How Do You Decide What To Write/market?

zx1ninja

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/26/2018 at 9:33 PM, zx1ninja said:

Yes, yes it would. Maybe our group story could include broken fingers for our detective for asking to many questions. But he has to start asking the wrong guy first. Not sure how that would work with super glue and keyboard keys though.

I tried it with accordion keys

On 2/19/2018 at 7:59 PM, suspensewriter said:

My first publisher told me this- go to your favorite bookstore, locate your favorite genre section, the locate your favorite authors (no more than 3), then write a book that presents those themes, character types and tropes that most resonated with you in those selected samples.

Then, as the clever people say, rinse and repeat.

Great advice. Thanks for posting this!!

Just to throw my two-cents worth in, the stories I write generally started with a scene, in which I know what is happening.  Sometimes with a question (what if... is the general start).  And then I like to leave it for a few years, in which it grows by itself (and maybe has some help from myself asking questions like - if a, then what is b?).  I play with ideas, shuffle things around, see what the story is saying or what I would like it to say.  Then, when I'm ready, I start working on it.  Cut excess characters.  Work on the story-line, time, theme, setting.  And then write.  This is just generally how I like to roll with my stories.  It can take years, months, weeks or days.

My disclaimer - I'm unpublished, have yet to be paid for something I wrote, and am only just looking into the publishing industry.  So please don't take any of this as serious advice. 

6 minutes ago, Claire Tucker said:

My disclaimer - I'm unpublished, have yet to be paid for something I wrote, and am only just looking into the publishing industry.  So please don't take any of this as serious advice. 

Hey, I am published and it sounds like great advice to me!  Thanks, Claire.

7 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

So please don't take any of this as serious advice.

Everything here is serious advice! This whole site is serious! :D

Being paid and/or being published makes us feel better, but what works for you is what you do. I've done the same, let a story gel for a long time, and then finally, when I sit down, it flows. Forcing it before it's ready can create a problem.

9 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

.  And then write.  This is just generally how I like to roll with my stories.  It can take years, months, weeks or days.

Thanks for putting it into words. :) What a fabulous gift we are given. Suspensewriter has often encouraged us with that thought.  How privileged we are to dream and play with characters and scenes etc.  Your description here sounds like bliss to me. 

11 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Everything here is serious advice!

Aw, thanks!  

11 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Forcing it before it's ready can create a problem.

So true.  I think it was C. S. Lewis who said in a letter to a fan that "if you keep writing after the story stops telling itself, it becomes forced."  Or something to that effect.  

10 hours ago, Nicola said:

Your description here sounds like bliss to me.

It is bliss.  I really enjoy allowing a story to unfold and open by itself, almost like watching a flower open petal by petal.  I get to be a spectator as each petal unfolds and reveals its colours and beauty to the me.  And then I get to write what I saw.  I take the approach that the stories I write have been given to me to tell to the world.  In that way, my job is to faithfully lay out what happened and tell the tale entrusted to me.  

14 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

In that way, my job is to faithfully lay out what happened and tell the tale entrusted to me.  

You belong here, Claire! 

7 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I just worry that leads to procrastination.

My stories don't allow for delay.  If I don't write them down at the right time they hammer at the inside of my skull until I release the pressure.  

5 hours ago, Nicola said:

My stories don't allow for delay.  If I don't write them down at the right time they hammer at the inside of my skull until I release the pressure.  

And when that kind of idea hits, yes, I'd better write it down. But sometimes it's just a germ of an idea, and it doesn't grow right away. Then I have to let it fester until it comes to a head and wants to come out.

5 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Then I have to let it fester until it comes to a head and wants to come out.

But it wants to come out, it can be as demanding as a two-year old.  It just has to get out.  And it won't leave you alone until you let it out.

Archived