What do you think of my cover?

William D'Andrea

Mar 6, 2017
When it comes to being creative, I am a writer not an illustrator. When I was looking to create a cover illustration, for my suspense novel "A Gatored Community", which I wrote with a co-author named Andalib Marx, I went to google images; and I wasn't being fussy.
Here's what I came up with. What do any of you think?

1653339363567.png

Last edited:

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
William, I moved this so it's on its own. I think the image fits. However, I'm concerned about where you found it. Googling and finding an image does not mean it's free to use. I did check on it and it came from Wikimedia. The images are free. However, you need to check to make sure it's free for selling books.

Two other things. The names should be moved down some, while the title should be moved up some. This is a nice cover, William.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
I looked at the image again and found that it was originally on flickr. It says you may use it...

Under the following conditions:
  • attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use
I didn't see anything about using for books so you'd have to check on it.

Wes B

Mostly Harmless
Jul 28, 2019
You might try to shorten the cover description, just a tad. Something like, Thieves and environmental terrorists take on a pearl farm and its pet alligator.

Grey_Skies

Struggling writer hoping to make dreams come true
Dec 27, 2020
It's a nice cover, William, and I think it fits, from what I know of your story, but even before Wes mentioned it, I was also thinking your subtitle should definitely be shortened.

Jeff Potts

Apr 5, 2019
When it comes to being creative, I am a writer not an illustrator. When I was looking to create a cover illustration, for my suspense novel "A Gatored Community", which I wrote with a co-author named Andalib Marx, I went to google images; and I wasn't being fussy.

View attachment 3426

It's too busy.

Make the (forest green) section thinner, get rid of the white banner on top, and overly the title on the photo.

That being said, conceptually, I like it.

William D'Andrea

Mar 6, 2017
How about this?

sitb-sticker-v3-small._CB485933792_.png

413Q33EogmL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

M. D. Boncher

Dec 9, 2021
I love the title. That's fun right there. Fonts are solid, but I'd make the border boxes black with white text to go with the trees and the menace of the concept. As for the blurb, I'd put it on the back cover, or find a way to make that a short single sentence like "Beware of teeth", "Not all security calls 911", or "Danger! Trespassers will be eaten!"

Something along those lines.

Accord64

Write well, edit often.
Oct 8, 2012

Sorry, but NOPE.

I'd recommend sticking with one picture for the entire cover (instead of breaking it into four sections). Make sure the picture has enough room at the top and bottom for a title and by-lines. Not sure I'd go with the subtitle, or at the very least shorten it up. Always best to choose a picture from a reputable stock photography site (like Shutterstock), so you're certain it's properly licensed.

Also make sure the photo has a direct (and obvious) tie-in to your book.

I'd also recommend that you look at other book covers in your genre to get a feel for what graphic design styles are used. That should help you select an effective picture (and font) for your cover.

paulchernoch

May 19, 2005
I would make the title font Heavier (wider letters).

The green box around the author names does not complement the reds and blacks of the Picture. I would play around with other green hues, or go with a dark red.

The image itself is eye catching and mysterious.

I agree that the cover description is too long. However it is a great log line for use in other contexts, like the back cover of a paperback or a hook in a book proposal.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
William, since you've introduced a second image, you'll get mixed responses. Do you want me to move the second one on its own? I do have a question: why does it say copyrighted material at the top and the bottom of #2?

William D'Andrea

Mar 6, 2017
Hello Lynn:
Please don't move the second one, to avoid making thing more complicated. I'm not sure why it says copyrighted material. It's been several years since I published it. I'll have to check things out myself.

Recent Discussions