Blog You are cordially invited

Postmodern Christians have a historic and extraordinarily difficult task on our plates: we have to figure out just what the heck it means to be a postmodern Christian.

This task would be hard enough with peace, quiet, and all the gtime in the world, but we have to do it in the midst of the most chaotic and volatile time in human history, and even better, we are being attacked from all sides.

Hatred of Christ and his people has never been more raving and feverish, from social media, to scientism, the school system… you know, everybody.

And worse than that, we are being attacked by other Christians. Ultra-fundamentalism is groping and harassing us like an octopus from the past, insisting that we must do things exactly the way they have always been done for the last hundred years. Even though that way has clearly failed.

At this point I would like to make a clarification: by postmodern Christian I mean only a Christian living in the postmodern era. Postmodernism, by definition, is incompatible with True Christianity, with all its subjectivism and anti-logic and rejection of Truth itself. I have nothing to do with this hollow and murky mindset. Now where was I…

There has never been a stranger time to be a Christian. The world has never had so much power and, if we are honest with ourselves, it has never been so difficult even to see the borders of the world and the Spirit. How postmodern.

The Body of Christ is in disarray. We have been overwhelmed, shouted down, bogged down by infighting and betrayed by shitty progressives. As a result, many of us have admitted defeat, raised our hands in surrender, and bunkered down in our medieval castles as the siege against us rages on.

Well, to those people, I would respond twofold:

One, is that such a mindset is commonly known as the sin of cowardice.

Two…

Winston Churchill famously remarked, 'A lie gets halfway round the world before the Truth has a chance to get its pants on.' I don't know exactly when he said this, but I do know he died in 1965. He has always been right.

Until now.

The power of the Lie has feasted on us for millenia, with the Truth preserved quietly by a remnant. Always the underdog, always a very distant second.

But the Lie has lived in unprecedented luxury over the last twenty or so years. It has grown flabby and overconfident. To be sure, it has caused historic devastation, sowing hatred and bewilderment and despair in the minds and souls of the western world. But the Lie has grown drunk and complacent, utterly assured of the finish line within its sight. And this is where the Truth of God has always done its best work.

Followers of Christ, now is our chance.

The Truth has got its pants on. It is in hot pursuit. It sees the sweaty, odious mass of the Lie, passed out on the floor with Dorito crumbs on its chest and an empty bottle of Johnny Walker Red Label laying beside it.

Now is our opportunity to assassinate that Lie.

Do you have any idea how easily the world's weapons could be sabotaged by God's people? How absurdly simple it would be to make the Truth known, if we could just organize, get on the offensive, and infiltrate?

I don't know precisely how to make this happen. I am a very lonely soul. But I do know that Google, a sworn enemy of Christ, openly reveals that one in seven Christians face significant persecution for their faith. They tell me that the Bible is the world's best-selling book. They tell me that the most crucial, pioneering minds of science were Christians and devout theists. I found all of these facts just now, in a matter of minutes.

Furthermore, I write all of these blurbs in Google Docs. The same system which is trying to destroy Christianity, keeps my statements safe, private, and easily accessible wherever I go.

Do you see where I'm going with this? The very rules of the system which is oppressing God's people, has forced it to give us an arsenal of weapons the like of which Isaiah and Jeremiah could not have dreamt of. Google has been an absolutely crucial weapon for me, from giving me weapons of rebellion to directions to a local church.

There is SO MUCH HOPE. The unsaved of this generation would make Christian soldiers unprecedented in history. All we have to do is get their focus off of Instagram and Tiktok and get them asking the right questions.

I do not know exactly how to go about doing this. But again, I am only one man. I know as well as anybody the devastating power of a few good minds bouncing ideas off of each other.

Shall we meet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 15, 2016
There has never been a stranger time to be a Christian. The world has never had so much power and, if we are honest with ourselves, it has never been so difficult even to see the borders of the world and the Spirit. How postmodern.

You're looking at the past, I think, through rose-colored glasses. It has always been tough to be a true Christian, I think.

But this piece really made me think. Thank for that. Keep writing, brother.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
Interesting and thought-provoking piece, Matt. We each have a calling to reach our sphere of the world with God's message. I don't know how easy it might be to do so collectively. I guess if we each acted in fuller obedience to God's Word, we may have a greater effect, thereby being a more collective effect. If any of that makes sense.

May 29, 2018
if we each acted in fuller obedience to God's Word, we may have a greater effect, thereby being a more collective effect.

Obedience to God's word is very important to our relationship with God and with other of His children. God's Word will guide us through these times of tumult. Part of obedience is listening to what He says in response to our prayers.

Recent Discussions