Join Us For A Power Verb Exercise

lynnmosher

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/16/2018 at 4:13 PM, zx1ninja said:

bashing it's head in

OK, besides commas, the various uses of "Its" and "it's" compel me to intervene again. The problem resides in the "'s" as possessive. For all other nouns, "'s" creates a possessive. Someone's great great great great ever so great great grandfather (women should not accept the blame for these things that long ago), determined that the lowly "it" should reside in a category all its own. (Note the lack of apostrophe.) 

Apostrophes also indicate a letter lost in a contraction. The apostrophe eats letters in words such as "don't," "can't," "she'll" (not the outside of a snail), and others. "It's" falls into that category. Ergo, "its" = belonging to "it." "It's" = "It is."

Any other questions?

21 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

OK, besides commas, the various uses of "Its" and "it's" compel me to intervene again. The problem resides in the "'s" as possessive. For all other nouns, "'s" creates a possessive. Someone's great great great great ever so great great grandfather (women should not accept the blame for these things that long ago), determined that the lowly "it" should reside in a category all its own. (Note the lack of apostrophe.) 

Apostrophes also indicate a letter lost in a contraction. The apostrophe eats letters in words such as "don't," "can't," "she'll" (not the outside of a snail), and others. "It's" falls into that category. Ergo, "its" = belonging to "it." "It's" = "It is."

Any other questions?

Okay, learning a lot here. Just hope I can retain it, old age and all.

But in my defense I only spent 30 seconds writing those things. 

On 2/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, lynnmosher said:

1) The table was made of wood.

2) The man had lint in his pocket.

3) The porch was covered in slim.

The man discovered lint covering the lifesavers in the pocket of his new business slacks. He refused to step through the slime covered porch to go back to the kitchen and clean his hands. 

My freshman comp and journalism professor always maintained that there is one and only one right word for any sentence, and changing that word changes the meaning.  

"The sun sparkled" doesn't equal " the sun shined."

"Tears dripped" doesn't equal "tears fell." ( Nice coinage there with " dripple," even though my spell check won't accept it until I beat it into submission.)

"Thieves misappropriate" doesn't have quite the same meaning as "thieves steal."

The man perched on the couch.

The girl dribbled the ball.

The robot strode off the cliff.

Since he was also a features editor for Yankee magazine, I listened hard when he talked about writing. (I aced both classes,too.)

The table was built of wood.

The man stored lint in his pocket. (Notice the change from transitive to active, and the consequent variance in both mood and meaning without addition of sparkling adverbial appendages.)

Slim coated the porch. ( I didn't change the verb as much as I moved from passive to active. Lynn, ya let yer spielchucker run amuck agin.)

Mr. Dodecter rummaged in his barn full of finest cherry planks, selecting the longest for the table he planned to construct.

(Whew, I had a hard time with 'was made') 

Gregor caressed 60 years worth of lint in his pocket. His mummy never let him own a kitten. 

Bodacious slim cheerleaders sunned themselves like fresh cucumber slices on our south facing porch. 

1 hour ago, EClayRowe said:

Z, never let your spell check boss you around. 

Slim didn't make sense to me as it was presented the sentence provided. I assumed, (obviously erroneously) that it was misspelled in the first place and added the "e" for slime. As it then made sense in the context in which it was presented.

10 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

Slim didn't make sense to me as it was presented the sentence provided. I assumed, (obviously erroneously) that it was misspelled in the first place and added the "e" for slime. As it then made sense in the context in which it was presented.

LOL It was slime! Spellchecker doesn't catch correct spellings but misused! :D

28 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Mr. Dodecter rummaged in his barn full of finest cherry planks, selecting the longest for the table he planned to construct.

(Whew, I had a hard time with 'was made') 

Gregor caressed 60 years worth of lint in his pocket. His mummy never let him own a kitten. 

Bodacious slim cheerleaders sunned themselves like fresh cucumber slices on our south facing porch. 

LOLOL I love these! And it is difficult to replace ones like "was made.' Too fun! 'Specially love #2! xD

It was the image of a skinny guy covering the porch. It seemed like a perfect illustration

dang the spell-check wouldn't let go of that

of passive vs. active voice. Nothing is an accident. I'm sure Slim "the Cowboy Cantor" Morgenstern would agree.

Archived