Learning To View Myself Through The Heart Of Jesus

Guest TomTripp

Guest TomTripp

Eric Hoffer observes, "We tend to shape ourselves in the image others have of us. It is not so much the example of theirs we imitate, as the reflection of ourselves in their eyes and the echo of ourselves in their words." If Hoffer is correct, then being shaped into the image of Christ requires coming to grips with who we are in Christ's eyes and what we are in His words. What better place is there for us to make this discovery than looking in at what Jesus said to persons like us about who we are in His eyes?

I have written a manuscript, tentatively titled Jesus Calls Me His Friend, that grew out of an awareness in my life that a paradigm shift had to take place within me. I grew up in a family where my father provided for our needs but had little interest in intimate connection with his children. He was a skillful handyman, a good teacher of morals, and a strict disciplinarian. I came to view God in such a likeness: as a Provider and a Teacher and a Disciplinarian. While living in that mindset, I was a dutiful Christian, working diligently at being a good servant to my Master. I believed the right Biblical truths, but in my actual experience God felt distant and detached, so I lived a life of self-sufficiency and self-containment. Like the older brother in Jesus' parable, my diligence to be good left me failing to embrace the joys of life. To enter the intimacy with God that leads to the joy God desires for us I needed to undergo a paradigm shift in my understanding of my relationship with God and of God's heart toward me. To embrace such a transformation, I needed to explore and discover what Jesus actually felt toward and said to people, so I looked for stories in the gospels in which the very heart of Jesus toward a person is disclosed (in words of endearment spoken to them or the description of His heart's bent toward them).

Welcome to our writing family. Glad you joined us. Tell us a little more about yourself and what you like to write.

What fathers often forget, or do not know, is that all children learn who their heavenly Father is and what He is like through their earthly father. Glad you see Him more fully now.

Be sure to check out the FAQ to see how things run around here. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing!

Welcome to Christian Writers. You have an awesome family here.

I'm intrigued by your intro. I think about this quite often. I deeply desire to have a relationship with my children and even strongly desire for them to have one with God. I also know that as the father/husband of the home I need to provide for my family and I can't be with them always like God can.

I sometimes think about getting a p/t job but that would mean spending more time away from them. God tells me to teach his word with them, in the morning and at night, walking or sitting with them, and that's exactly what I want to do, but every day responsibilities take me away from that.

growing up, we tend to go through things and like so many generations we want to give our children what we missed out on. What we didn't have we want our kids to have, and sadly it's taken us further away from God than we were to begin with. Now I see that throughout my years, and a lot of this is due to my actions, I missed out on God. I didn't have God. And that's what I want for my children, to have God.

if that makes sense. Well, it's a pleasure having you here and I look forward to talking with you.

God Bless

Guest TomTripp

Thanks for your comments. I hope that in this forum I can be encouraged in my writing and that I will be able to encourage others in their writing.

Tom,

Welcome. You are staying strong on that path to dwell with God. That's an encouragement to everyone.

There are good Christian writers here sharing their knowledge. I hope you are strengthened and will help others too.

John

Archived