problem for me.  $55.00 might be a little.  That is if I only had one piece of writing to register.  The problem is, that on writing.com, I have 47 items posted in my portfolio.  That means that having all of them registered would cost me either $1,645 or $2,585. 

Either one would be way beyond my means.  My entire income consists of monthly Social Security Benefit payments, and EBT payments to cover my cost in food.  After I've paid my rent, I usually have between $250 to $300 a month to get by on; so I have to be "frugal", or "thrifty", or "stingy".

Of course I wouldn't try to register them all at the same time.  Maybe one every few months would be more practical.  I'll now have to carefully consider which ones I'd prefer to register first.

Now I've stopped and wondered at what we're doing.  This is a Christian Writers website.  I assume that most of us are committed Christians, and yet we, (to be specific, me) are looking at this from an entirely worldly perspective.

For years now, I've been looking at my writing from this worldly viewpoint.  I've been telling myself and others, "No matter how good anyone's writing is, neither he nor she should quit his or her day job." 

Now I remembered the scripture: 

"Take delight in the Lord,  and he will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this."  (Psalms 37: 4&5)

That's what I should be doing as a writer.  I have committed much of my writing to the Lord.  Now I will delight myself in Him, giving Him thanks and praise.  Then I will "be still and behold what the Lord will do" with my writing.

That's what we Christian writers should all be doing.

In the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Amen.

8 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

For years now, I've been looking at my writing from this worldly viewpoint.  I've been telling myself and others, "No matter how good anyone's writing is, neither he nor she should quit his or her day job." 

Two thoughts:

• There is a reason we hear (and share) this mantra - it is good, practical advice. I know some young writers who have flirted with quitting good paying jobs because they feel they should make writing (for profit) their ministry. I counsel against that. Doing anything because you have a feeling is a bad idea, as is ignoring a consensus of professional critical opinion. (And, frankly, what I usually see isn't any particular obedience to the direction of God as much as dreams and pride. I have some experience with this vision - it is when I gave my writing over to God that I stopped daydreaming about giving up my own day job to be a novelist.
  • For what it's worth, in Technical Writing, we have changed over time from 'he / she' to 'they.'  I would represent this thought as "nobody should quit their day job."

I have no aspirations monetarily unless the Lord so chooses. I got started in writing because the Lord called me to write for Christians. So that's what I do. But yes, all Christian writers give their writing to the Lord. He's the one who can inspire, guide, bless, and prosper it.  :)

The Apostle Paul was a Christian Writer, who made a living with the secular job of Tentmaker.  According to the Book of Acts, he worked with Aquila, who had the same occupation.  This means it's possible that Paul was Aquila's employee.

Now Paul was among the Great Men chosen by God, to be among the great Leaders of the early Church.  However, when he was working in Aquila's shop, he had to obey that man's instructions.

Aquila's Retail Tent Shop must have been a very fascinating place to work' and/or patronize.  Who knows how many patrons were converted?

This could be a good topic for many Labor Day weekend sermons.

• 2 months later...
Guest Steven Hutson
On 3/7/2018 at 9:28 AM, jadijohnson said:

As a victim of plagiarism, I will NEVER send out another manuscript without copyrighting it first.

As in, sending it out to a publisher?

Guest Steven Hutson
On 7/9/2018 at 7:42 AM, zx1ninja said:

This company is supposed to have been in operation since 1920 

Yes, it's true. Dorrance is the oldest self-pub outfit in USA.

Guest Steven Hutson
On 7/12/2018 at 8:31 AM, William D'Andrea said:

all I've had to do is post my writings, and they've received automatic copyrights.   They haven't cost me a cent.

Huh?

Ummm...those sites will give you absolutely no legal protection. None. Zip.

Guest Steven Hutson
On 7/13/2018 at 3:15 PM, lynnmosher said:

I have no aspirations monetarily unless the Lord so chooses. 

Of course, you DO realize that publishers and agents are in it to make a living...?

9 minutes ago, Steven Hutson said:

Of course, you DO realize that publishers and agents are in it to make a living...?

I don't believe anyone on this forum believes that some one should work for free. In fact, they are more than willing to pay what's fair. And as everyone should, try to get the most for their hard earned money too.

However, everyone needs to watch out for those in the industry, whatever that may be, who present grand goals with honey ladden words, feeding our possibility unrealistic expectations. Then only partially meet those blue sky goals because the results are less than so grandiosely described. It cannot be denied that they exist and prolifically prey upon the unschooled.

So it seems fair, as we often do, to count on each other to a small extent, to help us see past our rose colored unrealistic expectations to view the reality of the offer.

Guest Steven Hutson
7 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

I don't believe anyone on this forum believes that some one should work for free.

That's good to hear.

But if you're not interested in making money, why should any agent or publisher take an interest in your cause?

1 minute ago, Steven Hutson said:

That's good to hear.

But if you're not interested in making money, why should any agent or publisher take an interest in your cause?

Money is not everything, most here would rather make a only little or break even to serve the Lord.

What do you believe?

Guest Steven Hutson
1 minute ago, zx1ninja said:

Money is not everything,

I agree.

And I thought the purpose of this site was to help writers achieve professional success. Yes?

Guest Steven Hutson
3 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

What do you believe?

I believe that if a message is worth telling, it's worth telling to the most people possible. Whether in ministry, or in business.

1 minute ago, Steven Hutson said:

I believe that if a message is worth telling, it's worth telling to the most people possible. Whether in ministry, or in business.

True enough, but success as you stated earlier is measured in different ways. How do you measure it?

Guest Steven Hutson
Just now, zx1ninja said:

success as you stated earlier is measured in different ways. How do you measure it?

I just stated it. Reaching as many people as I can.

52 minutes ago, Steven Hutson said:

LOL They won't get rich off my self-publishing. ;)

3 minutes ago, Steven Hutson said:

And I thought the purpose of this site was to help writers achieve professional success. Yes?

Yup. But each of us has to make our own way, whether that be traditional publishing or self-publishing. We are here to explore, offer info, help one another grow in our work, and encourage all members in whatever route they decide is best for them.  :)

Guest Steven Hutson

Just now, lynnmosher said:

Yup. But each of us has to make our own way, whether that be traditional publishing or self-publishing. 

Yup. And the routes to success (and the metrics) in trad or self-pub are not very different.

Archived