Where to get Stock Cover Illustration

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
Just as an example; in a work in progress book, it is about tower climbers, which also are the ones crazy enough to change the lights on bridges, transmission towers and smoke stacks. So, I wanted a picture of a couple standing on top of a bridge kissing.

That is a tough photo to find

So I dig out my drone, fly it to the top of a bridge, then take use a program to get a picture from the video footage. Then I get a stock photo of a couple standing and kissing. Then I take another program and crop the drone video/picture, add in a more dramatic sky, and paste in the couple kissing. Then I use that rendered picture in another program to make the final cover.

It’s a lot granted, but in the end I get the exact dramatic book cover photo that I am looking for. It takes time, but also a break from writing too

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
When it comes to being creative, I am a writer not an illustrator. When I was looking to create a cover illustration, for my suspense novel "A Gatored Community", which I wrote with a co-author named Andalib Marx, I went to google images; and I wasn't being fussy.
Here's what I came up with. What do any of you think?

View attachment 3426
One thing I do for my book covers is borrow a technique from movie posters and that is keep my tag lines to only 6 words.

That can be a real challenge but for whatever reason that is something they do

I am not sure how important the six word tagline tule is, but that is what I abide with. I am in no way though saying others should do that. Just something I read and have always done

I would be interested what others think

William D'Andrea

Mar 6, 2017
If you'd like to know what we think, I suggest that you post a copy of one or more of your own books covers, just like I did.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
Then I get a stock photo of a couple standing and kissing. Then I take another program and crop the drone video/picture, add in a more dramatic sky, and paste in the couple kissing. Then I use that rendered picture in another program to make the final cover
Are you checking to make sure the couple image is free to use for book covers?

William D'Andrea

Mar 6, 2017
Are you checking to make sure the couple image is free to use for book covers?
I'm really not sure. I originally wrote and self published the book back in 2011. It's hard to remember all the thoughts that were flashing through my mind, or exactly what website I found the picture, 11 years ago. The book is available on Amazon/Kindle. I don't know if anybody's bought any copies.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
Ahh! I see.The cover needs a little punching up. Something is missing to grab a buyer's attention You can always do a new cover and change it.

William D'Andrea

Mar 6, 2017
Hello Lynn:
I just checked through google images, and found the picture. It comes with the following comments:
xxxxxxxxxxxx
You are free:
  • to share – to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix – to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
Yes, I just shared that with you on the other thread where I moved your image. But you still have to check on it. Selling books is another matter.

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
The best bet is to buy the images or to make them yourself

Really the latter is the best as there is no question that it is yours

It also sets a writer up with another skill set which can be photography. A person can use simple software to make a photo into an illustration

William D'Andrea

Mar 6, 2017
"...buy the images?" That would be too much for me. I am a retired man, living on Social Security and Snap payments. Right now, until I get my next payments, I'm being very careful. I can afford all the food I'll need, but I'm having to delay the purchase of over the counter medications and nutritional supplements.
I have no idea how much purchasing any image would cost.
I've been going through a very difficult time, with too many problems. I'm just asking for everyone to continue praying for the Lord to grant Grace, Mercy and Peace to me, his faithful but stumbling servant, who's lost in the wilderness. In Jesus Name. Amen.

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
Stock images are not that much; less than $5 per image, and really how many novels are written per year? I have got 9 novels written over two years which equates to about $25 per year, and that is assuming I don’t take my own photos for some of them.

But I do know what you are saying with times being tough. I have had my difficult times too, so I do empathize with you William

What I say here has validity I think, but keep in mind too 99 percent of people reading forums never join in. They should know that stock images are cheaper, and wayyyyyyyyy cheaper than a lawsuit

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
I love doing book covers though.

It is the first thing I start with because the back cover blurb forces me to really hone in on the key parts of the book, yet gives me freedom on how to end the book since that is never revealed.

Then I end the novel by doing the cover. What fun: trying to derive a photo that captures 85,000 words by one simple picture

Then, do I emboss or deboss what words? What 6 word tag line should I use? What of the four graphic art styles does my arranged cover have, or what must I do to conform my cover to one of them?

It’s a break from writing the book block, but just as creative and fun!