Is it a bad idea to post book ideas?

Nov 15, 2022
I am working my brain to decide on an outline and character to write a novel about.
I have every intention to start J' one. That is unless I can talk myself out of it. I hope not!
Not sure why I have failed at completing a book in the past. I always hit a roadblock and just stop.
It could be fear of failure, but it has to be more complicated that that.
This pattern is spanning over 20 years mind you.
It may have something to do with necessity.
I took a break from writing my sermon manuscript for tomorrow.
I have already written 1,470 words in just a couple of hours, half way there.
You see that is necessary writing.
For the novel, I do have a rough title, subject and character, along with historic and future links in mind.
I am working on ideas for twists and turns next.
Later, back to the grind of love... and necessity.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
Sometimes, after writing intensely on a project, a writer's block will hit. And then, you step away from for a short time. Do something else. And most of the time, the block will disappear. New idea/s will appear. So all that is normal. You also have to consider your personality. Do you stop working on other projects as well? Necessity writing can't be stopped for too long, of course. So maybe you need to give yourself a good talking to. And ask yourself how truly do you want to write a book? Also, getting the help of others here will keep you on track. ;)

Nov 15, 2022
...Do you stop working on other projects as well? Necessity writing can't be stopped for too long, of course. So maybe you need to give yourself a good talking to. And ask yourself how truly do you want to write a book? Also, getting the help of others here will keep you on track. ;)
Message finished. 3,073 words in under 5 hours. I was trying to keep it at 2,500. I will read over it tonight before printing. Normally it gets longer not shorter, but I will try to shorten it.

You are very perceptive. I have always joked that "I am not a finish carpenter. I am a start carpenter, because I can start any wood project, but not necessarily finish them."
You point out what I am all too aware of. It is a hill I must climb if I want to get to the other side.
Maybe hearing it from someone else will stoke the fire in me, maybe. There is a fire!
I have been giving myself a talking to, but I pay no attention to him, LOL.
I am here for inspiration and motivation I hope to catch from others.
I hope I have resolved to just do it. I will know by the end of February.
I need to finish it, even if it is horrible...

Aug 10, 2013
Just keep slogging, putting words on paper (screen). You can't fix what you don't write, and fixing is where the real writing begins. You put words down, and then you go back and make them say what you want them to say.

Apr 5, 2019
I have no idea how the title of this thread and the body of the original post are connected. But, to cover all the bases here...

Is it a bad idea to post book ideas? The answer is a qualified "yes." If you were to provide a book idea to me that involves a romance plot, there would be no way I'd want to use that in my works. However, throw in swords and monsters and it is a different ballgame.

Not that I'd steal anyone's ideas. But, as a general rule, only discuss ideas with people you know you can trust.

As for why you stop writing a book, this comes down to a matter of persistence, consistency, and - yes - fear.

It's not hard to write a story. You need a place where you begin, where you end, and a bunch of stuff that happens in the middle - this is how I figure out my stories. The rest is merely details. I've heard Stephen King's advice about "just write," but I'm not 100% on board with that. I write when I have a clear objective: the character starts at point A, gets to point B when something happens, and ends up at C. Even with that, I have instances where the details in between are not solid enough to constitute a book (like the precursor to THE REVENANT AND THE TOMB). Those things get abandoned.

I had - and still have - a bunch of ideas before I started writing THE REVENANT AND THE TOMB. I have completed manuscripts that I wrote prior to THE REVENANT AND THE TOMB just waiting to be reworked and released. Even now, as THE WIZARD'S STONE is getting ready for release, I'm juggling three different new ideas, one of them being (in my humble opinion) stellar. I have more ideas than I can get down on paper. I have no problem writing books and stories.

Am I unique or unusual? Nope.

What's the difference between someone like me, and someone who starts and abandons works? Very simple: fear. No one will ever admit that openly.

Once you commit to a work, you're now DEDICATED to finishing it. The minute a roadblock comes along, it's just much easier to walk away and say, "I'll get back to it later." I know this all too well. I did that 22 years ago. And I did it out of fear. The fear of failure. The fear of being recognized as a no-talent wannabe writer. Even right now, as I'm getting ready to copyright THE WIZARD'S STONE - something that has taken me, off and on, about two years to complete - I'm fearful I'm going to fall flat on my face. THE REVENANT AND THE TOMB set expectations that I may not be able to meet this time around. Or maybe I'll exceed them. I don't know.

That's the fear of the unknown.

But, I'm pushing through the fear. Because I've spent decades in a career where I've been flying by the seat of my pants successfully. So I know how to manage fear.

I watch these YouTube videos, and see young authors talking about their "writer's life." They make it sound so idealized and - pardon the expression - sexy. It's not. It's you spending a year building something with ZERO guarantees as to how it will be received. It's months spent revising, changing, re-reading, and wondering if what you spent a year developing is good, or pigeon porch droppings.

Because behind every dream that you'll be an overnight sensation - lightning in a bottle - there is that nagging little voice, that instinct, that's telling you you're going to fail and fail big. Thus, you procrastinate. And you'd probably be right to do so.

So...I hope that helps.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
I meant to say that I don't think anyone hear would steal an idea. We've had others bat around ideas before. However, while no one here would steal your idea, if placed in the writing forum, visitors can see it. So, if you would like to discuss an idea, I would suggest you place it in the critique forum. Visitors cannot view the critique forum.

Oct 15, 2022
I meant to say that I don't think anyone hear would steal an idea. We've had others bat around ideas before. However, while no one here would steal your idea, if placed in the writing forum, visitors can see it. So, if you would like to discuss an idea, I would suggest you place it in the critique forum. Visitors cannot view the critique forum.
After reading @Jeff Potts reply and yours, I'm begging to wonder if I should delete my invite for a sci-fi co-author post.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
I'm sorry I frightened you, HW. To my knowledge, no idea shared on this site has even been stolen. I will take it down if you like. Let me know.

Apr 5, 2019
THE TOPIC WAS STOLEN!!!

:D

To clarify my previous statements, I don't think anyone here would steal an idea.

As I mentioned in Zee's interview, I don't think I'm writing anything unique. And I'm fairly sure that if I consulted with people here - and I have in the past - I wouldn't see my idea in print by a different author.

That being said, none of you know any of the details of THE WIZARD'S STONE, and that's by design. It's always good to keep your cards close to your chest, if not to avoid errantly providing spoilers.

Recent Discussions