Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

twinwillowsfarm

Cost of Books - What's Your Perfect Price as a Consumer?

Take off your author's hat for a moment and think of yourself as a book customer only. What is the perfect price for your favorite type of book, a real "I can't put it down!" type of book? Not a sale price, not something off the clearance rack, but a just published - can't wait for the library - I have to have it now type of book.

I don't care if it's e-book or paper, and for this poll, I hope you don't either. :cool:

I wouldn't mind spending around ten dollars on a book that I particularly like. (Sorry. I guess I'm cheap! :( )

If I knew that such a book would be a collectors' edition or if it were to be something passed down to family members, I probably would spend more. :P

$10 to $11 is about my threshold for most books. Between December and February I purchased 13 fiction books from a series. Most of them were $7-8, but the last four's prices were up to $12...I bought them anyway because I loved the author's writing style. It is interesting though, I didn't think about the total I spent in that time period. (Side note these were all e-books for my pandigital)

With the exceptions for large hardbacks with glossy pages and lots of pictures, or some similar specialty book, I would be hard-pressed to pay more than $25 for any book. Within that range, I'm pretty flexible, although $10-$15 is what seems most reasonable to me.

Okay, just to add to the discussion, have you ever looked at book, not known the author, read the blurb and thought it interesting, but looked at the price and thought, "It's so cheap, it probably isn't worth reading."?

I have to admit I can remember doing this once, quite a long time ago. After all, if it was a good book, why were they practically giving it away? If it was good, wouldn't it have sold for a normal price?

Okay' date=' just to add to the discussion' date=' have you ever looked at book, not known the author, read the blurb and thought it interesting, but looked at the price and thought, "It's so cheap, it probably isn't worth reading."? [/quote'']

I am not an impulse buyer, so, really, price in either direction is rarely a factor in my choosing a book. However, I probably would be more inclined to pass on an under-priced book than an overpriced one. Really depends on the book and the circumstances though.

I'll pay $13.99 before my membership discount at Barnes and Noble for a CF romance.

I'll spend more for writing resources and travel books.

I won't spend more than about $5 for an e-book, I'll buy the print copy if it's much more than that.

For certain authors, I'll spend up to $9 for ebooks and up to $15 for hardcovers. But that's the exception. Most of the time, my top prices are $5 for ebooks and $12 for hardcover or softcover books.

Okay, love to write fiction, love to read stuff on the net, haven't bought a piece of fiction for myself since long before my son was born. Just spent $50 for two books from Sally Stewart related to writing and marketing my writing. Guess I've been a broke little girl for far too long and am only willing to buy books for my career. That said, if I were to buy a book, I'd be less inclined to worry a cheap book wasn't as good as a more expensive book. I can't see how a Dooney & Bourke is worth more than any of my leather purses or why I should spend $50 for a pair of jeans when I can get the same look and comfort from Wrangler for $15-20 at WalMart or Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Not generally a buyer. There aren't that many thing of a non-reference nature that I "have to have."

And Just how do we expect to be compensated for intellectual property when we don't compensate others? (Talk about beams in my own eye. I'm typing this on a library computer because I'm here to borrow books to get through the next week of granddaddy day-care.)

Okay, just to add to the discussion, have you ever looked at book, not known the author, read the blurb and thought it interesting, but looked at the price and thought, "It's so cheap, it probably isn't worth reading."?

I have to admit I can remember doing this once, quite a long time ago. After all, if it was a good book, why were they practically giving it away? If it was good, wouldn't it have sold for a normal price?

It's a shame we think "more is better" I had the most difficult time deciding what price to list my book, for the very same reasons you gave. I went with what I considered a reasonable amount considering that I am a fairly unknown author without a marketing staff behind me. So far I can't complain, but there is an old saying that goes "Don't judge a book by it's cover" It could be someone with limited means that has something wonderful to share.

