• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

LOL Sorry. Actually, I forgot about it. Been busy. Okay. Let's try these:

1) The chair is broken.

2) The book was old.

3) The glass was half full.

As the android contemplated the ever perplexing prose of the humans when the glass only contains  fifty percent of its fluid capacity in an effort to understand them. He noted the decaying book sitting beside it. The android decided simulating a human presence in the chair placed beside the table on which the glass and book are placed, may further his analysis of the prose. But decided there is damage and it may collapse if he did so. 

4 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

LOL Sorry. Actually, I forgot about it. Been busy. Okay. Let's try these:

1) The chair is broken.

2) The book was old.

3) The glass was half full.

1) Slim broke the chair.

2) The book aged.

3) An interesting Australian Moscato half-filled the glass.

(We cleaned up a broken bottle at work today. I think it was probably the best bouquet since God delivered me from alcoholism. Peachy and pear-like,hints of oak.)

10 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

I made a fix. I edited it.

LOL Oh! I didn't know you fixed it. :D

10 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

The android decided to simulate a human presence in the chair next to the table on which the glass and book are placed in an effort to further his analysis of the prose, But decided there is damage and it may collapse if he did so. 

Awww, man! Still two forms of to be. See if you can change them to action verbs. :D

6 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

1) Slim broke the chair.

2) The book aged.

3) An interesting Australian Moscato half-filled the glass.

(We cleaned up a broken bottle at work today. I think it was probably the best bouquet since God delivered me from alcoholism. Peachy and pear-like,hints of oak.)

LOL The first one is a good giggler ! Good choice of verbs, though I never thought of half-filled as a verb. :D

11 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

The android decided simulating a human presence in the chair placed beside the table on which the glass and book are placed, may further his analysis of the prose. But decided there is damage and it may collapse if he did so.

I still see are and is. o_O You're so good at writing these. I know you can change them. ?

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

I still see are and is. o_O You're so good at writing these. I know you can change them. ?

Your killing me smalls. :oops:

As the android contemplated the ever perplexing prose of the humans when the glass only contains  fifty percent of its fluid capacity in an effort to understand them. He noted the decaying book sitting beside it.

The android thought simulating a human presence in the chair placed beside the table supporting the glass and book, may further his analysis of the prose. But decided the damage may allow a collapse if he did so. 

Okay, copied for a new post after repairs. (If only chairs were so easy.)

Z, the key is to look for a verb that's disguising itself as a noun, adjective,or adverb.

"The table on which... have been placed...

... book and glass.... placed on the table..."  Object becomes subject; passive voice eliminated.

1 hour ago, EClayRowe said:

Z, the key is to look for a verb that's disguising itself as a noun, adjective,or adverb.

"The table on which... have been placed...

... book and glass.... placed on the table..."  Object becomes subject; passive voice eliminated.

Thanks E, I'll learn this yet even if it kills me. 

21 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

You know, the more I look at it the more it changes. Perhaps next time I'll wait a day or two before posting. Give myself a chance to change it a few times first. :P

LOL You'll get it. Not an easy task to bury the old habit of using some form of to be. ;)

2 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

The android thought simulating a human presence in the chair placed beside the table supporting the glass and book, may further his analysis of the prose. But decided the damage may allow a collapse if he did so. 

Z, would you mind placing a correction in a new window and not editing an old one? My eyes are crossing trying to find which one you corrected. LOL o_O

When I tried to retype that, Grammarly gave me a red line under simulating. So, let me try this:

The android thought that simulating a human presence in the chair, which was placed beside the table with the glass and book, might further his analysis of the prose, but he decided the damage might allow a collapse if he did so. 

I know. I know. I used WAS. But...on occasion, it is necessary to use a form of to be. No, not throwing that in to confuse you. Just to show you. You can't get rid of all forms of to be. However, that said, most need to be replaced. They drag down the pace and end up telling rather than showing. 

There is a difference between...

Jack threw the ball.
The ball was thrown by Jack.

This is one of those grammar glitches that throw a wrench in the works if we're not careful. ;)

This is good to learn by doing these exercises.

Z, would you mind placing a correction in a new window and not editing an old one? My eyes are crossing trying to find which one you corrected. LOL o_O

Okay.

This is one of those grammar glitches that throw a wrench in the works if we're not careful. ;)

LOL Someone stop the room from spinning, I'm gonna throw up. Or is it out, er down ... Make it stop. :eek:

LOL

Zebulun chugged Minerva's glass of punch as she barreled down on him. Applying some marvelous Kung Pow move that Nicholas or Suspensewriter could name and describe, she smashed a chair over his head and snatched her glass back.  She tipped the remaining punch down her throat and sang at the top of her voice, "'Tell me the old, old story.... ' You know, Zeb, the one from the book that taught Methuselah his abjads." 

Archived