What Christian fiction books have you enjoyed?

Jan 5, 2021
I don't mean books like The Chronicles of Narnia where people question if/or in what way it's Christian, but those with an overt theme, storyline, message, etc.

Edited to ask: For those who don't read this type of Christian fiction, what are your reasons?

Last edited:

Zee

Mar 1, 2019
I’ve enjoyed several of Michael O’Brien’s books. Most of them are tomes, but worth it.

Fyodor Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov is a classic piece of Christian fiction, and one of my all-time favorites.

For less “big name” examples, check out Kate le Roux and Vance Kessler.

Several of the writers on this site have written/published fine Christian fiction as well, @Shamrock, @suspensewriter, @HK1, among others (including myself.)

What style/genre are you looking for?

Jan 5, 2021
I’ve enjoyed several of Michael O’Brien’s books. Most of them are tomes, but worth it.

Fyodor Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov is a classic piece of Christian fiction, and one of my all-time favorites.

For less “big name” examples, check out Kate le Roux and Vance Kessler.

Several of the writers on this site have written/published fine Christian fiction as well, @Shamrock, @suspensewriter, @HK1, among others (including myself.)

What style/genre are you looking for?
Oh, cool. I didn't realize several writers on this site had published overt Christian fiction. Is that self or traditionally published?

I do like realistic fiction, but I'm game for all genres aside from horror 👀.

Reactions: HK1

Grey_Skies

Struggling writer hoping to make dreams come true
Dec 27, 2020
Right now, I'm reading "Castles in the Sand" by Carolyn A. Greene. My dad unexpectedly sent it to me in the mail, and I am pleasantly surprised by how well written it is. It's a novel, yet disturbingly informative about the things that are really going on in the so-called "Christian" colleges of today.

Jan 5, 2021
Right now, I'm reading "Castles in the Sand" by Carolyn A. Greene. My dad unexpectedly sent it to me in the mail, and I am pleasantly surprised by how well written it is. It's a novel, yet disturbingly informative about the things that are really going on in the so-called "Christian" colleges of today.
I'm quite interested to know why you were surprised at it being well-written?

May 28, 2019
thank you Zee for your kind words.

Most of my writing is still unpublished but has been beta read by members here (thank you guys). A few shorts have been published in print and online.
But like Zee says, there is a huge amount of talent in this group.

May 28, 2019
you may have noticed I have change my profile picture.
The last one was of my previous dog, Banjo. This one is of Floss, my 4 yr lab-springer X, when she was a pup.

Grey_Skies

Struggling writer hoping to make dreams come true
Dec 27, 2020
I'm quite interested to know why you were surprised at it being well-written?
Mostly because I wasn't sure what to expect in a book where the main purpose was to communicate information about things going on in Christian colleges. That, and it came from a small, Christian publishing company. So I wasn't sure where it would be at in terms of actual quality in the writing style.

Jan 5, 2021
That's very interesting. Thanks for your insight. This is why I'm slightly put-off from wanting to write Christian fiction. Sadly, it's confirming that this is the opinion of most, including myself. Bah!

Celebrianne

Oct 20, 2011
I've reread This Present Darkness by Peretti since developing my own writing skills and still find it a well-developed story. It's how I drive home the power of prayer with my kids when they're ready.
The first three books of the Chronicles of Anthropos by John White have been a part of my life since I was young. He's enough like Narnia to feed that same longing for a fantastic adventure, but his worlds and characters are his own and highly imaginative. Wish he had stopped after the first three because the ones he did years later aren't anything like the caliber of the first: The Tower of Geborrah, The Iron Sceptre, and The Sword Bearer (all out of print). Some of my family's favorite ways to picture what Jesus is really like come from those stories.

May 24, 2017
I am enjoying Ella Walker Henderson. It isn't overt Christian themed. I read mostly up and coming authors, like those on this site! We all have our ways of presenting Jesus and His message to the world.
My Leoshine series is pretty overt. There are crosses on the cover. God speaks and the characters worship, read God's word, and encourage each other in His way. I believe it is a good story that a non believer could read and enjoy because I don't use churchy language.

Oct 2, 2022
I've really been enjoying novels by D.I. Telbat and Adam Blumer lately. Most of you have probably never heard of them since they aren't popular, but I'd highly advise you to check them out. They are some of the GREATEST!!! They only write Christian fiction, but they don't use cliches or any stuff people hate about Christian novels. The storylines are great too, and I always wonder why they aren't more popular.

Jan 5, 2021
I just looked up D. I. Telbat and Adam Blumer. Both their bios, etc. seem pretty interesting. They seem to be self-published, so it's not surprising they aren't popular because no one's heard of them. Until now, that is. 😉

Jan 5, 2021
My Leoshine series is pretty overt. There are crosses on the cover. God speaks and the characters worship, read God's word, and encourage each other in His way. I believe it is a good story that a non believer could read and enjoy because I don't use churchy language.
Yes, of course we have our own way of presenting Jesus and his message to the world, but I was specifically asking about overt Christian themes, etc. I like that your Leoshine series is pretty overt. How is it being received?

Jan 5, 2021
I've reread This Present Darkness by Peretti since developing my own writing skills and still find it a well-developed story. It's how I drive home the power of prayer with my kids when they're ready.
Okay. I have yet to read Peretti. Maybe one of these days I'll pull the books out of a box and dust them off. 🙂

Oct 2, 2022
I just looked up D. I. Telbat and Adam Blumer. Both their bios, etc. seem pretty interesting. They seem to be self-published, so it's not surprising they aren't popular because no one's heard of them. Until now, that is. 😉
Awesome! Yeah, they are really great authors. And yes, they are self-published. I guess if you don't go through a publisher, it's a lot harder to get your books out there where everyone can see them. Until now, lol. I hope you try one of their novels. If you're reading D. I. Telbat, I'd suggest you start with the COIL series. All of his series continue off of each other, most of them anyways, so it's best to start with that one.

Recent Discussions