Christian Writing Advice for being bored with story

Jul 14, 2021
Silly question:

I've been trying to revise and edit my story, but it's boring me so badly, and I'm not sure why. It's not the normal editing grind; it's like something is off, and I can't make myself bother with the manuscript until I solve it. I attempted to place my finger on it for a while, but I'm not sure.

😅 Any advice?

Oct 2, 2022
I agree with you lynnmosher. I actually did that with one of my novels I was getting frustrated with and when i came back to it, I saw everything with new clarity. In the meantime, while letting your novel rest, why not write a short story or even start planning for another novel?

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
Hello, Nehemiah! I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. Since our Meet and Greet section is rather hidden at the moment, go here and start a new thread. Then where it says "no prefix," click on it and choose Meet and Greet. Glad you're here! ::D

Oct 2, 2022
Hello, Nehemiah! I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. Since our Meet and Greet section is rather hidden at the moment, go here and start a new thread. Then where it says "no prefix," click on it and choose Meet and Greet. Glad you're here! ::D
Thank you. I will do that right now.

Johne

Staff member
Sep 27, 2005
I've been trying to revise and edit my story, but it's boring me so badly, and I'm not sure why.
Boredom is a useful analytical tool. It tells you something is off with your story. The good news is you're not alone, and there are things you can do.

One of the first things I learned from my study of The Story Grid is to determine the content genre you're writing in and then making sure you're complying with the conventions and obligatory scenes. For instance, I'm writing a Fantasy / Noir on a Thriller foundation and discovered I was trying to shoehorn an Epic Action ending onto the end. When I realized that, I cut the ending that wasn't working and used something I'd already written that was in the appropriate genre, and everything fell neatly into place.

What genre story are you writing?

Johne

Staff member
Sep 27, 2005
Try the Conventions and Obligatory Scenes for a Thriller and see how your story stacks up.
My first chapter was just kind of eh and I looked through the list. I realized I was writing a Worldview chapter (a naive character looking for sophistication) when I really needed something that operated more along the lines of life and death (and the threat of damnation).

So I killed a guy and I was off to the races. Sometimes the answer is really easily defined along genre lines.

Apr 5, 2019
Silly question:

I've been trying to revise and edit my story, but it's boring me so badly, and I'm not sure why. It's not the normal editing grind; it's like something is off, and I can't make myself bother with the manuscript until I solve it. I attempted to place my finger on it for a while, but I'm not sure.

😅 Any advice?

I just got done talking about this in another thread.

The ending of my next book was "off." The message I wanted to convey just was not coming across. Over 95% of the book was the way I wanted it, but the ending just wasn't doing it for me.

The thing for me was to get the 95% of the book finalized while I left the other 5% stew. I created an ending of sorts, and got the book out to beta readers, letting them know the that ending was going to change. During that time, I rewrote the ending. When the beta reader comments came back, I got everything finalized with the new ending, and sent it out to the editor.

The long and the short of it is that this ending has been rewritten three times now. I'm just now finishing up with the final version of it. And since the manuscript came back, I've been active plugging holes in the story before I send it off for a proofread.

I then remembered that I was doing the same thing with THE REVENANT AND THE TOMB - fixing and finishing things all they up to the day I sent it off to be copyrighted. In fact, even after I registered it, I was changing small things - misspellings, missing words, etc. - all the way up to sending it to get the manuscript formatted.

Even now, while it sounds and reads like a decent book, I'm always feeling uneasy about publishing. Like I may have missed something.

Even if you think the book is "off," push through it. And in the interim, think about what bothers you. If you cannot come up with a reasonable conclusion, then it's most likely nerves. If there are story elements that bother you? Those are the things you need to look at.

So, my advice is to keep going.

May 28, 2019
Be kind to yourself. Go for a walk. Spend time with friends and family. Do something different.

Ask yourself the question 'What if........

Let your brain relax and gradually filter through the answers before the light bulb pings.

I say this as someone who has just come out of this. I have two potential stories. One would be the first book in a series and the next one the last (I have witten bks 2 & 3). At first I didn't know which to work on. Then I got board and then I got dejected. Put both in the drawer. Gradually I realised what the issue was and it how it connected to both books. Now I am just mulling over the key plot points before working on them again.

It will come.

Recent Discussions