Thoughts on domain name

Claire Tucker

Copyeditor and Proofreader
Jan 26, 2018
Hey, everyone. I hope you are all having a fantastic week.

So I'm looking at setting up a website for my writing at some point next year, which means I am considering what domain name to use. Someone has already bought clairetucker.com, so that's not an option for me 😞. Right now, I'm tending toward keeping it simple and buying the domain clairetuckerwriter.com.

Your thoughts? Any other ideas?

May 28, 2019
Is the website for you as a writer for promoting a specific book? If a book then use the title of the book, otherwise your suggested alternative should work fine - it is easy to remember which is good.

Wes B

Mostly Harmless
Jul 28, 2019
Since you're both writing, and providing services to other writers, you might consider multiple domain names, even though it will be costly. Also, a domain name that's available today might not be available in six months, so you'll have to guess how long it's safe to wait.

II expect that a URL that contains our name might be useful someday, though maybe not so much until we've established that name. Still, many of us might want to grab the name, while it's available. (Depends on the name, of course. Your name is straightforward spelling, so it's fine. My last name is curious enough that people can't even write it down correctly when I spell it out for them... no chance that they'd type it right as a URL...)

Aug 10, 2013
Considering Wes B's information, I searched for some more generic domain names. It appears that "writing and editing" and "writer and editor" are not being used. Maybe something like "Claire writer and editor"? Or you do audio books too, if I remember correctly. "writer and writer services" seems to be open.

My mentor suggested also buying the .net version of whatever name you pick.

Claire Tucker

Jan 26, 2018
Is the website for you as a writer for promoting a specific book? If a book then use the title of the book, otherwise your suggested alternative should work fine - it is easy to remember which is good.
So it would be for my writing in general, not for a specific book. Thank you for your input!
Since you're both writing, and providing services to other writers, you might consider multiple domain names, even though it will be costly. Also, a domain name that's available today might not be available in six months, so you'll have to guess how long it's safe to wait.
Yeah, that's kinda my feeling. I considered combining my writing and editing into one website last year when I was getting ready to launch my editing business, but then realized that they were two different audiences, so it made more sense to separate the two. So I already have editwithclaire.com (for my editing) and am just trying to peg something down for writing. Thank you for your thoughts!
My mentor suggested also buying the .net version of whatever name you pick.
This is probably some really good advice. Thanks for sharing it!

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
I typed in clairetucker.com and it's up for sale. Though it's probably hundreds of dollars. Please don't ever set up a site for just one book. That's extra expense and doesn't make sense. You can do it as part of your site. I think clairetuckerwriter is great. Sounds the best to me. Unless...you will at any point use an initial between claire and tucker. Just my thoughts. ;)

Dec 1, 2021
I agree with your choice for a domain name. I've seen a few writers with common names go the route of adding writer at the end for their site name.

Sep 6, 2020
Of course you could go another way and choose something less common,

clairetucker.online

clairetucker.site

clairetucker.page

clairetucker.info

clairetucker.me

Last edited:

Johne

Staff member
Sep 27, 2005
Hey, everyone. I hope you are all having a fantastic week.

So I'm looking at setting up a website for my writing at some point next year, which means I am considering what domain name to use. Someone has already bought clairetucker.com, so that's not an option for me 😞. Right now, I'm tending toward keeping it simple and buying the domain clairetuckerwriter.com.

Your thoughts? Any other ideas?
What about clairetuckerwrites.com

Claire Tucker

Jan 26, 2018
I typed in clairetucker.com and it's up for sale.
I saw that as well. I feel like that might be someone who's bought the domain with the intent of making money selling it at some point, which activates my stubborn streak 😅.Thank you for your input!
I agree with your choice for a domain name. I've seen a few writers with common names go the route of adding writer at the end for their site name.
Thank you for your input! I appreciate it.
Of course you could go another way and choose something less common
I had actually considered the clairetucker.me option, but am a little worried that people might not find the site as it isn't a .com.
What about clairetuckerwrites.com
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sep 6, 2020
I had actually considered the clairetucker.me option, but am a little worried that people might not find the site as it isn't a .com.
When people search for claire tucker it should come up as a google result, but the main thing is that you put it on any marketing material, social media or website just like anyone would do with a .com. Once the website is up, you can request google to 'webcrawl' the site so that it will gets into google search sooner than later
I typed in clairetucker.com and it's up for sale
This happened to a business I work for, the people who currently owned the domain wanted $8,000 for it. Selling primary domain names is a huge business that a few people got in early and just snagged a bunch of them to extort those who actually want them and because they pay next to nothing for them, they register them for 3 years recurring. Technically 'domain squatting' is illegal, but it's not like anyone is going to go after them for it because it's a pure digital crime.

From what I found, to buy clairetucker.com now would cost you $2,794.00 + $32.95/yr

Recent Discussions