A Story that Tells Itself

Ragamuffin_John

Oct 12, 2013
I just watched the 2015 movie, “Remember” (Christopher Plummer, et al). Now, I’ve not dabbled in writing beyond my own musings on CW and a few other websites, but the flow of this movie helps me understand that if I ever get serious about penning a story or book, I want the action to “live itself out” where it all has a hands-off, relate itself feel—if that makes sense. Just watch the film, and I think you’ll see what I mean. The ending is a stunner—surprising, but then I thought, “Of course, if I had just ‘listened’ as it went along.”

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
Wellll, I couldn't find it for free to watch, so I did a little snooping and found the whole story Yup. I was right. Except that there was more than I guessed. Sounds like a good movie. Wish I could have seen it. ;)

Ragamuffin_John

Oct 12, 2013
Wow, Lynn. Case closed. From now on, when it comes to drama anything, I’ll ask myself, “What’s the most ironic twist possible to this?”

From my FireTV streaming service, I downloaded the “Tubi” icon. On Tubi, I searched for and watched it.

Nicola

May 24, 2017
We saw the movie with it was in cinemas. Very powerful testament to Plummer's acting skill, the journey of dementia, and the lengths some people will go to for justice/revenge.

What you say about the action living itself out is a great truth. Trust your reader to pick up on the clues. Trust your reader to realise they have missed clues and want to return again and again to the plot to discover more. Trust your reader to tell others about the riches they have found in your words.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
From my FireTV streaming service, I downloaded the “Tubi” icon. On Tubi, I searched for and watched it.
Hmmm...I tried tubi but got a totally different movie called Remember. My son was a filmographer in Hollywood (came to live with us a couple years ago) and he can get movies and put them on Plex. So he was able to get it for me so I'll try to watch it tonight.

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
What you say about the action living itself out is a great truth. Trust your reader to pick up on the clues. Trust your reader to realise they have missed clues and want to return again and again to the plot to discover more. Trust your reader to tell others about the riches they have found in your words.
Ooo...almost makes me want to write fiction. Nah! ;):D

Ragamuffin_John

Oct 12, 2013
We saw the movie with it was in cinemas. Very powerful testament to Plummer's acting skill, the journey of dementia, and the lengths some people will go to for justice/revenge.

That there, Nicola, is a keeper of a statement--from a veteran's checklist. Thank you.

Ragamuffin_John

Oct 12, 2013
Hmmm...I tried tubi but got a totally different movie called Remember. My son was a filmographer in Hollywood (came to live with us a couple years ago) and he can get movies and put them on Plex. So he was able to get it for me so I'll try to watch it tonight.
You know (and perhaps you do and I'm a Johnny come lately to this), with AI being what it is, I'll bet there are things about Tubi users' experiences that are not universal. Tubi the robot might be keeping track of our viewing history, and at the macro level (not just on that row that says something like "You may also like") showing the individual a la carte options that another might not see. Maybe you're at the advanced viewing level :)

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
You're probably right. So weird that you found but it didn't show up for me. I did find it on Tubi online. I'm not a fan of watching online. First, my laptop is only 13 inches! And second, I use my computer while watching a movie. Soooo...I'll check it out tonight on the TV. ;)

Ragamuffin_John

Oct 12, 2013
Gee! A movie with a story. How unusual! ;) Such a sad and depressing yet thoroughly captivating movie. Plummer is excellent. 👍
Yes, rather heavy. I had to dip into a bit of grace emphasis after that one. Even being selective is no guarantee….

On further review: so the demented Nazi’s “wife” was complete fiction. Sad how he mourned “her”. The first clue that I felt but didn’t grasp was during the fatal shooting in the house. It was surprising that one who clumsily wields a Glock could be such a swift, crack shot. Then, there’s this weighty reminiscing about the methodical way each of the four suspects were casually approached. Was this from the muscle memory of a prison camp monster, the awkwardness of a confused, ailing man—or all this rapped up into one ball? I’ll take away this lesson: “Your sin shall find you out”—aware or otherwise.

I keep asking myself, “Why am I not adamantly admonishing the one who sent out the twisted knight errant on the fateful mission?” Time for the reader to look inward, himself.

Last edited:

FeatherPen

May 8, 2022
Ooo...almost makes me want to write fiction. Nah! ;):D
I know you were teasing on this, but you can do both

All my fiction novels are based on some sort of controversy that is very real

For instance my novel on Tower Climbing was based loosely on the AT&T tragedy of the 3G upgrade. In that 123 tower climbers died due to the policy at the time

Another was based on the Clean Enegy Corridor

I just did another based on GarbageGate 2019 pretty much on a date by my girlfriend to write a page-turner romance novel on Garbage. I accepted the challenge and may have pulled it off

lynnmosher

Staff member
Feb 21, 2007
Thank you, FP. But this ol' noggin doesn't want to tackle that large a project. The way my life is now, what I'm doing works much better. ;) ::D

Recent Discussions