General Discussion We are made in His image

zx1ninja

They call me Z.
Mar 17, 2017
This came up in discussion and my brother asked, who or what is God. The answer is Love.

Then he asked me what that looks like. Of course that's kindness, caring etc.

So then he asked what that looks like? And if we're made in His image, what does that look like?

Just an interesting thought I thought I'd share and see what the group thinks 🤔

Aug 10, 2013
I think that's a question people have pondered for a long time. Does it mean that God has two arms, two legs, a head, etc.? Does it mean that God does good things and bad things? And many other questions.

And how does that relate to what Jesus tells Philip, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.11Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves." (John 14:9-11)

zx1ninja

They call me Z.
Mar 17, 2017
On top of that, the bible says that Jesus is God in the flesh. We appear to look like Jesus in the flesh, whom is God. Still,interesting thought.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
God is a spirit being. He is a parent. And this is the image we are made in. Parents love their children. Give of themselves to them. Sacrifice for them. Discipline their children. Train and teach their children. Give gifts to their children. Spend time with their children. Forgive them when they’ve been bad. Comfort them when they hurt. Help them when they need it. Guide and direct their children. Tell them no occasionally. And this is God. And much more. :love:

Rebecca

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2017
And if we're made in His image, what does that look like?
Only humans create literature, music, complex inventions and machinery, paint masterpieces, design and decorate dwellings, clothing, jewelry, or any number of creative endeavors. No other creature can compare in that way.

God is amazingly and infinitely creative. I believe being made in His image means He gifted us with a small spark of His creativity. :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022
This came up in discussion and my brother asked, who or what is God. The answer is Love.

So then he asked what that looks like? And if we're made in His image, what does that look like?

I've always depended on John4:24 which defines God: "God is Spirit and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." He was invisible to Adam & Eve but he had and has character which he emanates to his creation and love is one of them. He also emanates righteousness and other fine attributes. We are "in His image" due to the knowledge of good and evil." However, we fail constantly in the execution of its principles ultimately due to a disobedient nature toward God. Man's skill in application of good & evil is flawed and leads to death. Our use of free will leaves outside of the being in God's will. Being good has value but not enough to get eternal life.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022
I think that's a question people have pondered for a long time. Does it mean that God has two arms, two legs, a head, etc.? Does it mean that God does good things and bad things? And many other questions.

And how does that relate to what Jesus tells Philip, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.11Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves." (John 14:9-11)
The Spirit took earthly form in the person of Christ. Marynthe mother of Jesus and scripture says he was born of the Spirit!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021

It's not His visible "looks like" image, or we'd all look the same. I wrote a short essay on being in His image, years ago. It's quite an interesting topic to pursue!

Recent Discussions