Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicholas Reicher

Your Areas Of Expertise!

3 hours ago, EBraten said:

I'm originally from East Africa, so I'm going to invite myself into this discussion and throw in my two cents' worth. 😜 Ways your character could have been displaced from home: he could have been separated from his family through an inter-tribal war. He could have been kidnapped by a warlord in order to be trained as a soldier. Or, he could have been kidnapped to be sold in the slave trade. A lot has been written about the trans-Atlantic trade, but not much about the Arab slave trade. Arabs trafficked an estimated 17 million East Africans, many of whom were sold all over the Middle East.

(If you really want to go down a 19th century slave trade rabbit hole, you could read Sir Samuel Baker's "Ismailia – A Narrative Of The Expedition To Central Africa For The Suppression Of Slave Trade, Organised By Ismail, Khadive Of Egypt." It's Baker's own account of a military expedition he took in order to stop the trade in East African slaves, and it's available for free in Project Gutenberg.)

Thank you!  I've been leaning toward him being kidnapped and sold, but I've been unsure how it would go over.  The book sounds very interesting.  Thank you so much for telling me about it.  I will definitely be looking into it.  

lol.  This has been an interesting and informative rabbit trail on the topic.

My areas of experience are:

A bit of business from the whole game studio bit

Hashing out concepts

a bit of theoretical science

game design

1 minute ago, TDDracken said:

game design

I've always wondered if game designers would ever consider making digital character art for authors.  I've always thought it would be fun, but I also might not be understanding the definition of game design.  😊

There's a lot of different things that go into making games.  Game design refers to the base conceptual level for games and extends through choosing the art style, designing levels, statting out everything in the game world, and plot direction.  I might have missed a few things but you should have an idea.

Since I was the head of an indie studio that I founded I wore a lot of hats that go beyond the typical bounds of the different game designer roles and beyond the design aspect entirely.  For example, I wrote a 70+ page game design document for a top-down tank combat game for the e-sport genre.  It included art direction, stats for each unit and weapon, direction on the terrain of levels, micro-transaction and store ideas, marketing plans, tank designs, weapon designs, spreadsheets, and more.  It took two years worth of work and was nearly finished before I attempted to recruit the team to make it.

Usually you can break design roles down to specific specialties like level designer, art director, general game designer at the more conceptual level, and so forth.

Art typically falls under a different dedicated discipline.  You'll find things like character design, level art, animation, 3D modeling and rendering, and such under it.

Then you get into the business aspects like marketing, monetization, project and team management, and running the company/studio overall.

While I am a virtual encyclopedia of information (most of it useless ;) ) I'm particularly well versed in:

• Military life
  • Speak a little Hungarian which sounds strange and exotic to almost everyone since it's only spoken by 15 million or so people world wide. 
  • Southern culture/civil war history
  • IT related topics
  • Music - I play piano, guitar, bass, and violin
  • Psychology - going back to school with the aim of becoming a Christian counselor
  • Theology - once again in school, but a long practiced hobby as well
  • Wood working, lamp work, forging ... random hobbies!

If anyone could benefit from any of my vast random knowledge let me know !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kfoster825 said:

most of it useless

I don't think so at all!  All of it seems very helpful.

• Like 1

This poor thread has almost been forgotten. Maybe there's someone who could add to it.