Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicholas Reicher

Tried some new Bible software

Tried the new version of PC Bible study. Here's what it was like...

herbert_lom.jpg.ec9f0b5722ae76127a96960555327589.jpg

I compared it's abilities to Logos. Something like this.

195957814_41NCyJGZsL.jpg.4eab9a132cc6ac5295ef70796a30fd5d.jpg

My report on the speed of Bible study using it...

sloth.thumb.jpg.0b9156d93d13b05ebe1812b945df0c7a.jpg

Oh, well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hmmm...I don't have an updated version but I've never had mine be slow. I found it much more user-friendly than Logos. The screen is much simpler. Sorry you don't like it. I love it! Wish I could upgrade.

• Like 1

The software isn't slow. The process is slow. I have to look at the text. switch tabs to read the commentary. Switch tabs to look ONLY at the lemma Greek - not the actual manuscript. then I have to right click to see the definition. No way to see how it's used throughout the Bible, so I have to grab an interlinear and manually look up the word page by page by page.

I can do this in Logos in a minute or less. You do the work in PC Bible Study, Logos does the work for you.

Yes, Logos takes about a day to learn to use. After that, it's lightning speed study.

• Like 1

Try this. If you want to search for a word in either Hebrew or Greek (or both, put the word in the search box and then click on KJV. You can click on OT or NT or both. That will give you the number of the word in Strong's. Then go to Strong's under the Greek/Hebrew button. Once it pulls up the definition, on the left will be Englishman's Concordance. That will give you all the usages of the word.

• Like 1

okay, the videos are probably for someone like me who can read a little Greek.

Easy way in Logos - right click on the word. Choose lemma. choose word study.

stare at the colorful display in wonder as literally every possible rendering of the lemma is shown, and what verses it's in.

Now drag it to a notefile that you'll never look at again, and go look up funny parrot videos on YouTube.

That's my study method.

• Like 1

LOL Thanks, Nicholas. Since I only have the freebie, I'll have to see if this all works. ;)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

okay, the videos are probably for someone like me who can read a little Greek.

Easy way in Logos - right click on the word. Choose lemma. choose word study.

stare at the colorful display in wonder as literally every possible rendering of the lemma is shown, and what verses it's in.

Now drag it to a notefile that you'll never look at again, and go look up funny parrot videos on YouTube.

That's my study method.

Simple!

• Like 1

I actually do this kind of study all the time. I want to know how often the word is used in the Bible. I want to know how it's translated elsewhere in the King James.

You all know basic words, like stop. Theres stopped, stopping, stopper, establish (variation of the lemma stop).

So when I look up Ginosko (I know), I know there's know, knowledge, knew, knowing, and a variety of other words., such as known, discern, perceive, aware, understood, etc.

• Like 1

If you want to see what verses are translated "Knowest", grab the little green wedge and drag it out slightly. Logos tells you. Great fun, and really informative.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I actually do this kind of study all the time. I want to know how often the word is used in the Bible. I want to know how it's translated elsewhere in the King James.

You all know basic words, like stop. Theres stopped, stopping, stopper, establish (variation of the lemma stop).

So when I look up Ginosko (I know), I know there's know, knowledge, knew, knowing, and a variety of other words., such as known, discern, perceive, aware, understood, etc.

Hubby used to sit on a love seat with a coffee table in front of him. And then he was surrounded by 4 feet of books that could be repurposed as weightlifting weights. (Strong's had to go five pounds, easily.) He had to reorganize the books just for a bathroom-stop while studying.

I'm not that organized to know when I might be needing the bathroom in the future, so only knew how to use Strong's.

Then came a desktop computer. And then came Esword. Esword sounds easier than what you're doing. What do you have against Esword? o_O

I'm not picking on PC Bible Study software, or its users. I'm just so used to Logos going through my library and giving me all the information I own on it without having to look it up.

And instead of copying and pasting information, I just drag it to a notefile in Logos, or a sermon document.

And when I create a sermon document, if any church hires me to pastor and they use Proclaim - why then, the sermon is ready to project.

I'm not kidding when I say I can do in a week the kind of research that used to earn you the title "Scholar".

Now I just have to work on the Gentleman part!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trust me when I say that there's so much to Logos, they actually have weekend-long seminars on how to use them!

The other day I accidentally clicked on a title in a search result, and something new opened up - and I've been using Logos since the 90's!

• Like 1

here's a helpful hint -listen to any John MacArthur sermon. Wait for the Greek word. Type it into the morph search tool in Logos, but add G: first.

Like his latest lemma craze of Ginomai or Doulos. So, g:ginomai or g:doulos

The search engine will open the morphological search tool for the word in actual Koine Greek.

Then take a screen capture of it and send it to all your friends.

"I'm searching for morphological studies in Koine Greek lemmas in Logos! What are you doing?"

"Eating ice cream."

Well, Ice cream wins, but anything else people will think you're brilliant,

• Haha 1