Always Included

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
Do other authors always include certain elements in their literary works?

I do a few things, one of course is always having the call to dedicate a readers life to Jesus, or hitting restart after perhaps back-sliding. But there are others.

For whatever reason, I always have curtesy somewhere in my novel. I had a friend who always did a curtesy which on this side of the pond is odd in America. I just always found a place for it in following novels.

Then I always include a cheesy 1980,s movie line somewhere in the novel.

It’s got so now at the end of the book I have a page called “where is it?” Then tell the readers on what page they can find those two things. It’s just kind of a fun “where is Waldo” kind of thing to do for loyal readers.

Does anyone else have always included things in their literary works?

Zee

Mar 1, 2019
Interesting idea...I don’t think I have considered it much. Naturally I’ve got recurring themes and characters, but nothing along the lines of a “hidden picture” puzzle. Maybe next time!

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
One thing I also do is find a quote of scripture about whatever the theme is of a particular novel at the start of my
Novels

Like the one on tower climbing I quoted the story of Jacob dreaming of Jacobs Ladder in the book of genesis.

Ky_GirlatHeart

Taco or Pickle. Pick one.
Jul 25, 2020
Somehow or another, my characters end up learning the value of forgiveness. Probably because that's such a huge lesson I've learned in my own life, but that's how that happens.

And my characters either have one or both parents absent in their lives, whether it's by death or the choice of the parent to leave. (Which has never happened to me praise the Lord, but that theme worms it way into my stories as well.)

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
Somehow or another, my characters end up learning the value of forgiveness. Probably because that's such a huge lesson I've learned in my own life, but that's how that happens.

And my characters either have one or both parents absent in their lives, whether it's by death or the choice of the parent to leave. (Which has never happened to me praise the Lord, but that theme worms it way into my stories as well.)
That is interesting

When people write, a lot of themselves come out, and especially so when it’s repetitive. I wonder if maybe that is one of your worst fear?s?

That may not be the case though, I realize. Just a point to ponder maybe?

Myself, I grew up in a foster home which really shaped who I am. It’s been really good for me because I have no disillusionments about people. Since
My own mother hated me, I don’t expect other family, strangers or coworkers to like me either!! (Ha ha)

It’s been great since the bar has been set really low. No need to try and be likeable; I’m comfortable just being myself.

Johne

Staff member
Sep 27, 2005
Since My own mother hated me...
Tangent:

I highly doubt your mother hated you for being who you were. More likely, she hated something about herself, how she couldn't have freedom, or that her child represented something to her that she hated. It's possible she never even got to know the real you.

Either way, Jesus loves you, and I bet you have staunch friends irl.

No need to try and be likeable; I’m comfortable just being myself.
This is a great feat. Some people never feel entirely comfortable in their own skin.

Ky_GirlatHeart

Jul 25, 2020
That is interesting

When people write, a lot of themselves come out, and especially so when it’s repetitive. I wonder if maybe that is one of your worst fear?s?

That may not be the case though, I realize. Just a point to ponder maybe?

Myself, I grew up in a foster home which really shaped who I am. It’s been really good for me because I have no disillusionments about people. Since
My own mother hated me, I don’t expect other family, strangers or coworkers to like me either!! (Ha ha)

It’s been great since the bar has been set really low. No need to try and be likeable; I’m comfortable just being myself.
Hm...You know, you give me something to think about now. I think most of it comes from having friends and acquaintances who don't have one of their parents in their lives or didn't grow up in the most ideal of homes; so their stories kind of blended into what I write.

I do hope, however, that we can prove different to you. :)

Last edited:

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
Hm...You know, you give me something to think about now. I think most of it comes from having friends and acquaintances who don't have one of their parents in their lives or didn't grow up in the most ideal of homes; so their stories kind of blended into what I write.

I do hope, however, that we can prove different to you. :)
On the last part, thanks but I am rather odd in that. No friends needed!

Just my personality type (sigma male) in that I am a lone wolf in every way. I am very kind and considerate but do not need the validation of anyone really.

I just do my own thing and try and
Keep my morals within the principals of the Bible.

It is a cursed personality too though. Not many people think like I do, so I go through a lot of women who don’t understand me. I laugh now, but have not always done so.

Ky_GirlatHeart

Jul 25, 2020
On the last part, thanks but I am rather odd in that. No friends needed!

Just my personality type (sigma male) in that I am a lone wolf in every way. I am very kind and considerate but do not need the validation of anyone really.

I just do my own thing and try and
Keep my morals within the principals of the Bible.

It is a cursed personality too though. Not many people think like I do, so I go through a lot of women who don’t understand me. I laugh now, but have not always done so.
Huh, yeah, definitely a personality thing. :D I wonder what your MTBI would be then?

Recent Discussions