Christian Writing How many times

zx1ninja

They call me Z.
Mar 17, 2017
Anyone have an idea how many times death is referenced as sleep in the Bible?

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
It's hard to tell because the same word can be used for regular sleep or for dying. In the OT, there are over 200 uses of just one word for sleep. Sooo...I don't think I'll be going through them all. :D ;)

zx1ninja

They call me Z.
Mar 17, 2017
Well, I mean as in asleep in death. But that's why I asked. Saw to much variation in numbers.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah, the same word can be used of sleep or death. And there's more than one word for both. Would take awhile to look them all up. 😊

May 24, 2017
I'd say that was mostly a Pauline saying for his times, but that may be too narrow. Concentrate on Paul, though.
If you use a reference bible, one verse leads to another.
There is a false doctrine that has to do with death as sleep. It is more about doing nothing or being put in stasis after death until Jesus comes again. Personally, I'm going to be gardening in heaven. Maybe painting butterflies too! No sleep for me!

Aug 10, 2013
I can't imagine my mother lying around sleeping in heaven, but she often said, "If the word 'Hurry' exists in heaven, I'm not going there." I don't think she needed to worry, because heaven is eternity, so "early" and "late" and "hurry" shouldn't be part of anyone's vocabulary.

Recent Discussions