How Do You Decide What To Write/market?

zx1ninja

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

I think you and Nichola are better SW. I've learned so much from both of you and everyone else here. 

I think we're all learning from each other. And, the simple fact is, that none of us are alike, and all our writing is different. And that's the way it's supposed to be. God did not make all trees the same, even trees of the same species.

(Would somebody put my keys back in the right places? I had lots of typos I had to correct.)

5 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

But it would make a great story!

Yes, yes it would. Maybe our group story could include broken fingers for our detective for asking to many questions. But he has to start asking the wrong guy first. Not sure how that would work with super glue and keyboard keys though.

Just now, suspensewriter said:

You will make a great writer of hard boiled detective fiction, Nicola.

Really?  I never saw myself there.  I am not squeamish, I am often called devious, and I have no ear lobes (an old world sign of a criminal mind),  but I don't think I'm clever enough to put the clues together to bring the reader to a satisfying solution.  

4 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Really?  I never saw myself there.  I am not squeamish, I am often called devious, and I have no ear lobes (an old world sign of a criminal mind),  but I don't think I'm clever enough to put the clues together to bring the reader to a satisfying solution.  

I believe you would do better than you think.

Sorry to have side-tracked the thread. Perhaps to get back on course ...

Sometimes a story rolls around in my head for years before I figure out what to do with it. I used to drive by a pasture with black Angus cows and one old white pony. It took a while, but it turned into a story about accepting diversity.

There is a theory that all our stories come from our past, and they only become acceptable stories when we find adult approved themes to define them, and during this process their creative power is thereby muted to adult level.  Kind of like listening to NPR instead of music we really like so our opinions will sound more adult-like, or putting on dress clothes to impress people.

It reminds me of Jesus wanting the little children to come to him while the others were trying to keep them away.  Our child stories have more power sometimes without the themes.

So, sorry to be theoretical about this, but I wonder what your child story was before it grew up.  

After I read "Dracula" when I was in high school, I wanted to write a vampire novel. I had the beginning and the end, but I had no idea what happened in the middle. So it lurked in the back of my mind for years because I didn't know what to do with it. Turned out it was missing a key character. Once he showed up, it all fell into place and I wrote it very quickly.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, carolinamtne said:

Sometimes a story rolls around in my head for years before I figure out what to do with it. I used to drive by a pasture with black Angus cows and one old white pony. It took a while, but it turned into a story about accepting diversity.

18 minutes ago, RiaDimitra said:

So it lurked in the back of my mind for years because I didn't know what to do with it. Turned out it was missing a key character. Once he showed up, it all fell into place and I wrote it very quickly.

You know, after reading and thinking about what the two of you wrote, I'm really struggling with the idea of "stories rolling around in our heads."  Maybe that's true what you're saying- is it like they're all the time and we don't see them until the right character or theme shows up?  That's pretty impressive- hard to comprehend- but impressive all the same.

Archived