Join Us For A Power Verb Exercise

lynnmosher

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1)Sun. Enervates

2) Tears. Dripple (ignore spellcheck.  If spellcheck hasn't heard of my word it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  And if it doesn't exist in the world at large, it should and I stand for its creation.) 

3)Thieves. relieve (aide with dostadning) 

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Okay. We're starting a new thread. Let's try these. I'll give you a bland sentence and you find a power/descriptive verb and use it in each example for a better sentence. Ready? Set? Go!

1) The sun shines.

2) Tears fall.

3) Thieves steal.

Living dangerously, are we?  Just wait til Nicholas and the Z man see this!

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Okay, I have to know.  How and where did you learn this!?

http://www.metronews.ca/life/health/2018/01/10/settle-your-web-presence-and-other-end-of-life-lessons-on-the-swedish-way-to-die.html

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

Living dangerously, are we?  Just wait til Nicholas and the Z man see this!

I am eager for the games to begin!

The Sun enervated the cucumber until even the fruit flies vomited.

Maria's nephew's tears drippled into his pistachio pudding when he heard she had been relieved by thieves of her '80's Tupperware. 

I saw it. I'll try to be good. -_-

1) The sun shines.

2) Tears fall.

3) Thieves steal

The sun's rays blasted relentlessly against the hull of the ship the thieves effortlessly acquired through their usually shifty means. Leaving the pilot and his passengers stranded and helpless, now raining rivers of tears on the space station. 

Yay! Now that's using power words/verbs. Although they don't have to be all in one thought, I like what you did! :D

Okay. Let's try some more. And they don't all have to be in one writing. They can be separate ideas/sentences.

1) The man sat on the couch.

2) The little girl bounced the ball.

3) The robot walked off the cliff.

10 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

1) The man sat on the couch.

2) The little girl bounced the ball.

3) The robot walked off the cliff.

Glad you approve. :D This new set is a little limiting. Thank you for the robot.

The man sat lazily on the couch while he watched the little girl vigorously bouncing the ball.

In the distance he watched the robot aimlessly walking off the cliff.

The man sat on the couch and crushed it- Lilliputians had such cheap furniture.  But the Lilliputian young woman bounced her red ball purposefully, angrily, plotting her revenge against the giant who had destroyed her favorite couch.  What would hurt him, she wondered, and then remembered his robot servant- the mark of the sinfully rich- and focused her thoughts on it.  It struggled against her at first, but finally yielded to her formidable psychic powers and began to walk toward the crumbling granite wall, climbed up on it and balanced precariously until the young woman clapped her hands together.  Without another thought, the robot walked off the cliff.

The young woman smiled and rubbed her tiny hands together.  She had no fear of giants, but they truly should fear her.

2 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

The man sat on the couch and crushed it- Lilliputians had such cheap furniture.  But the Lilliputian young woman bounced her red ball purposefully, angrily, plotting her revenge against the giant who had destroyed her favorite couch.  What would hurt him, she wondered, and then remembered his robot servant- the mark of the sinfully rich- and focused her thoughts on it.  It struggled against her at first, but finally yielded to her formidable psychic powers and began to walk toward the crumbling granite wall, climbed up on and balanced unsteadily until the young woman clapped her hands together.  Without another thought, the robot walked off the cliff.

The young woman smiled and rubbed her tiny hands together.  She had no fear of giants, but they truly should fear her.

LOL that's good SW

Moral of the story? Leave the little girl's stuff alone. 

LOLOL Oh too funny! xD SW, you remind me of hubs when he used to make up stories for the kids when they were little. 

All are so good. Donna's illuminated, descended, and pillaged are great power verbs. One thing this exercise exposes...those dreaded adverbs! Ugh! They make for lazy verbs. Though on occasion, they might be necessary. Okay, so let's take what you wrote and take out the adverbs and the verbs and use stronger verbs in their place. See what you can come up with. :D

As the sun illuminated through the window, tears of joy descended from her red swollen eyes. What the thieves pillaged was now recovered and returned.

As the sun beamed through the window, tears flowed as she realized what the thieves robbed from her was now recovered and returned,

Yours didn't need changing, Donna. You used great power verbs. These are just okay. You dun good before. :D

So, let's use them as an example.

*illuminated: beamed

*descended: flowed

*pillaged: robbed

See the difference? The first in each one is a power verb, although there's nothing wrong with the second ones but there's just not enough oomph in them.

Ooo oooo How about this? 

The girl threw the ball at the robots head so forcefully that it bounced over the cliff.  The man watched the mayhem from the couch because he had no legs, forcing him to just sit there. The robot's gyro was damaged by the ball and it stumbled to the cliff hopelessly plunging off into the craggy rocks below.

Naaa that was weak.

47 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Huh? - caveman like adverbs.  Shiny words.  Pretty words.

Why do we eliminate a whole category of grammar?   

Maria's nephew vanished into the plush cushions of her couch. In the apartment overhead the tenant thwacked a projectile, probably a rubber ball against the linoleum, over and over, until it sounded like a rusted robot had launched into oblivion and landed in the surf below a rocky cliff. 

Archived