Blog Before Publishing

Teddy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, a blog post can be any length. However, most people will not read lengthy ones, which would be over 800 words. If you write for a Christian site, they may ask for a 250 word limit. I can't write like that. It's too short. I also don't like reading short ones. I don't believe you can get into depth in 250 words. On the other hand, other Christian sites may ask for longer pieces like 1000+. The best rule of thumb is to aim for 500 or so words.

Okay. Now. The number thing. If you were writing a post on love and used the love verses in 1 Cor. 13 and you wrote it in this way...

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. 1 Cor 13:4-10

It would need to be written this way...

“Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.” (1 Cor. 13:4-10 NKJV)

I took out the verse numbers. Hope that helps. :)

LOL You got it! :D

Another tip on quoting Scripture: when you quote a Scripture, you use quotations marks to enclose it. So what happens to the quotations marks that happen to be used in the verses? You have to change them. Okay, here's an example. Here it is copied straight from my Bible program:

12 To whom He said, "This is the rest with which

You may cause the weary to rest,"

And, "This is the refreshing";

Yet they would not hear.

13 But the word of the Lord was to them,

"Precept upon precept, precept upon precept,

Line upon line, line upon line,

Here a little, there a little,"

That they might go and fall backward, and be broken

And snared and caught.

Is. 28:12-14 NKJV

This is what it would look like if you inserted it into your writing:

“To whom He said, ‘This is the rest with which You may cause the weary to rest,’ and, ‘This is the refreshing’; yet they would not hear. But the word of the Lord was to them, ‘Precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little,’ that they might go and fall backward, and be broken and snared and caught.” (Is. 28:12-14 NKJV)

• 2 months later...

Aww, thank you, Darvis! Ha! Found your name! ;) I can't take any credit, though. This site is filled with great stuff! And people! :)

I loooove your tagline: From atheist to Bible smuggler! Awesome! And you've done an awesome job with your site. I know it will truly help. Especially with that tagline! May the Lord bless your efforts! :D

Thank you, Lynn! You can be modest, okay, but it was mostly your advice in this thread that got me going in the right direction. I also signed up for your blog, and I'm really enjoying it. And I have studied your style to understand more of how things are done. After reading what you advised here, I began studying a great many blogs, and saw how right you have been in all you advised here. :) I won't overdo it here by saying thanks again. (but thanks!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived