Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greg.elsasser

Music While Writing

Hey Everyone: just trying to get a good list of music to listen to while writing. Unfortunately, I can't listen to music with lyrics while I'm writing (too hard to concentrate), but I can listen to instrumental music.

Any suggestions or favorite music of yours?

Greg

LOL I can't listen to lyrics either. I end up singing with it! Two things I do. I either listen to the easy listening channel (cable) or Pandora. On Pandora, I made a station called soft music and one for Christmas called peaceful holidays.

Does the tone of the music matter? I find it helps if the music matches the mood of the scene I'm writing. Movie soundtrack music offers countless variations.

I agree with Lynn. I sometimes listen to Pandora or the easy listening channel. Listening to lyrics often interferes with writing.

Toni

​I can't really listen to lyrics either. I never used to write with music but now almost always I write with music. For me tone is a big deal. I noticed that if my mind is calm that's when my creativity really flies.

So to provoke calmness I listen to A LOT of soothing music. Some are instrumental or ambient.

Rarely I'll listen to movie soundtracks but they are really good for writing epic scenes. Even game soundtracks are good.

Here's my favorite writing music. Very relaxing to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQYxDFHIOJw

i usually have the television on for background noise, but i don't pay attention to it. Music is the same. I don't find myself distracted by it, it's background noise.

Among the instrumental pieces I listen to are ragtime pieces like Solace and Maple Leaf Rag by Scott Joplin, Fanfare for the Common Man, and Wagner's Overture to Tannheuser.

When I need a lift, I listen to "God Will Lift Up Your Head" by Jars of Clay and "Testify to Love" by Avalon.

When I need humility, I listen to "We are Not as Strong as We Think We Are" by Rich Mullins.

I love to listen to "Jesus" by Rich Mullins and sung by a woman (forget who), because of the line "Write me into your story".

Paul

I, as most of the people above, can't listen to music; either with lyrics or without, because I will concentrate on the music (I am very musically inclined)

Now, I have written lyrics to instrumental music, which is quite satisfying. In fact my favorite music, which tends towards jazz/orchestral/big band/ r&B/funk, is the inspiration for lyrics I have written. I have done Kirk Whalum, The Rippingtons, Michael Lington, to name a few.

Sometimes silence is a must. I will write for an hour and not even be aware that it is quite. However, I often find myself able to get into a certain scene if I have music. The best music of all are scores to films. These are, in essence, soundtracks, without words. The reason this is so effective is that the music has been made for action, or death, or joy, and these can add great emotion into writing. Look up Broken Saints and other music by Tobias Tinker. The best scores, though, are from films you have not seen, as the film does not play in your head, and you are more in control. Another good attribute of this is that you can listen to music from films that you would never watch, due to the content, yet the music is wordless and wonderfully made. Try i-tunes stations, as well. Also consider the soundtracks to many modern day video games, which, while it may sound odd at first, have some wonderful music in them. Hope this helps you find some great music and inspires you to write with emotion.

Like Chas, I don't listen to music while writing--with or without lyrics. I used to sometimes, but nowadays, if the music has lyrics, I concentrate on them; if the music doesn't have lyrics, I concentrate on the music. It probably has something to do with the fact that one of my sons is a pianist and a composer, and I know more about music than I used to. I end up getting lost in the music, thinking oh, that's a cool recapitulation, oh, it switched to a minor key, etc. I tend to write best when it's still dark in the morning, without the lights turned on, when everyone else is still asleep. I fumble in the dark to turn on the computer, get myself all set up to write. But once everything is set up, I can get some business done.

And I agree with Trent that modern video games have some wonderful music--no good to me when I'm writing, but still nice music. :)

I can't listen to music with lyrics when writing either. I love to listening to CD's of Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, Telemann, Vivaldi and others while working. I have a 5 CD-changer that does the job. Also, I created stations on Pandora of Baroque Masters and Classical Masters that works well too. Playing either in the background quietly, volume "just enough" is relaxing and helps you concentrate- create.

I don't listen to music while I am writing, but occasionally something I hear on the radio will strike a chord (no pun intended) with a scene I am envisioning and help me think about it better. When that happens, the scene and the song are inextricably linked in my mind, even if the scene is somewhat different than the lyrics. An example of this is "I won't give up on us" (popular song this past year). The mood and the chorus struck home with me for the final scene of the book I was working on where a character and the character's love interest are separated by hundreds of miles (and armies of bad guys) and lots of folks back home think the missing character might be dead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.