Christian Writing First draft on paper or computer? Which do you prefer?

Oct 2, 2022
A good tool should release your creativity. For some, it's an ink pen with a nib on good paper. For me, it's Scrivener and Notion and a really responsive keyboard. (I write on a Logitech hybrid gaming keyboard with Romer GX Red switches that are a kind of a mechanical switch that feels like a membrane switch. The result is a smooth, fluid keystroke using Linear actuation which is great for double-tapping, rapid keystrokes in succession, and uninterrupted half-presses.)

I changed my OS from Windows 10 to MacOS because Scrivener 3 is most powerful and gets the earliest updates on the native Mac side. Plus, once I began using the latest MacOS on the latest 16" MacBook Pro, I was having so much fun that I only turn on my Windows gaming tower for gaming with friends. I do everything else on the Mac side.

Because I like my keyboard and mouse and webcam so much, I use a KVM switch to easily switch over between Windows and Mac, and use both with my dual monitors so I don't have to keep changing peripherals.

By the time I add in my iPad Pro, I have a system with great flexibility and power that's easy to use and helps make writing a lot of fun. (Which is key, as I spend a great deal of time writing. Now that I've kind of figured out what I'm doing, I'm trying to get as much written as fast as I can.)
Gee! You sure have a lot of equipment. That must be expensive. I really like your setup. I take it you are into gaming? I love video games, though I haven't had much time to play lately, with college and all that. If I had the money, I would make a setup just like yours. Dual monitors and all. Maybe when I'm a millionaire, LOL.

Johne

Staff member
Sep 27, 2005
Gee! You sure have a lot of equipment. That must be expensive.
I've acquired a lot of nice tech a piece at a time. It's not so bad spaced out, a little here, a little there. And being able to share common peripherals really increases the utility.

I really like your setup. I take it you are into gaming?
Thanks! Yeah, I've been a PC gamer since before Windows using MS-DOS. We're in a golden age with powerful processors, blazing fast internet, gigantic screens, and decent games. I don't game as much as I used to, which just tells you that I should have been writing more back then, heh. Now it's a nice way to clear my head with long-time gaming friends after a long writing session.

My kids are all grown and gone, and Linda goes to bed early to get up early for work. I write from 6 or 7 until 10 pm and then either watch something or play something until midnight while the house is quiet and dark. I love my life right now. ;)

Oct 2, 2022
I've acquired a lot of nice tech a piece at a time. It's not so bad spaced out, a little here, a little there. And being able to share common peripherals really increases the utility.

Thanks! Yeah, I've been a PC gamer since before Windows using MS-DOS. We're in a golden age with powerful processors, blazing fast internet, gigantic screens, and decent games. I don't game as much as I used to, which just tells you that I should have been writing more back then, heh. Now it's a nice way to clear my head with long-time gaming friends after a long writing session.

My kids are all grown and gone, and Linda goes to bed early to get up early for work. I write from 6 or 7 until 10 pm and then either watch something or play something until midnight while the house is quiet and dark. I love my life right now. ;)
Sounds nice.

I usually go to bed by eleven, that way I can wake up for school and not be completely exhausted. I usually write before bed, when the house is quiet cause my family has gone to sleep already. That's the best time to do it, in my opinion.

Jan 13, 2019
I write nonfiction and since I'm a creative type, I usually write thoughts out on paper. It's just the way thoughts flow. Then I put it on my computer. But there are times when I just hack away at the keyboard. ;)
I keep notebooks in my car, truck, by my reading chair and in my carry on luggage for when I`m traveling. Every couple of months I tear out the pages of thougts and ideas that I wrote down and put them in there assigned piles for me to sort thru later. I sometimes get so consumed with a story plot that I will fill out a entire notebook then pitch the whole thing into the garbage just to get it out of my head.
It seems to work because I haven't been commited into a mental ward....yet.

Oct 2, 2022
I keep notebooks in my car, truck, by my reading chair and in my carry on luggage for when I`m traveling. Every couple of months I tear out the pages of thougts and ideas that I wrote down and put them in there assigned piles for me to sort thru later. I sometimes get so consumed with a story plot that I will fill out a entire notebook then pitch the whole thing into the garbage just to get it out of my head.
It seems to work because I haven't been commited into a mental ward....yet.
Yet? Lol! I hope you never do, Beachwalker. I hear you should always carry a notebook around, that way you can jot down ideas, but I've never done it. Maybe I should start...

