Editing courses

May 28, 2019
A friend of mine is thinking of doing an editing course via online. Either a regular group sessions or self-taught.

Can anyone recommend a good course or company to check out?

Reactions: HK1
Oct 2, 2022
Or, you could take the expensive way and go to college for a degree in editorial and journalism like I'm doing. :D

I think Reedsy is a great option. I've checked out the site before and it looks great.

May 28, 2019
Thank you everyone.

There are some great links here. i will pass them on to my friend.

What has interested me is the different approach these editing courses by editing agencies have to others by writing sites and organisations. They seem to come at editing from the writer's perspective - almost a rehash of a writing course then an editing course whereas the professional editing site like PEN and EFA come at from a more objective approach.

Is it possible for a writer to be objective about the writing that they can edit it?

Claire Tucker

Copyeditor and Proofreader
Jan 26, 2018
Is it possible for a writer to be objective about the writing that they can edit it?
This depends on whose writing you're talking about. Part of an editor's power is that they aren't the creator of what they're editing. That reduces the emotional connection to the work (although I do react emotionally to pieces I've edited) and gives us the perspective of "this isn't working" or "this can be better." With my own writing, I can certainly make sure that all the rules of the Chicago Manual of Style are in place and that stuff is spelled correctly. But I'm not necessarily going to see why that particular line at that point isn't working or how it's causing the moment to drag.

I have seen my writing improve because of the editing courses I've taken and from gaining experience editing other writers' work. I've learned to ask "how will this affect or influence the reader?" and "does the reader need to know this?" But I will still hire editors to edit my work before publishing it (or try and go the traditional publishing route so that the publisher can hire said editors), partly because I know I will miss stuff (British spellings do sneak into my work even though I've followed US conventions in every other respect, lol) and partly because I want the firm and objective view of someone else on my work.

May 28, 2019
Thanks Claire. I agree with you.
By the way which course did you do?

May 28, 2019
Thankyou everyone. My friend has gone for the Reedys courses and is looking at the EFA.

I am going through the Reedys free self editing course at the moment. It is written by Pro Write Aid Chief - not unsurprisingly; it is based upon PWA software. But I am finding it helpful in two ways. It is pointing out some of the less obvious things to look for i.e hidden verbs and pronouns. Second, by going back to PWA I am learning now how to make it work more as an editing tool. Usually I just do GPS, Stick Sentences, Cliches, Repetition and leave the rest. Now I know what they are and how they can help, I can do a more thorough self-edit of my work.

Only issues is that the editing process is going to take a long time. 🤣

Aug 10, 2013
And my problem with editing is that I have changed the stories in my first Bible book more times than I can count. Now I have to come up with a new title!

Recent Discussions