ProWritingAid Features

Nov 15, 2022
I have four days to make up my mind to purchase ProWritingAid for $200 (50% off, lifetime license)

I know it does grammar, but it said it has other features. One feature that sounded fun was author comparison. Is that just a hooky feature, or does that have some use.
If you were a sales rep for ProWritingAid, what would you say about it.
I planned to just use Grammarly, but with monthly payment this will be a better deal over time.

May 28, 2019
I use PWA and have done for the past three years.

Here are the features I have found useful when writing/editing.

1. SGP checker. - spelling, grammar and punctuation checker. You need to check it's set to either UK or US English. Whichever is your preference.

2. Sticky Sentences - This tool highlights all sentences that may be too long or hard to read. Usually the problem is grammar. It will give options to choose from or you can edit yourself.

3. Overused Words - helps spot repetition.

4. cliches - again useful to eliminate when editing.

5. All repeats/Echos - another checker for pet words.

6. Thesaurus - good for identify adverbs and adjectives and potential replacements.

7. Style, dialogue and pacing - again useful when editing.

There are some other features. If you go on to YouTube you will find a PWA course which shows you all these and how to use them. I found that after doing it my ability to use the software effectively (and my editing) improved.

Hope that helps.

Sep 6, 2020
I used PWA to check the first draft of my novel. What I liked most was being able to load the entire scrivener project into PWA and make changes directly to the project and it the way it saves records all the instances of changes. For each chapter I checked, I found the basic report is nice and very helpful. I found it giving me an overall score for suggested improvements was great and I got most of my chapters to 88% to 94% of improvements. Anything over 90% turns the score green. For me it checked, spelling, grammar/punctuation, passive voice, style changes where some lines could be written differently so they read better and it would give you suggestions, variable sentence length check, over use of gerunds, consecutive sentences starting with the same words and a check on how many adverbs you were using.

Nov 15, 2022
Well, I purchased the lifetime license, but there is no download link!
If I cannot download it to run on my computer without Internet, I cannot use it.
My internet is very slow and through my phone.
I may be submitting for a refund. :(

Aug 10, 2013
Hmmm. I have a lifetime license, and PWA is on my computer. Ask Johne. He knows everything about such things.

May 28, 2019
I also use when sending emails but downloaded it for working on docs in Word so it should work with and without internet.

Nov 15, 2022
I did some testing. I downloaded and install the software for Office. It requires the Internet. When I disconnect the Internet, the software does not work. It says trouble connecting to the Internet when I try to use it in Office. I guess it has to verify licensing, and it must do some of its calculations on their server.

I just received an email that my StarLink equipment has been set up. It is in staging and ready to be picked up by the carrier. I am just so used to not having reliable Internet I do not purchase software requiring it. I need to get over that.
I have been playing with PWA and it has shown me that I can improve a lot! I have to keep it...

Recent Discussions