Ky_GirlatHeart

Taco or Pickle. Pick one.
Jul 25, 2020
I used to write my stories by hand when I was a kid, but I started writing them on my laptop when I finally got my own laptop! Writing them by hand and then typing them up into the laptop is just too time-consuming for me. So I prefer the computer.

Oct 2, 2022
I used to write my stories by hand when I was a kid, but I started writing them on my laptop when I finally got my own laptop! Writing them by hand and then typing them up into the laptop is just too time-consuming for me. So I prefer the computer.
It definitely takes a lot more time to write by hand. I think a normal story will take twice as long to write by hand than computer. I like writing like that for that reason though, lol. I like to slow down. My WPM on a computer is 75-80, and I really need to focus on what I'm writing, that's why I use paper. I see your point though, and if you can focus perfectly when you're typing, may as well save time.

Oct 2, 2022
Yes, it is. It translates beautifully!
Okay! I figured as much. There's another author I'm sure you've heard of: Frank Peretti. He has carpultunnel now, so he uses text-to-speech to write his novels as well. That's super cool. Maybe someday, when I have carpultunnel from so much typing and playing piano, I'll start using it, lol. It seems super cool, though. What are your reasons for using it, if you don't mind me asking?

Jul 15, 2016
I had a stroke about 4 years ago, and I forgot how to speak, how to think, how to type, and even how to write. I recovered over time using Dragon Naturally Speaking. I can type and write now, but I can't put aside my love for speech to text. It's so easy to use!

Oct 2, 2022
I had a stroke about 4 years ago, and I forgot how to speak, how to think, how to type, and even how to write. I recovered over time using Dragon Naturally Speaking. I can type and write now, but I can't put aside my love for speech to text. It's so easy to use!
Wow! I'm so sorry for that. That must've been terrifying. I'm glad you recovered though, and hey, you were already used to Dragon Naturally Speaking, so why not keep on using it? Use whatever makes you the most comfortable, I say. It seems really cool, and it saves you from wearing down your joints, I would think. Thanks for sharing. That's an amazing story, that you recovered and everything. Praise the Lord for that!

Oct 2, 2022
Yes, and I believe it's also Windows-only.

I use an app online and on MacOS that reads my work back to me in the car so I can hear what it sounds like to readers.
I just checked it out, and it is amazing. Especially the Premium and Plus voices. They almost sound like a normal person reading, much better than the typical monotone voices I'm used to in speech software. That is really cool, and I think I'll be using this to have my novels read back to me. Thank you so much for sharing about it.

Ky_GirlatHeart

Taco or Pickle. Pick one.
Jul 25, 2020
t definitely takes a lot more time to write by hand. I think a normal story will take twice as long to write by hand than computer. I like writing like that for that reason though, lol. I like to slow down. My WPM on a computer is 75-80, and I really need to focus on what I'm writing, that's why I use paper. I see your point though, and if you can focus perfectly when you're typing, may as well save time.
Huh, this is proof then that we all function differently! (In good ways, of course. Sometimes interesting. Such as why we have notions to open the lids of grapejuice bottles with power drills. But that wasn't me. That was my honorary little sister. *clears throat* Anyhow.) I've never thought of the aspect of writing as a way to slow down. I think my brain's on a quick rate a lot of times LOL!!
Now that I think about it, I do write my poems down, because that's ... what I do. XD Idea comes, I grab the notebook (literally, any random notebook that I have available half the time XD) and pen, and voila! 😂

Oct 2, 2022
Huh, this is proof then that we all function differently! (In good ways, of course. Sometimes interesting. Such as why we have notions to open the lids of grapejuice bottles with power drills. But that wasn't me. That was my honorary little sister. *clears throat* Anyhow.) I've never thought of the aspect of writing as a way to slow down. I think my brain's on a quick rate a lot of times LOL!!
Now that I think about it, I do write my poems down, because that's ... what I do. XD Idea comes, I grab the notebook (literally, any random notebook that I have available half the time XD) and pen, and voila! 😂
Your little sister tried to open a bottle of grape juice with a power drill? That's hilarious! I've tried doing some dumb things too, lol, like opening a can of corn with a knife. That was a long time ago though, lol. But, yes, I do like to take my writing slowly for the first draft. It helps me out, but I see where you're coming from as well. Our minds work in different ways, I guess. When you say your brain's on a quick rate a lot of times, I'll translate that to mean you're really smart, lol. Obviously, anyone who can write poetry has to be a genius. :D

It is awesome that you write poems. You should post one some time. I'd love to read it. Even better, I'm glad you write them out with pen and paper, lol. That's awesome.

Recent Discussions