Christian Writing Question about colorblindness

Sarah Daffy

Spider-Woman
Feb 17, 2019
Does anyone on here know anything about colorblindess? I'm trying to write the POV of a character who's colorblind, but I'm not sure how. Does being colorblind mean you can only see in black and white and gray, or in full color, but with difficulty separating certain colors from others? Thanks in advance. :)

Wes B

Mostly Harmless
Jul 28, 2019
Hi Sarah...
You can download a color blindness simulator to your phone, which will allow you to see the world in the way it's seen in the different types of color blindness. I use CVSimulator, to review things like website pages, to make sure that the color choices don't present unreadable contrasts to anyone.

CVSimulator lets me turn on up to 4 different types of color blondness in a split screen, which might help you more easily compare the different types, in selecting which color blindness type you want your character to experience.

Since you're learning to do animations on the side, this kind of work is also worth running thru a color-selection-check, on your color palette, and your initial artwork, before going too far with it...

Last edited:

Wes B

Mostly Harmless
Jul 28, 2019
OMG, that seems... spooky!
Maybe, perhaps... but then if we want our web pages & artwork to be clear to everybody, we'll have to do more than just hope for the best. This lets us actually see the world thru some other peoples' eyes... possibly the only situation where we can. Then we can communicate more effectively: probably everyone's hope...

Ky_GirlatHeart

Taco or Pickle. Pick one.
Jul 25, 2020
Hm...I shall try to recall what I learned in biology class. *pulls up my Quizlet notes*
*discovers that I was not much help in my notes and has to rack her brain and the Internet...the Internet to make sure she's doing it right*

Colorblindness is a sex-linked disorder, meaning that it is caused only if the genetic trait is passed onto the child from both parents on the X chromosome. Both parents have to carry the gene for colorblindness in order for their child to have it. For instance, we will call the letter for colorblindness c. If the child is a girl (XX), she has to have c on both X chromosomes to be colorblind; but if the child is a boy (XY), the c only needs to be on the X chromosome for him to be colorblind. Hence, it's prominent more in males than in females.

Have I confused you? XD

Recent Discussions