Blog Before Publishing

Teddy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roughly 20% of self published books never even cover the associated costs. And the average income derived from self published books is way below the poverty line and will be, I think for the foreseeable future. Odds are getting even worse because so many more writers publish themselves with today's electronic tools. John Kremer says that in his experience the average writer earns less than $100 per year from their eBooks. That's why it's so important to have an identifiable following through blogs et al- because there are so many writers out there who "making books" that it gets harder and harder to be "found." Sometimes self publishing a book is like throwing a pebble at an avalanche. That pebble gets lost in the debris the second it mixes in with tumbling mass of other self published books offered for sale.

This isn't to say it's not possible to be successful with self publishing- there are as many stories of success out there as there used to be network marketers. Writers telling other writers how successful they are is just another way of self-promotion. Mary Kay put it well when she said, "Fake it til you make it." I don't agree with it as a way of doing business, but her point was that people who don't keep saying they're successful don't draw attention to themselves to gather a following. Unfortunately I think that if every writer told the truth about their writing income a lot of people would just give up the craft. But it really isn't only about the money.

My concern is even "for the love" writers are now getting lost in the sheer volume of books being put out there.

I'm not so worried about the payout on a personal basis, but it's that trade-off where I think every author who writes something of import and value has to do the work of making the world aware of it. It makes me think of James 2: 16-17. Equal parts faith and action. After we write it, we need to be willing to do the work to get the word out. Which means I need to do more of what we're talking about, so I'll sign off and get to it. Blogging....back to it. I just started mine at www.thejesusroad.com and I'll let you know how it goes. This may be painful.

The most widely used are Wordpress.com (which is the free side), Blogger, and weebly. There are others but I don't know anything about them. Wordpress is the most widely suggested. You can google it if you like. :)

I find this interesting and appreciate the comments of those 'in the know'. I'm curious why this hasn't shifted. In other words, my experience is that blogging and social media are in a downward trend at the moment. Yes social media is HUGE... but also seems to be highly questioned now. The consensus seemed to me that most bloggers are now only read by other bloggers. You see that some in the games people play with liking and following just to get likes and follows in return. I don't get excited over followers anymore as they are most likely doing it to get followed. I get excited over consistent likes.... i.e. true readers. Those are the people I'm writing for (well, and me ;) ) The big win Is a comment! ;) You also see scenarios in this very thread were people feel forced to blog, or as many have expressed... how to make money blogging!!! Seems a highly watered down, seldom read field at the moment.

I also noticed some minuscule anecdotal evidence from my blog from a few years ago which gained 50 followers in a fraction of the time my new blog has gained 20 on the same site with the same type of content in the same channels. I.E. I'm writing more, working harder and have less followers than I easily gained a few years ago. In my mind, its seemingly writers fighting other writers for followers who are all writers. Rough crowd to convince a publisher you have good stuff. (but I'm only speaking from what I have noticed and this should in no way be taken as any from of suggestion/recommendation.. just chatting).

I think this is true for several reasons: so many more are blogging and writing books so readership has dropped off, mainly because it's been spread too thin. Too much competition. And people have less time. Everyone across the board has lost readers. I used to get numerous comments on my blog. Now, I'm lucky if I get one! I don't believe the *big names* have suffered this, just the little guys. :(

As suspensewriter pointed out though it's about who wants it that is looked at. (Thank you for the reminder.)

Be it for a traditional publisher or for self publishing. And if you write it, there's no guarantee they will buy it unless you advertise. Taking us back to the blogg and post readers who hopefully want to see it, will buy it, and therefore make it desired in the beginning.

And yes, there are those that are only selfishly motivated by numbers. But they will, without realizing it, be spreading the word.

If I don't do all I could to make it open for God to use, what good is it? Or myself for that matter if I don't do my best to respond to what I've felt called to do.

WordPress just got a new blogger. :D

Yes, if we feel called to this writing adventure, we need to be obedient to continue the path unless the Lord leads otherwise.

Wordpress is my favorite. I have wordpress.org (the paid side). One thing, at some point down the road, you might want to upgrade your site. It just comes with the territory. And if/when you do, and you switch to a paid site, if you're already on WP dot com, it is soooooo much easier to switch over. I went from Blogger to WP dot org and I had someone else do it. It's a chore. And I lost some old posts. Only on the site. I still have the docs.

Glad you started on WP! I wish you well! :)

Hello! This is my first post here. I joined yesterday and am still exploring. I am blogging because I was told to. I have overcome my 'only adding noise to the internet' fears by telling myself that if the tree falls and no one is there.... Therefore, only those God leads to my blog will hear the noise of it falling. I pray that noise will be stirring to thoughts of campfire, or good furniture, or a log cabin.

leoshine.wordpress.com

I post once a week. Sometimes I post excerpts, though I have been warned against this. I think I should demonstrate to my audience that I can write something longer than 250 words. :cool:

Here's some general advice: 1) be sure you have a picture of yourself in your sidebar at the top. Readers like to know who is writing what they're reading, 2) be sure to have a subscription box and set up an email service, 3) be sure to have a picture in your header, and 4) be sure to have a picture for each post. Images are highly important and getting more so. Hope this helps everyone. :)

Archived