Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicholas Reicher

Your Areas Of Expertise!

I was thinking of maybe an area of expertise that other members here can avail themselves of. For instance, I'm a veritable fount of information on a large number of assorted disciplines - 

• Japanese martial arts
  • Japanese weaponry
  • Chinese martial arts
  • Chassidic culture (well, Lubavitch culture anyway)
  • the history of the MACV-SOG group in Vietnam
  • 1980's computer programming
  • Godzilla movies (no kidding)
  • World War II military history
  • handguns
  • Jewish history (well some areas, mostly Ashkenazi)
  • Scottish weaponry
  • Theological viewpoints of Fundamentalist Christianity
  • The Bible Version issue
  • The strange quirky history of parts of New England
  • Music theory

Languages I've learned some of... Hebrew, Yiddish, German, a little Cherokee, a few words in Mandarin and Cantonese and Japanese.

When I say I'm something of an expert in Japanese martial arts, I'll just say there's a photograph of me somewhere standing next to the man who invented the rules for tournament karate!

So I can answer some or most questions on many of these topics.

Why's this important? We'll just say that from now on, nobody here will ever make the mistake of trying to put a silencer on a revolver in a novel in one of their novels!

There's got to be people here who have similar groups of assorted disciplines and knowledge that others here can take advantage of... what's your special areas of knowledge?

What odd bits of knowledge do you have you could share with others?

• Like 1

Wow! You are really full of it! LOL Sorry. I did mean that nicely. You really are full of a lot of great things. :D Good idea. I'm wondering if there's a place for this. Will check with Rebecca and if there's not, maybe she can invent something. ^_^

Let's see:

• I speak both mid (Arkansas) and Appalachian hillbilly, but the mysteries of lower Alabamian hillbilly are frankly beyond me.
  • My knowledge of Detroit ghetto talk is actually pallid and I find myself asking over and again "What?"
  • My knowledge of Detroit business talk is limited to saying that "I didn't know I couldn't park there, so please don't give me a ticket."
  • However, I can distinguish between Tupperware and Styrofoam with my eyes clothes ninety percent of the time
  • I have compiled a list of questions to ask the older people in my community, beginning with why it is they keep repeating the phrase "Get off of my lawn!" at the top of their lungs.
  • Another thing I'm fairly knowledgeable in is the art of TIG welding a silencer onto a revolver simply to prove that I can do it, and, yes, I can do it with a suppressor as well
  • Something I'm very proud of is having learned the language of squirrels.  For example, when they scratch on the kitchen screen with their right paw it means "Go get your wife and tell her to bring peanut butter crackers."  She is quite famous for that recipe.
  • Something I learned in survival training was that I cannot cause twigs to burst into flames simply by glaring at them, no matter what Lois Lane says.
  •  

I have a great many more interesting areas of expertise and abilities, but none of you, except perhaps Nicholas, Z, and Carolinamtne have the security clearances to hear about.  In fact, just reading the list of my capabilities above may put you at risk for a visit from the Men in- yes, you've got it- Black.

So stretch that through your head for a while as we say in Arkansas.

Edited by suspensewriter
confusing wording
  • Haha 5

Well, I take that back. I do make my own BBQ sauce! And a mean dilly bread and cinnamon apples and cheese grits and chicken and wild rice soup. and...well, this isn't very helpful, is it? :rolleyes:

Seriously though it's a fair question and possibly good to know.

I have over 30 years as a general automotive technician. Rebuilt a few engines in my time and put a V8 in a Gremlin (that was fun as heck).:D

Fair amount of knowledge of aircraft (though nothing too deep).:rolleyes:

Some knowlage of commercial trucks.o_O

I can probably weld a silencer onto any weapon, but I wouldn't recommend firing it afterwards.:oops:

At least as much about rocket science as the next person. :$

And if there's a strange noise under the house I'm calling the exterminator and not the ghost busters. :cool:

Oh, and at least as much add most people going to church about the Bible.

Edited by zx1ninja
Update
  • Like 1

Zx1ninja, where were you when my Pacer Wagon seized up on the highway to Norwich?

Nicholas, any thoughts on whether akido, judo, or krav maga would be effective techniques for reduced-gravity combat? (Or which one is easiest to learn by Matrix-style brain programming?)

Lynne, would your barbecue sauce help make textured vegetable protein edible? (Tastes like chicken. Really.. if nobody had real chicken for three-hundred years or so.)

And I think I can guess why silencers don't work on revolvers.

Reduced gravity combat or zero? There's problems with all of them! Japanese Jiu-Jutsu has an advantage in low or no grav. You do NOT want to apply force in a percussive strike! You'd go flying. THE best for low or no is Chinese Chin Na. It, like Jiu-jutsu, relies a lot on joint locks. The weakness of aikido and judo in that environment is the throwing techniques, or nage-waza.

1 hour ago, EClayRowe said:

Zx1ninja, where were you when my Pacer Wagon seized up on the highway to Norwich?

The pacer was a mistake.  But obviously I was unavailable. xD

Edited by zx1ninja
Update

A thought on matrix style programming - it only works on a non-existent reality. if I taught you how to do a jump kick through transfer of memory, your muscles and nerve endings haven't learned it yet. You could KNOW how to punch correctly, but you'd still need years of punching to get your muscles and nerves aligned with the knowledge.

9 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

Lynne, would your barbecue sauce help make textured vegetable protein edible? (Tastes like chicken. Really.. if nobody had real chicken for three-hundred years or so.)

LOL Yes, it would! :D

So, this Chin Na, could a Matrix-style computer teach it to someone who practiced Tai Chi?

The Pacer Wagon was a gift,a blessing. So was the Coupe DeVille that replaced it. My wife lost three cars to neglect.

I liked the Gremlin, especially after the v8 transplant. But the pacer I hated, felt like being in a fish bowl, and over half the engine and other parts needing repairs were under the cowling the windshield was mounted on. A real pian to work on.

The Cad was a major upgrade by comparison, unless it was a Cimarron.

I'll bet she's much better now. :D

47 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

THE best for low or no is Chinese Chin Na.

Hey, that's how I got both my thumbs broken at a Dr. Yang, Jing -Ming seminar in Chicago (he's the author of the famous "Analysis of Shaolin Chin Na" and an artist with an incredible sense of humor.  He dropped my son with a thumb lock so quickly that it happened while I blinked.)

• Like 1

Sounds more plausible that way.

Right now, I have my hero killing the major antagonist by throwing a screwdriver at him. What I want is more of a Liberty Valance kind of thing, where he's torn up by guilt because he's violated his own philosophy of non-violence, only to learn in the epilogue that the artificial intelligence did it.

10 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Chin Na could be transferred to anyone Matrix style. You already know how to grab something. It's joint locks. Where to grab is the trick.

Cool! So maybe a computer feeds in a killing stroke, telling Harkness it's the only way to immobilize his opponent. Classic cinematic neck break, manslaughter not murder, but Harkness loses his reputation, has to find a way to forgiveness. 

4 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

I liked the Gremlin

Here's a quote from Wikipedia: "Time magazine noted two definitions for gremlin: "Defined by Webster's as 'a small gnome held to be responsible for malfunction of equipment.' American Motors' definition: 'a pal to its friends and an ogre to its enemies."

How's that for commentary on it?  I like the AMC definition the best!

• Haha 1

DIf they had saved the Pacer body style for a front-wheel drive four-banger...no, wait, that was a Kia Rio..?

My brother's Monza had its own peculiarities. The easiest way to get at the last two spark plugs was to dismount the engine and rock it forward.

I really wanted  a Levi's Special Edition. Way cooler than a 'Vette

Yes,my wife is better about cars. We have a ten-year-old Yaris. Code reader says it's running fine.