Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

twinwillowsfarm

Cost of Books - What's Your Perfect Price as a Consumer?

Like everyone else, I think $10-15 is about right. However, I've noticed, with my favorite authors, they end up being $20-$30 at first, even the ebooks (if they even come out the same time as the hardcover).

I don't have any problem with cheap ebooks. I've been reading self pub authors for awhile, and there's some really good books out there. What price they choose to set is what most people will pay for them, whether they like it or not. The percentages of what the authors get are not that different from self pub to trade, even if the prices are. Most trade authors may get 6% of the profit, while most self pubs get 70%.

I encourage Authors not to under-value their books. That is just as bad as over-pricing the book. Same rules apply to the eBook version. If a softbound book retails for $10, the eBook should be close to 50% of that, so $4.99 is a reasonable price.

For books I am buying for entertainment or leisure anything ranging from free to about $8.99 is a definite buy range... my absolute max is 14.99 and that's only if it is a must buy situation.

I don't always buy by author, I'm one that reads the inserts and if my heart quickens I purchase it at the price. I usually go with me heart. I will say that some of the books I have purchased at the least price has been the most rewarding. I have one I paid 2.99 for the ebook and have read it several times. It's the customers needs that prompts the purchase. Ofcouse, as a Christian writer I mostly keep my purchases in the arena of encouragement and uplifting. I tried to review a book fiction and couldn't get pass the language after the first couple of pages, so I tend to stay away unless I know it is a Christian book.

I'm a cheapskate, so if I see a book for $15, yuck! $10 is as high as I go, I think, and I prefer lower. $20 is outrageous.

I love to support my fellow authors, but not having a lot of spare cash, I too, tend to wait until a favourite authors book is down in price.

Being in the UK, I'm not sure about dollars. I will spend £1.99 for an ebook and £3 to £4 for a paper back.

I am a bit late to chime in on this thread but thought I would add -- I can't believe some eBooks with a price from .99 cents to $3.99 that are less than 40 pages. I like short stories but when I see a, so called book, listed for several dollars and scroll down to find it is 26 pages long, seems a too much. Several short stories into a real book, that I might buy.

If I really want to read it and I like the author, I don't mind paying up to $20. Really, I have no set price. I won a book when I entered a blog contest once. It probably costs around $6.99 at Walmart. It turned out to be one of my favorites and one I've read multiple times. Just like you can't judge a book by its cover, you can't judge a book by its price.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.