4EHC, I agree that it's not right to judge a book solely by the price. However, price can be a factor when all else is unknown, both too high and too low. I don't think this is an issue with on-line shopping, because if we're on-line, we're most likely checking out the reviews. That's not an option when browsing in a bookstore - unless you have a phone with browsing capabilities.

I know from experience selling other things that prices matter - a lot! When I finally listened to other breeders and raised the price on my fleeces, I was amazed how quickly I sold them. The perception was, I was an unknown with low priced fleeces... how good could they be? Then I was an unknown with high prices fleeces and the perception changed to... she must really have something there! The same thing happened when I raised the price I was asking for my lambs. As a newbie shepherd, I didn't feel like I should get "the big bucks" and thought I should "pay my dues" and start small. I can't thank my mentors enough to setting me straight. Price really does matter! Of course... you also have to have the product to back it up. Here's one of the nicest comments I've ever received, it came today:

Sent the money- thanks for getting them both in a box! I know prices on all shipping have increased, and if it wasn't for my already knowing the quality of your critters' fleeces, I might not have ordered any. But your sheep are the best! Thanks again!

My fleeces sell about 75% to repeat customers. You gotta love that! That's what the big name authors have going for them too. The delivered and people want more. I'd love to get there someday!

I never spend more than five dollars on ebooks honestly and I NEVER buy anything that's just been released. I usually wait a month and buy a like new or barely used copy from Amazon.

The cost should be even less for e-books. I'm constantly amazed at what some people will charge. There's no printing costs or other direct overhead. It's just a digital file. Some publishers are just plain greedy if you ask me. I personally think $2.99 is the right place to start.

I often spend upwards of $18.00 on a book. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me as a suggested retail price. Of course, if said book is discounted, all the better! In fact, if the initial price is less than $10, I might be suspect about the quality ...

I find it the height of irony that we writers, of all people, are reluctant to purchase new books or to pay the higher prices. After all, don't WE want people to purchase OUR our books? I'm guilty as charged, I've bought many used books and won many from the blog contests. That's part of what instigated this thread - guilty feelings! If I want people to purchase my book, if and when it ever sees print, I should be willing to do the same for others. At least... I think I should...

Quite honestly, I rarely buy books new unless they're on sale, so this is rather a moot point for me. I rarely encounter a book I absolutely can't wait to read, or if I do, I force myself to wait a little longer until I can get the book out of the library or put the book on my wish list. I don't think I can remember buying a book for myself that was new, was not on sale or clearance, and cost more than $10, or thereabouts.

Books for other people? Sure, if I have the money. But for myself, I usually just stick with the library, or wait until they're within my ideal price range.

But then, I'm just a jobless high-schooler; I prefer to save whatever I can get, either through birthdays, Christmas, or the occasional job for a family member. I don't usually have much, if any, money to spare, anyway.

Up to $10 for a paperback or up to $18 for a hardback. I have to be totally obsessed about a series to pay more than that. lol

I might sound "cheap" but most of my favorite books do run $6.99-$7.99 and to me, they are classics.

I have spent between $10 - $15 on books for paperbacks for series I knew. I have a big collection of Star Trek books at home and all the Etheshar books by Lawrence Watt Evans. Also Stephen Brust and Vlad Taltos books are all in my collection. Other than that I look at the book to see if it intrigues me with it's look or if it is at the dollar store for a dollar. (Space Vulture)

I am a voracious reader and I buy things when the topic really interests me and I read a few pages on my Kindle and still like it. I have bought 54 books since Christmas when I was given the Kindle. What I find ironic though, is that many of my favorite books are the ones that were free (classics) and those that were very inexpensive (non-fiction e-books for $2.99 or less) I've wasted money in some cases because the books didn't pan out to be as good as I thought they would be. I think digital novels that are 9.99 or more aren't priced properly for what you are getting.

For print books, I don't like to pay more than $12 for paperback and $20 for hardcover.

It's kind-a-sad when one has written a book with great expence sometimes and some sites in internet give books away free or just for couple of dollars. Nice for the customer, but I feel sorry for the writers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.