Christian Writing Office 21 spell and grammar checking

Nov 15, 2022
For many years I have been using Open Office because it is free. It is a great program. But just recently I purchased Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2021 for my church. It was about $30 from a registered Microsoft Partner online. It is a full license that does not require a subscription.

Since it was such a good deal, I bought myself a copy as well. I was really surprised at the level of grammar checking it has. It is much better than the older version I use at work. 2013. It is not perfect, but it does help with my sermon manuscripts. It will be great when I start writing my novel Jan. 1st. (Lord willing)

Any feedback on Office 21's grammar checking?
Anybody else use it?

Sep 6, 2020
I'd like to know where you got a copy of Microsoft Office Pro Plus for $30 cause that is a steal at that price and it is unlike Microsoft to sell anything that cheap or older than their current version.

Apr 5, 2019
I'm using Office 365 (or whatever it is). It's the subscription service.

I have to admit, its editing suggestions are better than 50 /50. And I can use it on my Android tablet as well as my PC.

paulchernoch

May 19, 2005
I prefer writing prose wit lots of eros, publishing it as is, and endearing the jeers of the octo-grammarians. I yam the center of the universe and my way of riding the definition of parfait.

Nov 15, 2022
I'd like to know where you got a copy of Microsoft Office Pro Plus for $30 cause that is a steal at that price and it is unlike Microsoft to sell anything that cheap or older than their current version.
Do a search for "softkeyworld" I think right now they have a black Friday discount. I caught mine on sale. Normally $39.

Sep 6, 2020
Yeah I thought it might be something like that, although it looks legit, Softkeyworld sell gray-market MS Office licenses. If you wait too long to redeem one, you'll find that Microsoft has revoked it.

Basically "grey market” is when a site sells software keys without getting the permission of the key's publisher.

Sep 6, 2020
Yes, those kind of keys are not legit, that's why they are so cheap. It's not illegal per se but it is unethical that is where the 'grey' comes in. The problem? These sites often sell activation keys that might be acquired with stolen credit card numbers. Others might be populated with activation keys that are either fake or illegitimate. Still another possible consequence is the license key you are sold, belongs to someone already and when they try to go and activate the software, it tells them it is already activated. While I can't be sure about this particular site, I know that similar sites have caused problems for people after purchasing a cheap key, this is because it isn't really a legitimate vendor, so depending on how you pay, you're taking a risk that your payment information could be used again or sold to a third party.

Nov 15, 2022
According to Microsoft "It is either a MSDN or TechNet Product Key. They are genuine Microsoft product keys. They are actually retail licenses, but it is intended for a either the Microsoft Software Developer Network (MSDN) or TechNet for IT Professionals who pay a subscription fee."
Please don't by it based on my post. Sorry.... 😕

Sep 6, 2020
According to Microsoft "It is either a MSDN or TechNet Product Key. They are genuine Microsoft product keys. They are actually retail licenses, but it is intended for a either the Microsoft Software Developer Network (MSDN) or TechNet for IT Professionals who pay a subscription fee."
Yeah, so if that is the case, then MSDN or TechNet keys aren't supposed to be resold and there is no way to know if they were obtained legally

The problem is for the general public, that most people know nothing about software and licences. The only reason I know is because I have worked in IT for 20+ years. These websites make it all sound legit and like you are getting a good deal and most would be none the wiser until they purchase a key and it turns out to be fake or doesn't work because the key has been revoked by the company that owns it.

Ultimately, even though the price for genuine software is higher and may be much harder to afford, buying from a legitimate vendor is safer and more ethical. Waiting for Black Friday, End of Financial Year or Christmas type sales is one way to get a discount

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020
I agree, now I know...
As I said above, it's okay, I'm not saying you did anything wrong, there is no way you should be expected to know this information and it's not like you are going to find out unless you go out specifically looking for this information which these websites certainly aren't going to tell you.

Sep 6, 2020
For those who can't afford the very high price of office, I usually recommend Libre Office, while it is not as good as MS Office, it is free and it can save into the same file formats that MS Office programs use

Recent Discussions